Herding Classes ?

Hi folks,

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. So was wondering if anyone would know if there are herding classes or alike for beginners in the Hunter Valley NSW or surrounding area. I have never done any herding but my BC girl Stella saw her first herd of cows at the w.end & was more than a little interested. Seems we may have found her calling.

So I thought if i could find somewhere where we could both learn would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Closest to here would be either Sydney (a few different options) or I know of some Medowie people who have been travelling out to Scone but don't know the details.

We are in the same predicament, need access to sheep to further the dogs training and assess their abilities for breeding potential, but unfortunately its mainly cattle country or hobby farmers around here and nobody for training/instructing. We have resigned to the fact we will just have to look for property to buy and run our own sheep.

Yeah, it's hard around here for dog sports. Sydney or bust by the looks. I'd want classes or lessons having had no experience in herding at all. Stella would only be working on instinct atm having only ever seen a herd of stock once besides out of the car window :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

We are that far in a southerly direction and have been looking at forming a group of people interested in a particular type of training and then approaching trainers to find someone willing to do visiting workshops. If you can find someone up your way who's willing to help with a suitable round yard set up and enough sheep to rotate through the yard so they can get a break you might be able to organise a weekend workshop.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you could combine activities to make the travel worthwhile.

There are a few people who travel to Sydney every fortnight or month and do an activity in the morning, have lunch and a break & then another activity in the afternoon.

I know a few people who do agility in the morning & herding in the afternoon and a few more who do agility in the morning & retrieving in the afternoon.

There are plenty of options for each activity :)

• 1 month later...

I am in canberra and I try to get up to Sydney every few months for agility and retrieving training. It's worth the drive. Luckily for me it's an easy drive.

I think there are agility classes and sheepdog lessons that are pretty close to each other but I'd pm Vickie for details of you're interested :)

Edited by aussielover