What To Put In A Yard

OSoSwift

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that was part of the plan :)

I have some that get favourite toys they take everywhere and one likes to hide hers in her water - because we can't see it there!! :)

Love it! I hide toys for my cats in their enclosure and Diz is all like "No freaking way!!!!! Where did that come from????!!"

What about a few potted plants for scent? Tough things like lemon balm (watch as it spreads like wildfire) my cats go nuts for - I wonder if dogs would enjoy it as a novelty?

Random but this thread reminded me of the way I sometimes chuck a toilet roll in wisdoms toy bucket in the house. She is so delighted when she goes to get a toy and finds a good old toilet roll in there lol.

Have a look at Australian Canine Sports & Training Centre on Facebook or their web site. They have day visitors and lodgers. Their photos might give you some ideas. eg small A frame covered in artificial grass, elevated covered shelf with ramp on one end

Should I go for different surface textures? Grass, sand in the digging pit, large aggregate? Or just grass and a digging pit?

The diggers will dig in the grass even if you offer them sand. Especially if the grass is moist and the sand dry. If you keep the sand moist you'll still get tiger snakes. It's worth burying weld-mesh in the grass so the dogs can't dig up the grass.

I had water in the exercise yard when I had a boarding kennel outside Perth. Some of the dogs loved it, and we never had problems with snakes. I think the ruckus from a boarding kennel tends to keep them away. Put the water close to an area that gets a lot of noise and vibrations from the kennel and my guess is you'll be ok.

We kept throwing out cheap, non-dangerous toys . . . tennis balls, kongs, knotted ropes, anything else we could find. The dogs destroyed them . . . but who cares if it's cheap.

If you go for different surfaces, realize that dogs are going to go for whatever is cool in summer and may look for warmth in winter. Older, arthritic dogs like soft, and may create dog-shaped holes for themselves, but may be just as happy with an old sofa or a dog bed put out in the yard . . . in the shade in summer, sun in winter..

Edited by sandgrubber

Yes that was part of the plan :)

I have some that get favourite toys they take everywhere and one likes to hide hers in her water - because we can't see it there!! :)

Love it! I hide toys for my cats in their enclosure and Diz is all like "No freaking way!!!!! Where did that come from????!!"

What about a few potted plants for scent? Tough things like lemon balm (watch as it spreads like wildfire) my cats go nuts for - I wonder if dogs would enjoy it as a novelty?

I don't know about lemon grass, but my Boofer of a dog loves to walk through and try to hide and stalk (he's seen from a mile away *sigh*) in the really long native grasses.

I wouldn't want dogs going on agility equipment unsupervised and I wouldn't want kennel staff putting my dogs over agility equipment. It would probably put me off a kennel if I saw that sort of stuff in the yards.

There won't be agility equipment for dogs to run over due to risk of injury, however some low bridges and tables would probably be suitable.

I wouldn't be happy if mine were put up on high equipment so I wouldn't do it to others. This isn't a yard dogs will just be left in all day, so the digging whilst it will happen won't be huge holes. I don't run dogs from seperate families together ( and sometime people don't want their own dogs run together) it is so we can get out and play, the dogs can burn off some energy go exploring and stimulate their brains. Especially long termers.

I won't be putting tall bunches of grass etc as yes it would be a snake haven, I need things I can see under.

The theory of snakes not going near lots of activity and noise is great - in theory. I have had quite a few occasion over the years that have shown that that isn't so. This is why we mow everything short all year round and have a strip of bare scalps on the outside perimeter of the kennels plus snake mesh etc. we have a large expanse around the outside of the kennels that is always mowed as well.

I do use clam shells which could possibly attract snakes but they are alway emptied out and I never leave water sitting around in them. It is a little different to the ecosystem created around a permanent structure.

I tend to buy good strong toys and have some lighter more easily damaged for the softer dogs. I find the ones that really need them are the strong, young whirlwind type dogs. I have a couple that are my super strong toy testers.

Anything I build in there will be with the safety of my dogs in mind. All of the dogs that come in are treated as I would my own, they all claim a little piece of my heart even if some make that more of a challenge. I spend hours researching and creating, so all suggestions will be written down then thoroughly looked at and all potential pitfalls considered. Safety is number one, sanity is high up there :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Random but this thread reminded me of the way I sometimes chuck a toilet roll in wisdoms toy bucket in the house. She is so delighted when she goes to get a toy and finds a good old toilet roll in there lol.

That is very cute :)

I have shredders come in so we make them surprise boxes- a small box with a treat inside a bigger one etc. unless their owner says no :(

We use food dispensing treats, treat toys with peanut butter and whatever that dog likes.

I have shredders come in so we make them surprise boxes- a small box with a treat inside a bigger one etc. unless their owner says no :(

We use food dispensing treats, treat toys with peanut butter and whatever that dog likes.

Horrible Herbert has read this thread.

He would like a booking please when all is ready.

:thumbsup:

ps, He :heart: toilet rolls & cardboard boxes

Horrible Herbert has read this thread.

He would like a booking please when all is ready.

:thumbsup:

ps, He :heart: toilet rolls & cardboard boxes

I shall start stockpiling :)

I wouldn't want dogs going on agility equipment unsupervised and I wouldn't want kennel staff putting my dogs over agility equipment. It would probably put me off a kennel if I saw that sort of stuff in the yards.

I was not suggesting agility equipment as such, just a range of similar items that were low. As OSS puts it bridges may be a better term. Tyres lying on the ground instead of set up as a jump. I would not have thought the risk of injury was any greater than the dog jumping off the top f a pile of dirt/pipe/sane etc.

Another thing I have seen give many a dog much fun but you might not be happy with is bales of straw.

Mine go nuts for the rolls out of the glad wrap and foil, they are harder and last a bit longer but all go the same way... lots of pieces

A grass covered 'hill' would take care of the different levels in a 'safe' way. Or as mentioned the pile of sand. I have done that here. The dogs adore playing in, digging in, running up and down and just lazing in the sand and playing 'top of the heap'. It will be something you need to replenish from time to time with a new sand delivery (so make it in a spot that is accessable for a truck to just tip it in) and you will find the sand does spread a bit....

A grass covered 'hill' would take care of the different levels in a 'safe' way. Or as mentioned the pile of sand. I have done that here. The dogs adore playing in, digging in, running up and down and just lazing in the sand and playing 'top of the heap'. It will be something you need to replenish from time to time with a new sand delivery (so make it in a spot that is accessable for a truck to just tip it in) and you will find the sand does spread a bit....

Yes I was thinking hill as it was safer.

We have our own areas to dig for sand and a small front end loader that can do it easily, but yes good point about access.