Puppy With Sensitive Stomach

San&paul

My moorings are in WA. Isn't it illegal to sell a pup at 6 weeks in NSW? (If my memory serves, they need to be 8 wks and microchipped . . . maybe vet certificate as well).

If you choose to report the breeder in question, you will be doing a favor. Their behavior is near-criminal, and the world will be a slightly better place if they are held accountable.

Hi guys,

Thank you for some more fantastic advice. When you say it's not recommended to eat mince but cut up meat in chunks instead , can you suggest some types of meats for me to try. It makes sense what your saying about its better for chewing with their teeth.

Also on the breeder, I do think she is dodge. I payed $950 for Abel & I thought I would get something that said he is purebred, & I've had him for 4 weeks now & thought I would of received some sort of paperwork back from the council saying he's registered to us. She made us fill in the paperwork & said she would send it but I haven't revived anything.

When we went to first view the pups & I got to choose, she made us stay outside & the putrid smell that was oozing out of her house was horrid. I took a photo of the dog, but when she bought Abel, he was not the dog I chose. The markings were different but me being me, I just loved him instantly & I could not send him back. Not with those eyes looking at me like I am his whole world. This made me question why was she pushing a dog that firstly, I did not choose, secondly was too young & I wasn't prepared for him & when I said " look I'm actually sick ATM & I can't get him & I don't even have food or a bed ready", she said "I'll bring him to you" & drove all the way from Medford to Medowie which is like 30ks away & said I have spare food to get you through. Thirdly, after not even a week later he starts bleeding from his bowels. So after all that, with people saying take him back, there was no way I was doing that to him. This sounds silly, but to me, he is in my heart & I would protect him like a mother lion does her cubs & sending him back there would be like feeding him to the wolves.

He's booked in next week to the vets, & I will talk to her about his leg, do you have any advice on specific test or what I should be asking her to do? It really is annoying him.

His pretty good with toilet training, just need to get him through the night. I don't have a crate, but I used a old bassinet & put his bed in it beside my bed at night, that way I hear him rustle & I can take him to the toilet & he goes back to sleep. It works for now, & the house gets more sleep as he doesn't cry through the nigh like he use to cause he knows I'm close.

post-52445-0-01488300-1407542391_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Thank you for some more fantastic advice. When you say it's not recommended to eat mince but cut up meat in chunks instead , can you suggest some types of meats for me to try. It makes sense what your saying about its better for chewing with their teeth.

Also on the breeder, I do think she is dodge. I payed $950 for Abel & I thought I would get something that said he is purebred, & I've had him for 4 weeks now & thought I would of received some sort of paperwork back from the council saying he's registered to us. She made us fill in the paperwork & said she would send it but I haven't revived anything.

When we went to first view the pups & I got to choose, she made us stay outside & the putrid smell that was oozing out of her house was horrid. I took a photo of the dog, but when she bought Abel, he was not the dog I chose. The markings were different but me being me, I just loved him instantly & I could not send him back. Not with those eyes looking at me like I am his whole world. This made me question why was she pushing a dog that firstly, I did not choose, secondly was too young & I wasn't prepared for him & when I said " look I'm actually sick ATM & I can't get him & I don't even have food or a bed ready", she said "I'll bring him to you" & drove all the way from Medford to Medowie which is like 30ks away & said I have spare food to get you through. Thirdly, after not even a week later he starts bleeding from his bowels. So after all that, with people saying take him back, there was no way I was doing that to him. This sounds silly, but to me, he is in my heart & I would protect him like a mother lion does her cubs & sending him back there would be like feeding him to the wolves.

He's booked in next week to the vets, & I will talk to her about his leg, do you have any advice on specific test or what I should be asking her to do? It really is annoying him.

His pretty good with toilet training, just need to get him through the night. I don't have a crate, but I used a old bassinet & put his bed in it beside my bed at night, that way I hear him rustle & I can take him to the toilet & he goes back to sleep. It works for now, & the house gets more sleep as he doesn't cry through the nigh like he use to cause he knows I'm close.

I don't think it's a problem to feed mince. I often buy a couple of Kg of meat or chicken thigh or breast meat from my butcher and ask him to mince it for me. I sometimes buy good quality minced meat of all varieties from the supermarket and my dogs have suffered no ill effects. Dog's digestive systems are pretty sturdy and can cope with a myriad of bacteria without any issues. I think this was actually the point of someone saying not to feed packaged mince. As long as your dog is getting the chewing action from chicken wings, necks or part of a chicken frame I would happily feed him minced meat.

Your breeder does sound a bit dodgy to me. I wouldn't count on receiving the pup's registration papers but I would certainly persist in emailing and calling her to ask for them. I will say here that the price you paid for your pup is less than the breeder of my dogs charges for a Cavalier with pedigree papers.

You are responsible for registering your dog with the council. This has nothing to do with the breeder. Just call your council and ask them to send you the paperwork. Fill it in an you will receive your dog's registration tag in the mail. You could go to the council in person and do all this if you wish.

About the pup's leg. When you go to the vet tell her you're very concerned about the leg and ask her to test for a luxating patella. You can Google luxating patella for your own info but don't believe everything you read. Just get a general idea what a patella is and it's function.

I would definitely buy a crate if I were you. Any day now the pup will be able to jump out of the bassinet you have him in. Look on Ebay for a 30" crate. That's the size crates each of my Cavaliers have. Crates are not expensive. A crate will assist you with house training the pup and you can pop him in the crate with a kong or a toy when you are not able to watch him. It will save you a lot of hassle and will prevent him getting into mischief and chewing your belongings.

A crate will also help when you need to leave the house and leave him on his own for an hour or two without him freaking out. If he is a pup who gets upset when you leave the house, post a question and we will assist you with info on how to train him to get used to being alone for a while.

You sound like you are being a great mum to him :)

In regards to the breeder if she is registered & sold him as a registered puppy then you should definately receive papers for him.

When I purchased my Lucy 3 years ago it took 6 months for me to receive the papers. (I'm in Perth & purchased her from NSW) I contacted dogsNSW & they were really, really helpful.

Their email address is [email protected]

From memory I just had to give them the breeders prefix & Lucy's DOB & maybe her microchip number. Turned out that the breeder hadn't even registered the litter but they must have followed her up on that as I did eventually receive the papers.

I would be inclined to let them know that they sold the pup to you so young as well.

I sometimes feed mine turkey mince but generally they have a chicken wing at night & kibble in the morning. I think the chicken wings are good for keeping their teeth clean.

I second cavNrott about the crate. They are invaluable.

He is super duper cute BTW.

Please let us know how you get on :)

Just in regard to biting the leg.... My Cavalier would do this and would also jump up suddenly from her sleep. She had hip dysplasia and would get spasms and this was the only way to try and relieve it. She would look behind her to see who was annoying her!

Once she had her trigger point therapy to release the muscles all was good.

Not to say that ur pup has HD but maybe some sort of "kink" in a muscle.

She could also not eat chicken or chicken based kibble. That gave her the runs and scratching. Red meat only and if it was really bad white fish and potato to settle her down.

Good luck! YOur pup is beautiful :)

Metford to Medowie is like 20 minutes away, she's one very very bad breeder from the sounds of it all.

Irrawang & Thornton Veterinary Hospitals are very good vets, there is a clinic in Raymond Terrace, if you find the vet you go to is not sufficient.

Your little one sounds like he's had a rocky start but you are doing really well.

• 4 weeks later...