Dogs On Holidays

flame ryder

We are hiring a motorhome in oct and I am wondering if I should take all my 3 dogs with me. Originally we planned on taking just the small one but I will miss the other 2 boof heads so much it will spoil my holiday. On the other hand I dont want to be stuck because dogs are not allowed anywhere. Just one small one would be easy to sneak in somewhere that doesn't allow dogs (inside the motorhome), but the big ones...not so easy. All 3 of my dogs are very well behaved, I doubt they will be an issue, I am more worried that we will be limited where we can go with them. For other options we went and inspected a boarding kennel here the other day and I could not believe how small the space is. And this is a well known and respected kennel facility.

We have no set itinerary, just pick up the motorhome and hit the road for 10 days....so can anyone recommend good dog friendly places. We dont usually like staying in caravan parks, The motorhome is set up to be self sufficient. We like peace and quiet, bushwalking and wild, windswept beaches.

I am torn...take them or use the boarding kennel...or risk it and just take all 3? Arghh help

Is it 10 days within SA?

:D

Nah we'll probably keep to vic as their school hols will be finished by then and everywhere (hopefully) will be more peaceful.

Oh and for anyone wondering...we are allowed to take the dogs in the motorhome, it's dog friendly.

Oh and for anyone wondering...we are allowed to take the dogs in the motorhome, it's dog friendly.

Just a suggestion a drive along the road of the 12 Apostles should have plenty of areas where the dogs are allowed 'out'.

Or do what we did years ago. We went Outback to Broken Hill, then down in to Victoria and along the Murray River.

We managed fine with the Vizsla. We actually stayed in motels that were only too happy to let her be crated in our room.

Sounds so exciting! I would take all 3 myself.

:thumbsup:

The 12 apostles? Do you mean the Great Ocean road? Because I have heard that you are not even allowed to let your dogs out of the car in some places, I dunno if that's true, hopefully someone will verify.

Hmm Broken hill, now there's an idea, I do like outback places, but that is technically NSW and there's school hols in NSW at the time we are going....I think :confused:

The 12 apostles? Do you mean the Great Ocean road? Because I have heard that you are not even allowed to let your dogs out of the car in some places, I dunno if that's true, hopefully someone will verify.

Hmm Broken hill, now there's an idea, I do like outback places, but that is technically NSW and there's school hols in NSW at the time we are going....I think :confused:

Yeah, The Great Ocean Road. Gosh, did not know that had changed.

Well you could go up to The Mallee and The Wimera in Victoria?

I thought of this thread too...

Canetoad drove from Brisbane to Kalgoorlie. Dont exactly recall all the places he went. But there might be tips for you.

Yes, I love travelling. Such an adventure.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/256941-jonah-drives-across-australia/

I just looked on the map...will be picking it up East of Melbourne so will stick to that side I reckon. So warragul, Moe area...whats the Bunyip state park....and Moondarra state park, anyone familiar with these places? Dogs are allowed in state parks aren't they?

I just looked on the map...will be picking it up East of Melbourne so will stick to that side I reckon. So warragul, Moe area...whats the Bunyip state park....and Moondarra state park, anyone familiar with these places? Dogs are allowed in state parks aren't they?

According to Dogs Victoria, they are.

My link

Is it 10 days within SA?

:D

Nah we'll probably keep to vic as their school hols will be finished by then and everywhere (hopefully) will be more peaceful.

Who are you hiring through, if you are allowed to say...being dog friendly sounds good :)

Can't help you with Victoria but I have a couple of things you might want to think about before you go. We have a camper trailer and like to go with the dogs.

In winter, we leave our dogs in the car to get an evening meal but in summer will get take away and go find somewhere nice. We almost always do our own lunches, or get a take away lunch, we never leave the dogs in the car during the day for extended periods of time, it might be cool outside but WA still has warm sun even on a cool day.

We have put our dogs in kennels for the day when we go to national parks or to an event where they can't go. Outside school holidays this is easy enough to do without too much pre planning. Kennel owners tend not to be too strict about drop off and pick up times when it is quiet. Friends of ours went to northern WA and left their dogs in a pound for the day (organised and paid for beforehand, not just leaving them there!!)

Plan, plan, plan your itinerary and then plan a back up! We have arrived at camping spots only to find a bunch of undesirables there already, so it is handy to know of somewhere alternate nearby to go to.

When we first started taking our dogs, they were hyped up at being in new places, may not be a problem for some dogs but ours were over the top!

We are hiring a motorhome in oct and I am wondering if I should take all my 3 dogs with me. Originally we planned on taking just the small one but I will miss the other 2 boof heads so much it will spoil my holiday. On the other hand I dont want to be stuck because dogs are not allowed anywhere. Just one small one would be easy to sneak in somewhere that doesn't allow dogs (inside the motorhome), but the big ones...not so easy. All 3 of my dogs are very well behaved, I doubt they will be an issue, I am more worried that we will be limited where we can go with them. For other options we went and inspected a boarding kennel here the other day and I could not believe how small the space is. And this is a well known and respected kennel facility.

We have no set itinerary, just pick up the motorhome and hit the road for 10 days....so can anyone recommend good dog friendly places. We dont usually like staying in caravan parks, The motorhome is set up to be self sufficient. We like peace and quiet, bushwalking and wild, windswept beaches.

I am torn...take them or use the boarding kennel...or risk it and just take all 3? Arghh help

I'd suggest leaving them all at home because this is the type of attitude and actions that see those of us who do take the "no dogs' policies of others seriously , left with reduced choices as the years go by.

I am a bit concerned about the Idea that a small dog can be snuck in to areas where dogs are not permitted. I am involved with a community dog owners group and we spend a huge amount of time negotiating with our local council. One of the biggest issues we face is the reaction to the community when dog owners do not do the right thing.

If you do decide to take your dog or dogs with you then please follow the rules. It makes it very difficult for dog owners to keep their rights when others break the rules.

Now I am off my soap box we have holidayed in the area with our dog and the off lead areas are limited but lots of on lead walks around. The limitation is where you stay may be difficult.

HI

As long as your motorhome hire company is dog friendly go for it! My 2 Whippets and I live in a motorhome full time, as do many other friends and their humans, and we have very little issues at all!

Will pm you with some of the camps I know of in the area.

But a heads up, Gt Ocn Rd is not only not very pet friendly, it is not very motorhome friendly either unless you stay in CP's just about all the time, or so I have found.

Generally speaking, the less 'iconic' 1st class, well travelled, main stream touristy a place is the more you meet nice people, enjoy un-trendy but really interesting places and the more laid back people are about dogs...

Some of my friends have been living on the road for in excess of 10 years with their dogs....

Annie

Edited by pawsaroundoz

Thanks for all the replies. I really think we are going to take them. They are a part of our family and it would not be complete without them. No doubt we'll run into some places they just can't go but that's the sacrifices one pays for having dogs. The idea of putting them in boarding kennels just for a night or 2 while we may want to go into a national park is a good one.

As for sneaking my small dog in well...he would most likely be in the motorhome asleep on the bed, when awake he is quiet as a mouse and hardly ever leaves my side. Hubby and I are a bit over rules when it's ok for governments to break them with mining, logging and un-neccasary burning off in National parks so we feel sneaking one tiny dog in is nothing compared to the environmental vandalism we are currently seeing with the Abbot government. Now I'll get off my soapbox!

For those of you asking who we are hiring our motorhome through, that I will reveal later, AFTER our holiday. If we are happy I will gladly pass on the details.