What To Put In A Yard

OSoSwift

The hot wires certainly work :)

We only have cattle fencing (barbed wire) around our place and when we got the schnauzer we ran two hot wires, one at his eye height and one lower. He's only touched it twice - the first time by accident, the second attempting to go through the fence ... Now, he doesn't go near it :mad

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been great reading this thread, good luck with your design.

I am in the process of building an 'enrichment garden' for my 2 rescue staffies. They are both 2years old and have boundless energy, but alas, one of them can jump my 5 foot gates, so for the most part they are kennelled during the day while I am at work. I'm not really happy with this, and I presume neither are they, as they rip their bedding up every day and anything else in the kennel - including the fake grass!!! :mad

We are lucky to have 20 acres so are going to fence in a new area adjacent to the house yard with 6 foot fences, fingers crossed this does the trick. We are going to put in a tunnel and cover with dirt to form a hill. I will also have a shell pool and maybe a bungee toy, I'm still not decided on this though. The staffy balls look awesome so will get on of those too.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Might I tactfully suggest 6ft 6 inches or higher?

Piroska V ( for girl Vizsla) could scale 11 feet fences. In her younger day, she climbed everything. And could get down afterwards.

:eek:

It has been great reading this thread, good luck with your design.

I am in the process of building an 'enrichment garden' for my 2 rescue staffies. They are both 2years old and have boundless energy, but alas, one of them can jump my 5 foot gates, so for the most part they are kennelled during the day while I am at work. I'm not really happy with this, and I presume neither are they, as they rip their bedding up every day and anything else in the kennel - including the fake grass!!! :mad

We are lucky to have 20 acres so are going to fence in a new area adjacent to the house yard with 6 foot fences, fingers crossed this does the trick. We are going to put in a tunnel and cover with dirt to form a hill. I will also have a shell pool and maybe a bungee toy, I'm still not decided on this though. The staffy balls look awesome so will get on of those too.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Might I tactfully suggest 6ft 6 inches or higher?

Piroska V ( for girl Vizsla) could scale 11 feet fences. In her younger day, she climbed everything. And could get down afterwards.

:eek:

I hear what you are saying,but I have to take into account the height the fencing comes in, 6 foot is standard and the hubby isn't keen. I have suggested it but he doesn't want it to look like a compound! I think the hot tape might be the go and considering I already have everything I need for this, it will be Option No. 1.

God forbid if I need an option no. 2 :banghead:

I hear what you are saying,but I have to take into account the height the fencing comes in, 6 foot is standard and the hubby isn't keen. I have suggested it but he doesn't want it to look like a compound! I think the hot tape might be the go and considering I already have everything I need for this, it will be Option No. 1.

God forbid if I need an option no. 2 :banghead:

Paws crossed you do not. LOL.

Only one of our dogs had no fear of hot wire.

He took it as an affront it was put in his way!

:rofl:

Geez guys, I was all excited and now I'm a bit flat ......

Maybe I will go back to hot tape and the rollers on top, something has to stop him. I don't think he is a dedicated jumper/climber, more opportunistic. So if I can limit his opportunities I'm hoping he'll limit his escapes :D

What we did at the kennels was put up a 6 foot fence and then put metal bars angled inward at 45 degrees from memory and put loser rabbit wire around that. I have certainly had dogs climb the fence and try to jump it (and they woudl ahve cleared the top rail) but have hit this and cannot go any further. I will find a link to the page the photo is on.

Photos are on this page

http://www.countrylaneboarding.com/facilities.asp

Edited by OSoSwift

What we did at the kennels was put up a 6 foot fence and then put metal bars angled inward at 45 degrees from memory and put loser rabbit wire around that. I have certainly had dogs climb the fence and try to jump it (and they woudl ahve cleared the top rail) but have hit this and cannot go any further. I will find a link to the page the photo is on.

Photos are on this page

Thanks for the link, your kennels look fabulous.

I was chatting to hubby last night regarding the escapologists escapades. I think at the moment we had thought to go with the rollers, but now, I'm liking what I see on your web page.

Thanks for the idea, will show OH and see. Fencer is coming Monday so will have to make a decision soon.

Photos are on this page

Thanks for the link, your kennels look fabulous.

I was chatting to hubby last night regarding the escapologists escapades. I think at the moment we had thought to go with the rollers, but now, I'm liking what I see on your web page.

Thanks for the idea, will show OH and see. Fencer is coming Monday so will have to make a decision soon.

NO worries.

They are tried and tested, I have seen dogs get to the top and not go over :)

I hear a kind of tink tink noise one day whiel I was cleaning, it was a little Stafford crosse who was sproinging up in the corner and his head was hitting the angled in bit above the top rail and his tag was clinking on his collar. He gave it a fair work out. He had escaped from the other kennels in town before and his owners yard many times. I figured if he was being kept in it was working very well. I was considering covering the top compeltely like the runs but decided to go this option instead.

That little staffy cross sounds just like my staffy x - the one I am trying to keep in.

Hubby is hard to convince tho. He wants to go with the rollers. So we'll just have to wait and see if he can get over them. He doesn't jump, he climbs.

If all else fails tho, I will be pushing your solution, I think it's great :thumbsup:

Okey dokey, finally have got hubby to compromise on fencing :) He has agreed to 7 foot timber posts, graduated fencing wire (same as what we have) and wire over the top, yay. So, my question is, I have managed to find heavy duty brackets that are 600mm for the wire on the top, but they have a 90 degrees bend. Will this be ok, or does the wire have to be on a 30 - 45 degree bend?

If they have a 90 degree bend they would mean that the mesh around the top would be at a right angle to the fence??

If so I would envisage that your dog could potentially jump ontop of that and out and over, the idea of the 30 to 45 degree angle off the fence is they cannot climb it by going up the fence and they cannot jump and land on it and go out that way.

Thanks for that.

My fencer has been and can bend the posts for me at 30-40 degrees, yippee. Now just waiting for the quote. Fence will be about 6.5feet high in total.

Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

Thanks for that.

My fencer has been and can bend the posts for me at 30-40 degrees, yippee. Now just waiting for the quote. Fence will be about 6.5feet high in total.

Please share photos when you have it happening :)

Thanks for that.

Please share photos when you have it happening :)

oh!! oh!! Yippee for more photos.

:thumbsup:

Well we had a phone call from the fencer last night, we have a problem with bending the posts. Never mind Hubby came up with some more options. Waiting to hear from the fencer today to see what we can do.

On the up side though, we got the 'tunnel' on Saturday and have got it into place and covered with dirt. Now just for some landscaping to make it look nice. Puppies are in for a treat.

I will definitely post some photos when it is finished, I think it's going to take a few weeks in total though :(

Well we had a phone call from the fencer last night, we have a problem with bending the posts. Never mind Hubby came up with some more options. Waiting to hear from the fencer today to see what we can do.

On the up side though, we got the 'tunnel' on Saturday and have got it into place and covered with dirt. Now just for some landscaping to make it look nice. Puppies are in for a treat.

I will definitely post some photos when it is finished, I think it's going to take a few weeks in total though :(

Think of it this way..... the end product will be such fun for the puppies & you

:)

Well worth the wait though, do it once and do it properly :)

Can't wait to see photos :)