Breed Help...please!

maybel

Agree with others about NBTs, homozygous NBTs do not survive pregnancies.

I believe the major concerns are testable diseases and the results of double merles.

But either way I would not recommend an Aussie for what you want.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love all of the breeds so far mentioned,.Also I'm thinking a Japanese Spitz or Keeshond.I have owned both of these breeds and they are fantastic ,loving companions.Both breeds need grooming 6 weekly,and a brush through about once a week.Loyal,fun great in a family environment .If not well trained they can be vocal,but I think this applies to most dogs. Good Luck :)

Thank you for all your comments so far - this is extremely helpful.

In relation to the barking - our back yard is completely closed off from the front yard (solid gates) so this should help. We would definitely plan to visit dog shows to see breeds in real life (some I have some experience with - I grew up with a cocker and a corgi)- I was just wanting to reduce our list a bit or we will need days to get around to see them all! You have given me a lot to think about.

Please keep the suggestions coming - any Finnish Lapphund people out there? They were scoring fairly highly in my research but I am not sure if the reality matches up to the marketing, particularly with respect to the shedding/grooming (I expect shedding to be horrendous a couple of times a year but is it bad all the time?)

For those who commented in the health issues in Aussies - my concerns came from a US website which quoted survey results from the US Aust Shepherd Club that, of the dogs surveyed (survey size unknown) 28% had allergies, 19% had cancer, 18% had cataracts, 22% had hip dysplasia and 12% had epilepsy. I am definitely not saying these are true and I recognise that the US has different breeding stock, but it was enough to prompt a question! On the NBT issue, one site (US again) said "the gene for a NBT can cause a defect leading to spinal defects, more commonly seen in a NBT mated to an NBT" - based on the info posted above I susect this is just wrong/given in the wrong context. I am only providing this as background to my original comments, not to make a point that Aussies have serious health issues - I really appreciate all the responses on this. I guess it just shows that you can't rely on everything you find on so called "official" sites (which is why I came to you all in the first place!).

Agree with others about NBTs, homozygous NBTs do not survive pregnancies.

I believe the major concerns are testable diseases and the results of double merles.

But either way I would not recommend an Aussie for what you want.

Thanks for your honesty Lisa. Would you elaborating a bit - is it the exercise requirements or more than this? The reason I ask is that my husband has Aussies at the top of his list so I need to be quite specific with him as to why they would not fit our lifestyle.

I was just elaborating for you now smile.gif

Just to expand on why I don't think an Aussie would be suitable. Obviously there are individual dogs and some lines are more energetic than others, but I wouldn't put my boy in the top range and this is my experience.

"We are looking for a small to medium sized dog." - An Aussie is on the larger side of Medium, they range in size greatly and males can go into the weight and size range of a "large" breed, indeed I was recommended to feed large breed food.

"My wish list is - happy with a 30 minute walk most days (plus play time/training)" - My 14mth old dog would not be content with this, 30minute jog/run, but walking would be 1hr+ and daily. Plus training and play.

"Reasonable grooming (eg weekly brush), reasonable shedding (we can cope with some shedding but would prefer a low to medium shedder outside of cat blows)"- My boy hasn't even grown a full adult coat yet and you should see the hair I got off him yesterday during a brush. He is not currently blowing coat either. His puppy coat tangled easily and needed daily combing especially behind ears and the pants.

"Watch dog but not a nuisance barker (I realise this involves training - it's more about finding a breed open to being trained this way!)" My boy is not a nuisance barker, but he is vocal, unfortunately I know multiple aussies with barking problems.

"Happy to be alone at home and outside during school hours (but inside the rest of the time)," This they would pass.

"Not going to completely destroy my yard and everything we own (I do realise that all dogs dig a bit and will chew/destroy as puppies)." Without enough exercise and mental stimulation this may be a problem.

"good with kids, good with other dogs (we may get another one down the track)" I think some may be fine, some won't.

Edited by LisaCC

Maybel good to see your sensible approach to this and your research - well done.

Aussies are fantastic dogs - on my bucket list for what it's worth. But any dog can have problems so it's a case I think of finding a breed you like, selecting a breeder you like and can work with who breeds and shows good healthy dogs and then dealing with whatever happens with your individual puppy/dog.

With my three - Mac has been incredibly high maintenance but Andy is so low maintenance he's in danger of becoming the invisible dog if I'm not careful - and they are both puppy farm rescues from the same puppy farm. So in the end there's an element of 'the luck of the draw'. Bit like a marriage - 'for better or for worse'.

ETA: great post Lisa!!!

Edited by westiemum

I would have thought some of the smaller end Aussie bitches would definitely fit into the medium category and I know form having BCs training/mental stimulation is more important then necessarily just taking them for a "walk". There are also much higher drive puppies and more cruisy chilled pups from within the same litter so whatever breed its definitely worth finding a good breeder. Again with amount of coat - different lines seem to carry heavier coats then others.

Go out to shows and have a chat to breeders or email them and ask if they mind if you call at a set time with questions. Worth getting the right breed and match. Maybe even a slightly older rehome from a breeder might be suitable to if you weren't necessarily looking at a puppy.

I would have thought some of the smaller end Aussie bitches would definitely fit into the medium category and I know form having BCs training/mental stimulation is more important then necessarily just taking them for a "walk". There are also much higher drive puppies and more cruisy chilled pups from within the same litter so whatever breed its definitely worth finding a good breeder. Again with amount of coat - different lines seem to carry heavier coats then others.

