Is You Dog A Hero?

Seren

I so wish I had a hero dog...your dogs sound amazing. Once I told a lady that Jake was a rescue. It was right after I got him and I was still a bit raw from losing Hank.

"What does he rescue?" she asked looking curiously at my lump of a dog.

"Well me from being a pathetic old woman who bursts into tears every two minutes." It's kind of heroic.

that's a VERY heroic thing :) The "accidental hero" type stuff. :hug:

Don has given me a new perspective, that's for sure!!

Whilst not super heroic my dogs have alerted me to issues a number of times over the years. Like when a pony was caught in a fence. They actually came up to the house, found what room I was in and started barking, running off and coming back. It was quite a clear indication that I needed to come out. Other instances have been when my front lawn was on fire and when one of the dogs was very sick.

Another snake story

I was four, and out with my Po and his sheep dog Snippy. I wandered out of Pops' sight, but not Snippy's. As I walked, he suddenly raced in front of me, and would not let me move forward, blocking my every attempt. I yelled at Snippy to move, and that alerted my Grandfather, who noticed straight away the problem- a large snake just in front of me! Snippy was always my dog.... though I shared him with Pop!

Di

Wow there are some really amazing stories - I think we underestimate our doggie friends a lot of the time!

Mine isn't quite as impressive :o - but mum was thankful for the help!

When I was young we had a ridgeback staffy cross ... beautiful girl, perfect kids dog. One day mum was down in the back paddock and got bailed up by a huge male kangaroo. She called for Cedar who was all the way back up at the house and she came barreling down to chase him off. I think that was one of the only times I can think of when she actually came when she was called :rofl:

Edited by Lasareina

Love reading through all these stories! Some truly amazing dogs here :) I always feel safer when my dogs are around.

My heroic dog was Lassie...no, she wasn't a collie, which is what I originally wanted :laugh: I was a stubborn 8 year old who didn't get a collie, but instead, an amstaff mix, but was calling her Lassie - much to my parents horror :laugh:

Anyway, when she was about 4 I was puppy-sitting a little cavalier mix for 3 weeks. She was a small little thing, just about 13 weeks old. We took the 3 dogs to the beach (Cherry, Lassie, and the little pup), as it was an overcast day and there was noone there, I let them off the leash. I was playing with them by the waters edge, when all of a sudden a big powerful crossbreed came running up behind me and latched onto the pup. It was shaking her like a toy, I honestly thought he was going to kill her. Dad came running down to try and stop it, then all of a sudden Lassie came barrelling through, and beat up the bigger dog, giving pup a chance to run away. Poor thing was screaming and shaking, I carried her the whole way home. I was so proud of my Lassie though! She was an amazing dog :)

12095911245_44f05a881e.jpgIMGP0678 by All4aBiscuit, on Flickr

I was out riding bush once and had a nasty tumble off my horse. I must have knocked myself out coz when I woke up spud was licking my face and pawing me across the nose. I was too disorientated to find my phone and couldn’t get up.

Spud kept racing to me, giving me a lick then running a little way and barking at me. After a while he raced up whinged in my face then took off.... around 45 minutes later he came racing back down the hill at a million miles an hour with my husband following behind on the quad. He said as soon as spud came home without me he knew there was an issue, he tried to put spud on the quad with him but he refused and just started racing back towards me!

My goodness I love my little white dog :)

Edited by miss2

I so wish I had a hero dog...your dogs sound amazing. Once I told a lady that Jake was a rescue. It was right after I got him and I was still a bit raw from losing Hank.

"What does he rescue?" she asked looking curiously at my lump of a dog.

"Well me from being a pathetic old woman who bursts into tears every two minutes." It's kind of heroic.

What a little Hero!! Yes, he is. I think now my Holly is a little Hero too - I cry every morning and now she sees it as her 'job' to come early to me and lick my tears. She used to always let Lace come to me first and go to hubby's side of the bed first. Now she comes directly to me and says "Cheer up"... then goes to hubby secondly.

I think I've been lucky, but a couple of times, Brandi has gotten between me and a person shouting at me while out walking (and minding my own business). Boo is a complete softy, but for some reason a big-ish red brindle muzzled greyhound barking, lunging (up and not forwards) and snarling has the effect of making people back away and leave me alone. I always feels safe with my hounds and DH feels safe leaving me with them when he goes away for work.

My two girls pulled me through a bout of severe clinical depression as well. Dark times but they were always there for me.

Um, my dogs have heroically saved the cats lives by selflessly eating the cat food, thus removing any chance the cats may choke on their dinner? :o

:rofl: ... maybe my two are trying to be heroic and promote feminism when they destroy yet another one of my bras? maybe a stretch :laugh:

this is true .. maybe i'm not giving them enough credit :laugh: or maybe they are just naughty little buggers :mad lol

Would you have them any other way?

:heart:

all I can say is it's lucky they are cute :laugh:

Maybe as they mature they will become a little more heroic ... Hunter sounded very impressive when he actually barked at the front door the other day. Of course, he did have to run back and sit on my lap for comfort while he did it... and it was my sister, not a home invader... but there's potential there! :laugh: