Male Great Dane Pup Squatting To Pee *bewildered*

Merle_Miss

Hello,

I have never owned a male great dane before, only girls. My boy is almost 9 months old (intact) and he never lifts his leg to do his business. This wouldn't be such a problem if he didn't have such a mighty stream that always hits his front legs and on occasion (in the mornings) even his chin. :eek:

I've tried having him hang out with boy dogs and taken him to dog parks where everything upright is marked but he just doesn't want to.

When did your Great Dane male start lifting his leg? and at this age is it likely he never will?

:confused:

My boy didn't start cocking his leg until over 12 months, but even now at 15 months he only cocks his leg to mark, he will still squat to have a normal wee.

My last boy did the same thing his entire life. Cock leg to mark, but squat to do a normal wee.

My boy got taught at the age of 6 to cock his leg by our then recently adopted girl. Obviously not living up to his breed name as a 'cocker' spaniel :p

He was entire till about 10 months as well so obviously wasn't doing it before then

They both now cock to mark and squat to do a normal wee as well

My GSD has never cocked his leg (well maybe once by accident...) he is almost 12.

And yes, he pees on his front legs as well sometimes!

Yep. My Standard Schnauzer is 12 months and he squats :) I wash his paws every evening before he comes inside :thumbsup:

haha ok good to know. Thanks for the reassuring posts. Just the poor love is as shocked and appalled as I am when his morning wees shoot out past his schnoz and on occasion hits his chin when the supply starts to deplete, he looks at me like 'well that was yuck'. :laugh:

Here he is at almost 8 months and into full swing of sook phase. Husband was snoozing solo on the couch and pup worked his way in for a hug and then fell asleep himself. It's a larger pic but I know DH would have my hide if I didn't crop him in this haha.

2cute.png

Edited by Merle_Miss

Norty brown dawg is 3 and he still squats in the back yard - he sometimes lifts his leg on the front tree when he evacuates before getting in the car. do

Doesn't matter how he pees: he still manages to wet over his paws. The worst is when he's got a really full bladder & he's pooping: the stream shoots forward & he manages to shower himself!!

Norty brown dawg is 3 and he still squats in the back yard - he sometimes lifts his leg on the front tree when he evacuates before getting in the car. do

Doesn't matter how he pees: he still manages to wet over his paws. The worst is when he's got a really full bladder & he's pooping: the stream shoots forward & he manages to shower himself!!

My boy once cocked his leg, peed and pooped all at the same time. Pee got everywhere but it was a sight to behold rofl1.gif

My 10yo Cavalier boy squats to pee at home and pees on his front white leg but when we're out walking he puts his big boy pants on and hikes his leg so high against trees that he almost falls over. He stands so close to the tree that I'm surprised he doesn't get splinters in his doodle.

My boy once cocked his leg, peed and pooped all at the same time. Pee got everywhere but it was a sight to behold rofl1.gif

OMD that's a cracker! laugh.gif Norty Brown Dawg has a weak sphincter muscle after desexing and now has a wee/poo dilemma if he's got a full bladder and full bowel. He'd be fine if he emptied his bladder first and then pooped, but no he takes the poop route first and pees all over himself embarrass.gif

Mosley is six and used to always squat to pee when he was younger. He lifts his leg these days, but probably only 50% of the time :laugh: I don't think he's ever peed on himself though, I just probably haven't noticed :o :laugh:

He's a gorgeous looking boy :)

My 10yo Cavalier boy squats to pee at home and pees on his front white leg but when we're out walking he puts his big boy pants on and hikes his leg so high against trees that he almost falls over. He stands so close to the tree that I'm surprised he doesn't get splinters in his doodle.

:laugh: