What To Put In A Yard

OSoSwift

As above,

I have dog boarding kennels. I am currently building some day yards, then I am going to build a very large dog exercise yard.

I want to put things in there dogs will enjoy playing with/on

Currently I am going to get a large cement drainage pipe, cover it with sand and grass so they can go through and over. I am also going to put some pieces of concrete leach drain in with areas on the top they can jump up on, lay on etc.

I will also attach an Aissie dog toy it two to trees.

What fantastic ideas can all of the lovely DOLers give me to make this dog exercise area stimulating and fun for my dogs.

The area is around 60metres square.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about water, but we have a lot of tiger snakes around here and whilst it will be snake meshed I am not sure I want to give them something they will want in summer.

Digging sand corner - great idea :)

There are bunnies occasionally outside the fence, plus birds that like to tease, the odd cow or two and hundreds of sheep :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Water? Digging sand?

Oh and some duckies and bunnies maybe :D

Plastic or real duckies or bunnies?

(Soz just j/k).

thinking this is going to be a neat backyard.

Been thinking of a trip to WA. Could bring Horrible Herbert too

:thumbsup:

I could get dokken!!!

Will add that to the toy box list :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Definitely real ones VM :laugh: Would keep Miss E occupied for hours!

See your point about the water Oso. If you're going to spend the $ on Dokkens make sure you get small ones. Em will retrieve pheasant size ones but most dogs would only do it with training. I think grass and sand is plenty - you don't want dogs skidding on aggregate. Toys wise - stuff that SQUEAKS :thumbsup:

It would be cool if you could rig up a shallow pool with a drain so you can just fill on very hot days and not worry about water quality. One of those sail shade cloths would also be good. Perhaps a hammock or two would be nice. Maybe a jumping hoop and a seesaw???

That's about all I can think of right now.

Aussiedog toys. Home Alones and Staffy balls primarily.

Tablets with short legs, or platforms...but I'm not sure if this is appropriate with risk concerns these days?

When I worked in a kennel errrrr...a very long time ago there was a little dog exercise yard and they loved the different levels.

The yard has 4 well established old trees so shade - and pee posts are not an issue.

I have clams shells which I use in summer so will use those but am hesitant to have a permanent water supply that will attract frogs which tiger snakes love.

The aggregate would be to big to eat, but was only a thought.

I have aggregate around the bottom of my dog fence at home and the pieces are far too big to be swallowed unless by a gigantor dog. However it won't be used.