Go out to shows and have a chat to breeders or email them and ask if they mind if you call at a set time with questions. Worth getting the right breed and match. Maybe even a slightly older rehome from a breeder might be suitable to if you weren't necessarily looking at a puppy.

Of course, just looking at the Aussie thread there is an one adult male at under 20kgs and another at 30-31kgs. The point of my post is that they range greatly, but I don't think that hoping you get a small one, with less drive, and less coat is the best way to go about things.

The cruisiest puppy in terms of drive may end up being the biggest dog with a massive coat.

Edited by LisaCC

Hence my suggestion of possibly considering an older rehome when the temperament might also be more clear. I know there are some smaller BCs around who breeders end up having to rehome because they haven't met the height standard or alternatively they are quieter and not flashy enough for the ring and I presume the Aussie's are no different.

Thanks for all these comments. We will definitely be looking at mature dogs and also speaking with breeders once we have narrowed down the list - if we went with a puppy we would rely heavily on the breeder's views as to which one (if any) is a good match for us. I should clarify that size (and to some degree the shedding issues) are of less concern to us than temperament and our ability to meet the dog's needs and keep it happy.

A fabulous typo in my original post - obviously I meant "coat blow" and not "cat blow"!!!!

Yes one of the advantages of a mature dog (dog that is no longer a puppy) is that they are what they are.

You know how their temperament has turned out, you know exactly how big they are, and you know their likes and dislikes etc.

Edited by raineth

If there the breeds your interested in then its a list of chalk & cheese .

Every breed has its negativ & any puppy purchaser should be aware of them BUT some sites on the net are often misleading or over dramatic or give out incorrect info in the whole scheme of things or are created by people who actually have no real clue .

I would imagine the NBT issue is a breeder that solely breeds natural bobs to natural bobs generation after generation Then yes that is an issue but no sane breeder would breed that way .

All shedding dogs need brushing ,an Aussie would need just as much brushing as a westie ,they coat may shed differently but matts/dags occur on both so need breed is easier in that regard .

Matted pants on breed like Aussies & goldies are because people say they heavily shed & will fall out it doesnt :eek: .

I agree to to some shows & look at breeds or look on the breed pages on this site & see what breeds you like the look off & go from there

I think a Cocker spaniel could suit, especially the size and grooming (I had family who got theirs clipped every Spring & brushed her between), I don't know about their exercise but they seem to have hearts of gold and get along well with children :) it would depend on the breeder's dogs and their lines then what comes out in a litter.

Aussies are actually a healthy breed as long as the breeder does the right thing and gets all the necessary tests done and picks their breedings well. They do need a fair amount of exercise though, I find my 1yo male still has some go left even after a decent run (came with me yesterday on a 5km trail ride with my horse and he probably covered twice as much ground as us! Crazy dog). That said he does spend a fair bit of the day snoring in the lounge room hahaha. I've also brushed him three days in a row this week and can't believe how much hair comes out each time eek1.gif totally worth it though, it really depends on how committed you are to a breed IMO.

Have you considered a Stafford? I know they're not for everyone but they often have wonderful temperaments and make great family dogs!! Not sure about their exercising but the short coat would make it easier to clean up after.

My three cavs fit your needs perfectly.

2 of them don't shed much at all. One does, but with brushing and a good diet this has decreased tremendously.

And none of them have health issues. They are 1,3 and 6. No heart, patella, ear or eye issues *touch wood!

They are usually walked once a day, but one of them is injured at the moment so none of them have gone out for 2 days now and no one is too concerned about it!

There are 3 of them now, but i previously had a cav who was an only dog and alone while we were out (school hours) and Kokoda was an only dog for 2 years and had no issues.

You just have to give them attention and let them follow you around when you do get home. Mine just sleep during the day whether i am home or not :laugh:

ETA: yopu just have to get one from a breeder that A: does all the health tests and B: doesn't have extremely heavily coated dogs.

You can also clip them. I clip Henry as he had skin issues, and it also cut down shedding, so i keep him in a 'cockerlier' cut :laugh:

Just like a mini cocker spaniel :) it grows back normally every time for those concerned about that

Edited by denali

I'd be happy with a Staffy but unfortunately my husband was bitten by one as a kid (probably very poorly bred or even a cross breed) and won't even consider it - so, no "nanny dog" for us.

A question for those with longer coated breeds - with the shedding, are we talking about large amounts of hair dropping out of the coat onto floors, clothing etc (which has been my experience with smaller dogs with short coats) or lots coming out in the brush (with a weekly brush which I guess becomes a daily brush during a coat blow)? Or is it a mixture of both? Sorry if that is a stupid question....

If you don't mind hair in your coffee, pockets and other strange places then a Husky could be the dog for you :laugh:

Seriously though, my Husky stopped dropping hair this Winter, it has been great! In the other months he will continually shed. We have floor boards so it is easy to sweep up with those floor duster type thingies. We have a couple of lint rollers for clothes and we use a dyson cordless stick vac.

I didn't really notice to much incidental shedding (as in noticeable amounts of fur around) when we just had one Border Collie. I have been neglecting there grooming a little bit lately as we have been super busy and even then its not bad. What I do find extremely useful with a coated breed is a dog dryer. Great for blowing out loose coat when they are dropping coat and just generally. Mine are both desexed bitches though and don't really drop huge amounts of coat.

I have been told that short hair breeds seem to lose more fur around the house year round then a coated breed.