At What Age Do We Stop Getting New Dogs?

Aleksandra 157

I've often wondered when are you too old to get another dog; I know it would depend on your health,circumstances etc, I was taken back when a friend,who used to have poodles said she felt she was too old to get a dog.She would be early 60s ,I'm a couple of years older....it got me thinking.I can't imagine thinking "this will be my last dog"...but is this selfish. :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered when are you too old to get another dog; I know it would depend on your health,circumstances etc, I was taken back when a friend,who used to have poodles said she felt she was too old to get a dog.She would be early 60s ,I'm a couple of years older....it got me thinking.I can't imagine thinking "this will be my last dog"...but is this selfish. :)

I thought this through very recently, before I got my 'last' dog. I'm late fifties and figure that I'll be late sixties or early seventies when he's ready to go to the Big Kennel :o By then, as much as I love dogs and always had them in my life, I doubt I'll get another at that age. Same for my horse, she's probably the last one I'll ever own ...

This is my big question right now. I'm 65 and thinking of taking on a new pup. Best laid plans went astray when the dog I thought would see my dog days out with passed away far too soon.

I'm concerned that I'll not be able to do the right thing by the puppy and while she/he will not be neglected my limitations may mean the best is not good enough. On the law of averages I would be in my late 70's if the dog lasts as long as it should - and that is scary on so many levels.

I've had many discussions about this with many people (granted they are ones who think I should have another one so may be biased)but without exception they tell me I'm being silly, of course I'll do the right thing as I have for the last 40+ years.

It is a huge responsibility though.

There is a lovely older lady in her 80s who comes into my work with the most well behaved mini poodle I've ever seen! It's sticks to her walking frame, completely off leash and does absolutely anything she asks of it. It's very well groomed and feel and looks very fit and healthy.

I think as long as you can see to the dogs needs and make sure you have a plan for the dog incase the worst happens to you then keep having dogs :) It's better for your mental health too!

Benny ended up with us as a nine year old (so senior) when his owner died. Her daughter couldn't manage him (cats and Benny is really not cat safe) and he went to the pound. I never want to see that fear again.

The reasons I say this are twofold. First, it is better for the dog to die first rather than have an elderly dog need a new home later in life without appropriate plans.

Second, we all, regardless of age, should make provision for our pets in our wills which are appropriate and not relying on family or friends who are not necessarily familiar with our specific dogs or breeds. Because you never know.

For me it'll be until I fall off my perch but my breed suits my energy levels. I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis throughout my whole body, much worse in my knees and feet and there are some days I struggle to walk very far at all. Greyhounds are known to be the 45mph couch potato so a short sniff around the park or a zoomie in the yard can be sufficient for my two on my bad days. I'm 50 and my greys are 6 so I know I will have more but as my body falls apart more and more I'll definitely get older greyhounds, happy to sit in the sun with me or shuffle around the yard in my slippers lol. Adopting my greys from a reputable rescue also gives me peace of mind as if something should happen to me they will be taken back by the rescue group and not end up at the pound like sadly happens with some older peoples pets where family can't or won't take them. I don't have any family so it's good to know I can always have a grey sitting on the couch :)

When my elderly mother in law had to go into care years ago, she had to give up her toy poodle. This dog had been with her for many years and was a devoted companion. She went downhill from the day she gave the dog up (luckily to a family member who had originally bred the dog) :mad The poodle was also stressed, even though she was well looked after and knew the family ...

I should have added that I too have always had provisions for if I could not look after my dogs.20 yrs ago I got breast cancer and not dreaming I'd live this long,I made arrangements for Katie to go to.my friend in the country.I'm now married again,husband is 70 going on 50 ...but anything can happen...Another couple about our age have recently gone into a retirement village,while very luxurious etc. They are moving out ,they miss having a dog so much... :)

I have 2 clients in their nineties with small fluffy dogs. They care for them as well or better than many of my younger clients. One lady has a carer take her shopping on Wed, so every 6 weeks they drop the dog at the salon, go shopping, then pick up the dog. a couple of times I have picked up or dropped off the dog myself as she lives quite nearby. The other is 93 and still drives the dog to the salon every 3 weeks herself!

I think as long as you can come up with a plan for the dog if you pass or can no longer properly care for it, and choose an appropriate size & temperament, but then they are both considerations that every dog owner should make, regardless of age.

I think it is very personal.

I'm 60 and simply love my BCs but they're 11 and 9yrs.

I'll have a dog as long as I can but I don't think I'll ever have a pup again; I simply couldn't be bothered. I know my next dog won't be a border collie and I tell myself I'd like a non shedding dog after 40/50 yrs of hair on my clothes.

I'm liking the idea of tibbies but if a larger, older dog came along of another breed at the right time then who knows.

This is a topic which is close to my heart. Not saying how old I am but I am up there. I keep thinking will there be another dog? I think about my mother who died in her nineties and who thought she was too old for another dog when her last one died many years before she did. When she lost this dog she stopped walking and aged so quickly. I don't want to make that mistake. I want quality of life right to the end and that means having a dog.

Some retirement villages are now understanding the importance of a dog in the life of the elderly and are now allowing clients to keep their dogs.

I am also expecting to live into my nineties which means that I do have time for another dog. I would not get a pup though. I don't have the energy. But there is room in my heart for another dog who perhaps has lost its elderly owner. However I will need to check with my family first to make sure any new dog is one that they would feel comfortable taking on if I was no longer able to.

There have been threads on DOL about making provisions for your dogs in your will. It is not simple. I just trust that I have brought up my children to do the right thing by me and any dog I leave behind.

I should add that a large portion of my client base are also into their 70s and 80s, and most cope fine. Many of them express to me that they are not likely to have another dog.

I have experienced a couple of cases of neglect at the hands of elderly clients who have become less able to care for their dogs. I have done my best to contact a family member and raise my concerns. It usually improves things for everyone.

I think about this a lot as we get a lot of dogs surrendered at work due to the elderly owners health.

I guess to me, we can't see into the future and any one of us could be gone tomorrow, so I think as long as you are capable of caring for the dog when you get it, that's ok.

I believe as long as you have a 'backup', and have taken into consideration your own experience, energy levels and limitations, there's no right or wrong age. Anyone at any time can fall ill or become injured (or die) at any age, so really everyone should think about what contingency plan they have in place. There are plenty of 'older' pets looking for homes, that only need a few more years of love and attention. We have a lovely older lady who adopts every year or so a truly ancient dog, just to give him/her a home. She lost her Foxy a few weeks ago to bladder cancer, and came and adopted a 14yr Jack Russell owner surrender, who had a mass off her hip removed just the other day. This lovely couple doesn't mind how long the dog has left, she just wants someone to spoil and for companionship, and sees this as her way of giving back to the dog community (after many years of "full" dog ownership)

Edited by carolineh1

I have had 3 dogs bequeathed to me over the years! One was a very elderly Poodle who I kept for the rest of his days, which was just over 12 months. His owner was elderly and had arranged to leave him with me, but then became the victim of a murder suicide :(

2 others I was not in a position to keep, and rehomed with due consideration. Both live/lived happy lives and I kept in touch. One is actually still alive :)

I am humbled that clients thought that much of me :flower: