11 Things That Humans Do That Dogs Hate

sheena

I read this the other day and thought it was great. Had to laugh when I visited mum yesterday and her wolfhound cross jumped up, and wrapped her front legs around me to give me her customary hug... I don't think anyone gave her the memo that dogs don't like to be hugged :laugh:

Ooh interesting list! I'll have to keep it in mind because I might be guilty of a couple.

Hugging is one of them embarrass.gif but he is just as bad! He comes up and sits in my lap (I'll sit on the floor) then if I pat him he'll rub his body all over me like a cat! Mostly so I can get all the itchy spots laugh.gif

Guilty of the first three (see my recent thread on talking to dogs!). My dogs 'seem' to like being touched on the head and face though. I like to rub them where they like it and I might start around the back of the ears and they will be moving themselves around so I'm rubbing around their eye sockets and the like. Tempeh in particular seems to like her skull, eye sockets and snout being rubbed. Plus she often leans in to give me a kiss so I give her one back. One thing I try to avoid ever rubbing is the front of their chest. I was told by a dog whisperer guy that in the wild the only time a dog would be touched there is when mating so to avoid it. I do and my dogs never try to manoeuvre my hands there.

Great article for new dog owners and children, as time goes on you do learn there are a few exceptions to the rules :p

Sarah loves a good cuddle, I was wary of making her uncomfortable at first so I'd give her a short little hug while she was sitting down, when I stopped she'd hop up on me or put her paw on my leg, so of course I would oblige and give her more cuddles :p

And while I don't like being patted on the head there's nothing better than a head massage :D

I've also heard that rabbits don't like being patted on the face, well tell that to my previous bunny spike, he used to constantly put his face under my hand demanding pats

They are good as general rules - particularly for people who aren't so good at reading canine body language and when meeting unfamiliar dogs.

My dogs love cuddles from me but are not at all keen if someone else crowds them.

I pat cats that I don't know in a very specific way.

There is nothing wrong with talking to dogs. But when training I keep my mouth closed unless I am using praise or using/teaching a verbal cue - the latter is more difficult than most people think…

Good article but completely disagree with the first two. My dogs love hugs and face rubs. When I'm grooming customers dogs, I cuddle the nervous ones during their grooming session and I feel the tension leave their bodies, seems to be the best way to relax them. Same with talking in a gentle voice.

I think what dogs enjoy or at least don't mind is very different when you're talking about your own dog who loves and trusts you and can read you very well vs. when it's a dog and a non-family member or a stranger. Depends on where you are and what else is going on as well.

Quinn is quite happy to be hugged by me when we're relaxing on the couch or lying in bed but if we're at the park it pretty clear she'd rather be unrestrained and keeping an eye on what's going on around us all. Riley literally throws himself into my arms to be held and is happy to lie upside down like a baby with me but if someone he doesn't know tries to pick him up he is extremely u comfortable and will move away. Saxon's quite happy for me to give him head scratches and play with his hair and rub his ears but he's not so keen on other people doing it.

As far as talking to them goes, I do feel mean sometimes when I'm rambling away (to them because there's no one else around) about something that isn't to do with them and I'm getting attentive head tilts as they try to figure out what I'm telling them! :o

ETA snap everyone else!

Edited by Simply Grand

..a face rub by an owner is VERY different, IMO to an open hand - PAT PAT PAT on the top of the head that I see so many people do :(

I have seen dogs bite (unknown) kids who went up to them and hugged them .

I think it's a good list for non-dog-savvy people !!

Bindi loves a cuddle & a kiss. She is always trying to get as close to me as she can. The boy dog only just tolerates it & you can see on his face that he really wishes that I would go away, cause he thinks it's only for sissies :laugh: Not sure about the talking thing :confused: I talk a lot to them & never thought it could do any harm. A lot of the time, the things I say to them & think they probably understand, not really what I am saying but by the tone of my voice. The boy dog, when he stuffs up the weaves or misses a contact, we always mark it with an "whoops", now he gets in before we can say it & says "Wooooooooops" :laugh: I don't "pat" on the head, but I will gently rub around their ears & elsewhere. I think some people are a little heavy handed with the pat. Good points to keep in mind when engaging with other people's dogs, though.

Great article. I particularly agree with the point about walking your dog too. I see so many dogs that are made to walk like little soldiers without being able to explore even a little. It's sad.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think that if dogs had written that article, they would have added:

I hate it when humans bath me in smelly shampoo;

I hate it when humans engulf themselves/the house in smelly sprays.

We rarely think about how sensitive the dog's nose is, and how strong some of the synthetic smells we coat ourselves in must be to them.

To the list of crimes against the nose we could add:

I hate it when my human comes home smelling of other dog and doesn't fess up to who they've been with and why!

Anne I house/dog sat for someone and when we went on walks with the owner it was all distance and time on a short, taut leash for both dogs. I think there is an element of exercise and an element of boredom breaking so a walk on a short, tight leash must be pretty damn boring if you can't also go off on tangents if you've smelt something interesting. My walks are more meanders. As long as it is safe I let the dogs dictate direction and turns because it is not my walk, it's theirs.

Nova comes for snuggles with me and loves a good head scratch, but does not like other people touching his head and I don't think he would appreciate cuddles from other people.

He would much prefer them to scratch that amazing spot above the butt laugh.gif

Agreed this is good, especially for children.