Wanting To Adopt A Lab - Where Do I Post?

Seren

Could someone guide me please. I am wanting to look into adopting a Lab or Lab cross about 13 months old to be a new mate for my Lab/Golden Retriever Holly. We recently lost her mate and I have thought about adopting a new companion for her.

I have put my name down on as many Lab Rescue sites as I can find but wondered if anyone knows of a Lab needing a good home?

Thanks,

Seren ..

Stirring here ....:p :hug:

You need to realise that when you ask something like this , some of then have an excuse to peruse the dog pages , and ooh & ahhh over the rescue crew. ;)

of course i've been looking .. (for males - they will fit in easier, probably)

and so far have found lab x's .. and ......

HERE

HERE *sigh*......

HERE

Thanks so much aliwake and Tapua,

I have been busy checking out your helpful site, aliwake, and putting out the word that I am after a young female Lab..... But also worried that they may be reluctant to sell to me as I had a bad accident with Holly's mate as you would have read... Thankyou so much for your thoughts - yes, I cry a lot still about little Lace and I love her still with all my heart!! She will never be replaced that is for sure and I will never ever 'get over' what happened to her; but my heart would soon add another little fur bundle into it and love her for her own sake.

I had looked at the Goldens in that site but not the Labs so your post has helped me very much thanks.

Yes, Tapua, I have combed the Lab Rescue sites but all the Labs listed are getting on in years and I worry that Holly would annoy the life out of them wanting to play. She is still very active and playful and needs lots of games and walks at the moment to compensate. She has already put on weight not having Lace to run and play with. But I will keep looking...

Lol, persephone.... you have made me smile just now! And that is good.

I eagerly checked out your 'HERES' with interest - you found some I haven't. Just a bit worried about a male, my husband doesn't think a male would fit in. Do you think that a male would be okay? I know that Holly would be good - she just loves any dog at all.

Then the last HERE - the female - I got excited about til I read needs 6 ft fence...

But on the up side, It has made me feel more positive and I will go look into some other breed rescues for mixes and see if there are any Lab crosses there. One thing I have noted - there are so many sad stories out there!

I am interested in your idea that a male would be a better choice too. That interests me as I had not considered a boy.

If you would also consider a goldie Golden retriever Rescue are a very active rescue group and have groups in most states I think

Yes, thanks kelpiecuddles. I have looked into the Goldens but feel a bit shaky about getting another Golden. I went to look at some pups last weekend and ended up crying. Not sure if I am strong enough

I have been busy checking out your helpful site, aliwake, and putting out the word that I am after a young female Lab..... But also worried that they may be reluctant to sell to me as I had a bad accident with Holly's mate as you would have read... But I will keep looking...

You were NOT responsible for the accident.

Any decent breeder should listen to your story with compassion and understand that you & your family may be that wonderful chance for their dog to have a happy furever home.

Sad/bad things happen. That is life. For sure you coped the really raw end of the deal. You are not a bad person.

repeat this: I am a good person and serve the Universe to send me another dog to love.

Do this and smile as you think of all the good times Holly will have again soon.

:love:

Rescue A Labrador do interstate adoptions, here are links to their website and facebook page

Labrador Rescue website

Labrador Rescue Facebook page

Labradog Rescue is a Sydney based Lab rescue org and they have the most gorgeous youngster, a 15month old black boy named Axel who has recently come into care as well as some other adorable Labs looking for homes. Not sure if Amanda Scott, who runs this rescue does interstate adoptions, but worthwhile making contact with her through their facebook page, link below or through their website where her mobile no. is listed for contact. Their website isn't kept uptodate, but their Facebook page is updated very regularly so you can see pics of all the gorgeous Labs available for adoption, including Axel, just scroll down their page.

Labradog Facebook page

Labradog Website Contact details

Just in regard to your concern re a male lab, the Lab boys rule in my household :) as I have found the males to be extremely affectionate, very closely bonding and worship the ground you walk on. A boy as a mate for Holly would be the ideal pairing.

