Old Mrs Wobble Dog

Kirislin

thankyou everyone for your lovely comments. I've never had such an old dog before so this is new territory for me. I'm trying not to worry so much now and just take it as it comes but I do love it when she surprises me and lets me know 'not today Mummy'.

Usually when I bring her home I lift her carefully out of the car and she totters to the gate to be let into the yard, but the other day same old routine, I lifted her out and made sure she had her balance on the ground before letting her go, and to my surprise she took off down the drive way, she looked like she was jumping invisible hurdles. I was calling her but she's deaf as a post and I felt a twinge of panic wondering just how far she was going to run. She ran about 100 mts, stopped for a piddle and then did the same thing coming back frolicking like a lamb, jumping over her invisible hurdles and went and stood at the gate, while my heart was thumping. :laugh:

Aaaaw that's gorgeous Kirislin! My old boy was 16 when I gave him his wings after doing everything possible for his arthritis. I too had never had a dog that old and seeing I'd had him since he was 6 weeks old it was a huge chunk of my life. He was a dottery, warty old soul but would still have that burst of days of old occasionally which made my heart sing, still that twinkle in the eye. As he was very DA in his prime he would still look up at the fluffy across the road through cloudy eyes and I could see he was thinking "one of these days Alice...straight to the moon" lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww she is gorgeous! It's Nelsson's 15th birthday today, so I took him to the beach for a frolic :D Hope he is as frisky as Penny at 15 and 3 months!

Happy Birthday Nelson!!!!

I love the Oldies.

I am nuturing Tibor who dog-willing will be 15 in October.

:birthday:

Oh bless her white socks :) she is one of my favourite Dol dogs... I can see why that is your favourite photo , it's one of mine too :) also the one of Kibah eating watermelon :)

Awwww thankyou. I'm so happy you remember my dear Kibah. Yes she did love her 'wartymelon' and 'nanas'

I'm glad Penny's a favourite too. :D

Here's the 2 of them as pups. As they grew up there was tension between them, but this is when Penny thought baby Kibie was the ants pants.

12783316715_93d3f2defd_z.jpg5F6A1800dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

this was taken on her 12th birthday.

5723508419_31e01205b5_z.jpgPenny at 12 by kirislin, on Flickr

and these just a couple of months before she turned 12. I sent them to her breeder and he was thrilled to see her in such good condition.

5326334166_07312416e9_z.jpgPenny whippet by kirislin, on Flickr

5325727479_40dfa0db7d_z.jpgPenny whippet by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

She looks so pretty... and certainly doesn't look her age at all...

My old girl will be 15 in a couple of weeks - still has prety good eyesight (except in the dark), can hear just fine, but can be selective at times... she has some arthritis, but it actually hasn't been bothering her too much this winter - which might be because she has a nice new warm beddy, and I leave the heater on in her bedroom until I go to bed so her room is warmer than all the rest of the house. Haven't needed any meds this winter, yay! She's a bit slower getting up the back stairs nowadays, but can still bolt down them and up to the back of the yard to tell off the neighbour's dog when he has one of his manic moments (he's a bit "speshul" and decides to attack a bush in their back yard near our fence every now and then).

Pickles plays "bodyguard" for Zeddy nowadays - and stops Harper the horse puppy from knocking her over or being rough... it's nice to see Pickles looking after "granny" Zeddy like that - they do seem to have a special bond.

T.

When I said it's a day by day thing with Penny I didn't realise how close to the mark I'd be. She's taken a sudden dive and I took her back to Brett the vet this afternoon and he agreed with me that it's her time. He's given her a sedative/painkiller something or other to tide her over till he comes after he closes his clinic tonight. I'll just give her lots of cuddles till then.

thankyou all for understanding.

Pennys parting was calm and peaceful. I haven't buried her yet. I've curled her up so she truly looks like she's just sleeping.

It might seem strange but I'm still going to the whippet fun day today, I have to/want to take photos for everyone and keep myself busy. When I come home I will bury my sweet girl. Thankyou Penny, Maysleith Musicale, my fierce competetive racing girl, Little Savage, for 15 wonderful years.

5332225099_c7f3a769a0_z.jpgIMG_6326dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

5326302098_f0722d65c6_z.jpgPenny running sequence by kirislin, on Flickr

5393995477_c13dd329d8_z.jpgThe two sticky noses. by kirislin, on Flickr

4617562469_b0537aab32_z.jpgPennys 11th birthday photo by kirislin, on Flickr

4456846400_5c831733a8_z.jpgIMG_3538 by kirislin, on Flickr

4004251548_b259a18190_z.jpgIMG_0291t by kirislin, on Flickr

When I said it's a day by day thing with Penny I didn't realise how close to the mark I'd be. She's taken a sudden dive and I took her back to Brett the vet this afternoon and he agreed with me that it's her time. He's given her a sedative/painkiller something or other to tide her over till he comes after he closes his clinic tonight. I'll just give her lots of cuddles till then.

OMG, Kirislin. What a shock to read this. Deepest sympathies to you. Your Penny was a delight with so much love shared and given.

I recall when you first posted that "peeping around the corner photo" - so beautiful.

You give people so much pleasure with your exquisite photography, and so many will be grateful for your gift when they see photos of their own from the fun days you attend.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling