Breed Help...please!

maybel

Dear doggy experts, I really need your help! We are wanting to add another member to our family and I have been researching breeds like crazy and keep finding negatives about all of them. I'd love to get your advice and suggestions based on your real life experience.

We have 2 teenage children and a large fenced yard. Currently dogless but have previously had small dogs - 1 had major allergy issues so we are trying to avoid dogs with known major health issues (I do realise it is a lottery). We are looking for a small to medium sized dog. My wish list is - happy with a 30 minute walk most days (plus play time/training), reasonable grooming (eg weekly brush), reasonable shedding (we can cope with some shedding but would prefer a low to medium shedder outside of cat blows), watch dog but not a nuisance barker (I realise this involves training - it's more about finding a breed open to being trained this way!), happy to be alone at home and outside during school hours (but inside the rest of the time), not going to completely destroy my yard and everything we own (I do realise that all dogs dig a bit and will chew/destroy as puppies), good with kids, good with other dogs (we may get another one down the track). As I said, this is a wish list and we can compromise as I realise we won't get all of this - it's just really hard getting good information to make an informed decision as most websites seem to focus on the negatives.

Some breeds (and the negatives from websites) that we have looked at: King Charles Cavalier (health issues, don't like to be left alone, heavy shedders), Cocker Spaniels (barkers, don't like to be left alone,lots of grooming required), West Highland Terriers (temperament issues, heavy grooming required), beagles (diggers, barkers, don't like to be left alone), Australian Shepherds (need more exercise than we can provide, may have serious health issues, particuarly NBT), Finnish Lapphunds (need a lot of grooming and shed heavily once desexed - the websites don't actually say this but the facebook posts by the owners seem to suggest this), Tollers (need more exercise than we can offer).

I know that the "right" dog from any breed will be better than the websites suggest but we are trying to narrow down to 1-2 breeds that would suit us best. Please feel free to correct anything I have written above based on your experience with those breed (or to add more negatives if I have missed anything!). We are also open to other suggestions - our number one priority is to find a dog who would be happy with us (looks and size some second).

Please be nice...I really am trying to do the right thing and research before making any rash decisions.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Cocker Spaniels go I wouldn't call them barkers. Ours will bark if there is a stranger near his territory which fits your watch dog requirement. Other than that they can be a bit whiny and vocal which some people may find annoying.

When you mention grooming are you ok to take the dog to a groomers every 6 weeks or so? As long as you keep the hair relatively short their day to day grooming isn't much. You can get away with giving them a quick brush every few days and focus on the areas that knot easily. If you want to grow the coat out in winter then ideally you want to brush them daily but it won't take long if you keep on top of it.

And finally they can suffer from separation anxiety but as long as they get used to spending time alone from day 1 they should be ok. My inlaws have always had cockers as only pets and not had a problem when they both worked full time, ours was a second dog when my husband got him and consequently didn't adjust very well we he became an only pet so we rescued a mature dog to keep him company and not had any major issues since then.

With Cockers make sure the breeder tests for PRA and FN, ours is 6 years old and almost blind because the breeder didn't test for PRA at the time.

Also you'll find dogs either shed lots or need grooming. All dogs shed fur but with the low shedding dogs the dead fur stays in the coat and you need to brush it out so they don't get matted.

Low shedding dogs need clipping as well as the fur keeps growing

I think out of your list that Cocker Spaniels and Aussie Shepherds would work for you :)

Both of these would enjoy the stimulation of some training - tricks or obedience or agility. Fun things for teenagers to do with them :) They have long hair but should be manageable with regular brushing, the Cockers will need regular trips to a groomer for clipping.

No breed is perfect for everyone, but if you find the right one, it will be perfect for you :)

You could look into Border Terriers? We've only had the one so I am by no means an expert on the breed, but based on my experience with our dog they could fit your criteria. Great with kids, good watch dog but not yappy, nice size, sturdy but portable etc. I think they are worth looking into for your situation.

Oh, and I also realized our lab growing up pretty much lived in your exact circumstances. So maybe a lab from the right lines could work too?

Edited by kiwifeathers

You could look into Border Terriers? We've only had the one so I am by no means an expert on the breed, but based on my experience with our dog they could fit your criteria. Great with kids, good watch dog but not yappy, nice size, sturdy but portable etc. I think they are worth looking into for your situation.

sorry nothing constructive to add, but just want to post how much I love that "sturdy but portable" description! :laugh:

I do think Beagles could suit you, they are a compact sized dog (not too big, not too small, just right :) ). As a breed, they generally get along with everyone - people, kids, other dogs and other animals - with ease. Any dog can become bored if left to their own devices and without the right amount of mental and physical stimulation, which in turn will lead to things like digging (personally my beagle has never been a digger).

IMO Beagles can make great family pets, they are outgoing and friendly, they should and generally do have good nerves (the last thing you want in a family is a nervous dog) and they are usually very food driven which means they are easy to motivate for training.

However I do think Beagles are enjoyed most by a certain type of person, I find people either love Beagles or don't particularly enjoy their 'houndiness'.

I think the best thing you could do is go to a dog show or speak to more breeders of the breeds you are interested in and get a better feel for each breed you are looking at. Sometimes on paper a breed may look right, but in reality you may not 'click' with it.

ETA: My beagle is happiest being inside during the day, and she has never been destructive so I haven't had a problem letting her have free access to the house. I wouldn't do this with a puppy, though!

Edited by huski

I don't have much breed advice to give... but wanted to add a word on barking.

I find that the way your yard and house is set up has a big impact on how much barking a dog will do.

If your dog can see out of its yard easily, it will bark more.

