At What Age Do We Stop Getting New Dogs?

Aleksandra 157

My mothers previous dog died when she was turning 80, so she announced that there were to be no more dogs for her as she would die before the new dog. A couple of months later she decided the house was to quiet and she missed having a little companion to take on walks and share the couch with.

We went to the AWL in Adelaide and found the delightful Jackie Chan, a little terrier with an outgoing and bubbly demeanor. After assuring the AWL staff that my sister and I would step up to help care for Jackie if the need ever arose we departed with a much happier mother and a delightful little companion.

Five years later Jackie and mum are a great team enjoying daily walks and many hours of company for each other.

Thank dogness for the companionship that dogs provide our elderly population, with a little support and help from others there is no reason why we can't all enjoy dogs for all of our dayssmile.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbi, your mother is lucky she has family members who will love her little dog and give it a good home. Unfortunately I don't have that option so I will be living dogless for the first time in my life, (providing I outlive both my dogs).

One of my Cavaliers is not well, he has congestive heart failure, though he is on appropriate medication. I love this little boy to bits and I know I he doesn't have a long life expectancy so . not only will I miss him beyond description but I can't believe I'll be living with just one dog, which is how it will be when my beloved boy goes. My little girl Cav is 9yo and that is getting on for the breed as well.