Good luck in finding a Lab to give a forever home to and help Holly and your family with your recent loss :cry::hug:

I have been busy checking out your helpful site, aliwake, and putting out the word that I am after a young female Lab..... But also worried that they may be reluctant to sell to me as I had a bad accident with Holly's mate as you would have read... But I will keep looking...

You were NOT responsible for the accident.

Any decent breeder should listen to your story with compassion and understand that you & your family may be that wonderful chance for their dog to have a happy furever home.

Sad/bad things happen. That is life. For sure you coped the really raw end of the deal. You are not a bad person.

repeat this: I am a good person and serve the Universe to send me another dog to love.

Do this and smile as you think of all the good times Holly will have again soon.

:love:

Thanks for the thumbs up, VizslaMomma,

You gals do not know how much you have all helped me through this!

It has helped me to have faith in myself again.

Not a Labrador person, but I just wanted to endorse the thinking about getting a male, rather than another female. Or if you're set on getting a female, maybe get one a bit younger than Holly, if possible, just to minimise possible conflicts.

And I'd missed the sad ending of your Lacey's story - I just wanted to add my condolences. Having lost a 6 year old BC boy to an accidental poisoning - I accidentally shut him in the garage, where there were no known poisons, but he must have eaten some dahlia tubers that were in there. My poor vet couldn't save him. I totally get the shock and guilt - but like you, I was really supported by this great community. And you certainly did everything you could for Lacey - including the hardest decision of all, to give her her wings at the right time for her. And we are lucky to have the option of individual cremation now - it is incredibly sad, but comforting at the same time, when they come home.

Good luck with your search - the right dog will be there for you.

They're both young. But their eyes just look so loving :heart:

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/313453

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/310207

Also agree that there is nothing that you did wrong with your other baby.

Sometimes horrible things happen.

ETA: Have no personal experience with two females, all my dogs are male, however i have heard that having two female dogs can, and wont always, cause issues. But don't narrow your search to gender. I was set on getting a female dog the first time round, but just fell in love with her brother- it just felt right. No regrets either!

Edited by denali

Not a Labrador person, but I just wanted to endorse the thinking about getting a male, rather than another female. Or if you're set on getting a female, maybe get one a bit younger than Holly, if possible, just to minimise possible conflicts.

I also support the suggestion that a male companion for Holly may be a better choice. If two females don't get on it can get quite nasty, but I'm not saying this will necessarily happen of course! Where are you located approximately Seren so we could look around for you? (Having two Labs here snoozing on my couch atm I'll take any excuse to look at some more lovely Labs :) ).

Denali, good searching... they're both lovely dogs. And in Qld.

I was searching Pet Rescue, too... & found this adorable young Lab X girl called Nova in NSW (7 months, maybe a bit young).

Then I saw she's not available for interstate adoption!!!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/313846

There's also 2 Qld registered breeders on Dogzonline Labrador page with female adult Labs for pet homes.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/labrador-retriever.asp

Edited by mita

If you would also consider a goldie Golden retriever Rescue are a very active rescue group and have groups in most states I think

Yes, thanks kelpiecuddles. I have looked into the Goldens but feel a bit shaky about getting another Golden. I went to look at some pups last weekend and ended up crying. Not sure if I am strong enough

Or maybe you're just not ready. Don't rush into this. Be sure that the dog you get is not a 'replacement' but one you want for itself.

I also second the idea of getting a male, especially if you want to introduce an adult dog into your home.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Denali, good searching... they're both lovely dogs. And in Qld.

I was searching Pet Rescue, too... & found this adorable young Lab X girl called Nova in NSW (7 months, maybe a bit young).

Then I saw she's not available for interstate adoption!!!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/313846

There's also 2 Qld registered breeders on Dogzonline Labrador page with female adult Labs for pet homes.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/labrador-retriever.asp

She is gorgeous!

SHame about the interstate thing. Oh well, you will find someone perfect :)

The two qld older dogs are also both gorgeous.