Give Me The Scoop On Poop......

Pjrt

I have been meaning to pose this question for a while now.

What are peoples opinions of using private bins to deposit bagged dog waste?

When I walk the dog in the suburbs, and the need arises to pick up with a bag, I will deposit said bagged waste into any bin, be it a council bin or a private regular waste bin that is still curbside, whether already emptied or not.

I have never had anyone pull me up on it, but if I ever did, my first response would be to ask would they rather I didn't scoop the poop and leave it where it is deposited. If they got cranky I think I would ask them to get cranky at the folks who don't pick up at all.

If I saw someone putting bagged dog waste in my curbside bin I would thank them for being responsible dog owners. I can sort of understand how non dog people might get upset at finding doodoo in their bin.

Sometimes I could walk for 1/2 an hour around here and not find a council bin.

So, opinions please?

Edited by GrufLife

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will only put it in a private bin if it's fully wrapped up tight and the bin is waiting for collection. If the bin had already been emptied I wouldn't do it as I don't even leave dog poo in my own home bin to fester for a week, wouldn't do it to someone else

Not a good move!

Dog waste that I put in my own bin has to be double wrapped prior to deposit (Council regulation) and not just put in a thin plastic bag. I would be really annoyed if others deposited their waste in my bin , after all, I have to wash the bins out and disinfect them regularly.

eeewww ..

I certainly would not like to find a plastic bag with dog poo in my bin

could you take another small shoulder bag or similar .. ..and extra ziplock bags or something so you could then wait comfortably until you find a suitable bin?

Never in a private bin. I will put it in the council bins at the oval otherwise I take it home, I don't care how long I have to carry it for. Problem is remembering it when I get home and not locking it in the car overnight :o

I only chuck it in council bins, never private bins on nature strips. I don't mind carrying it if there's no council bin nearby - my dog poops so little it's almost like carrying an empty bag.

Never in a private bin. I will put it in the council bins at the oval otherwise I take it home, I don't care how long I have to carry it for. Problem is remembering it when I get home and not locking it in the car overnight :o

This. Putting poo in other peoples' bins is (in my opinion) really rude. Especially if the bin has just been emptied. In fact, putting it in a freshly emptied bin is beyond rude, it's dickish. Would the OP enjoy smelling some other dog's crap in his/her bin for a whole week?

This. Putting poo in other peoples' bins is (in my opinion) really rude. Especially if the bin has just been emptied. In fact, putting it in a freshly emptied bin is beyond rude, it's dickish. Would the OP enjoy smelling some other dog's crap in his/her bin for a whole week?

Someone did that at my place.

Dropped that parcel in my empty rubbish bin.

I went inside, grabbed a pair of gloves. Retrived the present. Walked up the road to their house.

Knocked on the front door. Handed the present back to the person who answered the door. Simply said you dropped this by accident.

BTW, I live in the Hawkesbury so avoid any bins there.

:rofl:

In my OP I stated that I would actually thank anyone putting bagged dog waste into my bin. So many people don't pick up that i would personally praise any efforts made by anyone to clean up after their dog. I'd rather it in my bin than on my shoes when I go walking after dark!

My dog is raw fed and does tiny hard poops that barely even smell. Wrapped in a tied nappy bag I doubt anyone would even know it was in their bin. In fact that is how I dispose of it at home. Each day I just grab a bag, pick up the one tiny poop, tie it and toss it in the bin.

I don't really get the smelling bad logic... bins smell bad. A week of rotting food matter would probably be just as festy as a single poop, especially if the poo is underneath the decaying food. I do agree having to clean poo out of the bin would be disgusting but if your dog's poo isn't a sloppy mess and has been double bagged I highly doubt that will result in poop smeared all up the sides of the bin.

In saying that though I'd still find it a little intrusive and I'd only put poos in bins awaiting collection, not when they're empty but Didi literally never poops on walks and I live in a busy area so I'm fairly sure I would bump into a council bin before I would a private bin. So many people let their dogs poop (even on the pavement of the shopping strip ewww) around here that I would probably prefer a bagged poop in my bin than under my shoe or in my dog's mouth.

Really pisses me off at our local reserve that people will go to the effort of bagging a poop but then just leave the bag on the ground?? THere's plenty of bins around there so really no excuse and only mildly better than leaving the poo in the first place.

There's no rotting food in my bin. We seperate our rubbish completely and anything organic is either fed to chooks or other animals or composted. Anything that will stink up the bin is put in no more than 24 hours before bin pick up and in summer it's thrown in the freezer until then(prawn heads, etc) I don't like a rank smelling bin sitting next to my driveway

I don't want or understand a smelly bin either! Dog poop and anything smelly or damp is bagged prior to binning. My bin sits right where I get out of my car and It doesn't smell at all. :)

We bag all of our garbage as well but we eat a lot of fruit and veg so lots of scraps (no chickens or garden compost for me :( ) so end of the week is a bit stanky, especially with Didi's many kilos of poop piled on top. So while I wouldn't put poo in someone else's bin unless awaiting collection, don't really mind if someone puts the occasional bagged poop in mine instead of leaving it on the nature strip in front of my house.

In my OP I stated that I would actually thank anyone putting bagged dog waste into my bin. So many people don't pick up that i would personally praise any efforts made by anyone to clean up after their dog. I'd rather it in my bin than on my shoes when I go walking after dark!

My dog is raw fed and does tiny hard poops that barely even smell. Wrapped in a tied nappy bag I doubt anyone would even know it was in their bin. In fact that is how I dispose of it at home. Each day I just grab a bag, pick up the one tiny poop, tie it and toss it in the bin.

I wouldn't care if you put it in my full bin before it was emptied..

I wouldn't be happy to find you putting it in my empty bin, as they get pulled in and washed out. I would have to handle your dogs waste (bagged or not, it turns my stomach to pick up other peoples dogs poo) and get it out of my bin, so I could wash it out..

I always use the public bins at parks and ovals or bring it home to my bin.

I wouldn't put a loaded dog bag in a private bin that was already emptied. That's just rude. The bags aren't completely odour proof. And I wouldn't want people to do that to me.

I might break that rule if the private bin was extremely grotty even when emptied or I knew who owned the bin and I didn't like them (they don't pick up after their own dog or they play loud music all night or they have lots of parties with too many cars blocking the street etc).

Have a council green organics bin here, so all the poop goes in there along with cat litter [paper based], meat, veggies etc.

On the odd chance I have had to pick up when out and about, I use council bins, as they're usually easy to find [near shops, parks or the like].

Doesn't bother me if people use the bin when it's out on the road before pickup [quite often people have for general rubbish] - rather that than it left on the roadside.