If your dog can see out of your house onto the street easily it will most likely bark more.

If you don't have a fence that separates your front yard from your backyard (or you keep your dog in the front yard) it will bark more. Usually a hell of a lot more!

You can do a lot to reduce barking just by ensuring your dog doesn't have a good view of things going on outside of your property.

Barking during play or to get your attention is slightly different, and a bit more susceptible to training.

From what you've written, I'd suggest you consider a Welsh Cardigan Corgi (that's not a Pembroke, like the Queen has).

As kids, our family owned a Cardigan Corgi, Biddy ... and she was a brilliant all-round family dog. Sensible, happy even temperament, sociable and adaptable to the range of family activities & needs. Biddy was as happy keeping an eye on the kids in the back garden, as pottering around with my mother... and as going out for weekends on the boat in Moreton Bay accompanying the men on their fishing trips (that's how sensible she was!).

I looked up the breeders' pages on Dogzonline to give you the link... & I was chuffed to see one breeder use the same words to describe what he wants to produce...happy, friendly, sensible dogs:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/welsh-corgi-cardigan.asp

Good on you for doing research. The next step will be to actually go to shows & talk with breeders (of whichever breeds have caught your interest). There's no generalization for any breed...so it'll be necessary to actually talk with & visit breeders and see individual circumstances. The breeders, too, will appreciate how you've been clear about what your home & family have to offer.

Ye gods, I just made the mistake of looking at the Cardigan Corgi Puppies Available page on Dogzonline. :) Reminded me why we loved our Biddy:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/welsh-corgi-cardigan.asp?state=

Edited by mita

Australian Shepherds (need more exercise than we can provide, may have serious health issues, particuarly NBT)

I don't have much breed advice but um, I really don't know how true this is. I think as a whole the Australian Shepherd is a fairly healthy breed and I haven't heard of many serious health issues with NBTs. My girl is a NBT so if this is true can someone please PM me cause I'd like to know more!

I know merle to merle breedings can produce serious health issues but have not heard that about NBTs??? :confused:

As a side note, my Aussie shepherd sheds a LOT. :laugh: Especially during seasonal coat blows, holy mackerel. You may want to consider that aspect if you are seriously thinking about an Aussie.

Australian Shepherds (need more exercise than we can provide, may have serious health issues, particuarly NBT)

I don't have much breed advice but um, I really don't know how true this is. I think as a whole the Australian Shepherd is a fairly healthy breed and I haven't heard of many serious health issues with NBTs. My girl is a NBT so if this is true can someone please PM me cause I'd like to know more!

I know merle to merle breedings can produce serious health issues but have not heard that about NBTs??? :confused:

As a side note, my Aussie shepherd sheds a LOT. :laugh: Especially during seasonal coat blows, holy mackerel. You may want to consider that aspect if you are seriously thinking about an Aussie.

Yeah I agree. As a breed they are pretty healthy.

They can be a handful though and (like any dog) need mental stimulation.

Leah is right - high shedding dogs don't need grooming as they shed their coats themselves. Low shredders like westies don't shed a lot but do require grooming regularly to keep their coats in good condition - so it's really personal preference - low shredders and grooming (you learn to do it or pay a groomer) or accept high shedding, regular vacuuming and fur around the place and no grooming expenses). In broad terms they're the choices from a coat perspective.

West Highland White Terriers have an independent (some would say stubborn) nature at times but I wouldn't say they have temperament problems. They are low-shedding therefore require grooming, alert barkers, not yappy and mine are smoochy affectionate lap-dogs. All of which seems to fit your requirements. The only thing to watch is lines with skin issues - which I find are kept easily under control with grain free food. They are one of the least dumped dogs in Australia according to pound statistics. They are rarely seen in pounds.

Having said that I also agree with Mita - there will always be individual variations between individual dogs of the same breed. I have three westies, two are puppy farm rescues, all from different sources/breeders and they are all great little dogs but very different physically and personality-wise.

I also agree with Mita - head to the shows if you can, and talk to a couple of breeders of breeds you like and go from there. It will really re- enforce for you how different individual dogs of the same breed are from each other. Remember though the breeders are very busy on show days... So expect they won't have a lot of time before they head to the ring. ( I usually go and talk with them after they're finished in the ring).

Lastly, obviously I'm biased towards westies, but another breed might fit your needs is a schnauzer - mini, standard or giant - but be aware they are not simply different sizes of the same breed - but quite different types and personalities. But maybe one of the schnauzer experts might pop along and fill you in with some more detail.

Hope that helps. :)

Just to clarify, as far as I am aware, the only problem with NBTs is possibly when they are an embryo. A dog born with an NBT is at no greater risk of problems than one born with a full tail. I think some of the confusion comes from the health problem in Manx cats. Aussie NBTs are just as healthy as their fully tailed counter parts. Here is a link explaining in more detail

http://www.animalnetwork.com.au/tests/index.php?testid=14

Maybe a bit bigger than you are considering but IMO worth a look is an Airedale Terrier. Yes the digging may be a problem but most of your other requirements would be met and by making a secure area away from your garden the digging could be contained. Not all Airedales are diggers by a long shot.

Just to clarify, as far as I am aware, the only problem with NBTs is possibly when they are an embryo. A dog born with an NBT is at no greater risk of problems than one born with a full tail. I think some of the confusion comes from the health problem in Manx cats. Aussie NBTs are just as healthy as their fully tailed counter parts. Here is a link explaining in more detail

http://www.animalnet...x.php?testid=14

Just as I thought as I had never come up with any serious problems with NBTs when I was researching the breed.. :) Thank you very much for the information and clarification, teekay.