Vip Nature's Goodness Grain Free Wild Game With Sweet Potato...

westiemum

Hi All,

Putting this here for a wider audience...

Thursday night I opened a new bag of VIP Nature's Goodness Grain Free Wild Game with Sweet Potato - its a great product which my guys have done well on on the very rare occasions I use dry food. I noticed it looked very dark but didn't think anything of it.

However about 9.45 pm Mac threw up - all over my bed!! Then Sarah threw up and Mac threw up again, then Sarah again. - clearly taking it in turns. Andy, who had the same meal - wet dry and veg - seemed unaffected.

Anyway about 11 pm I piled them all into the car and headed to the Emergency vet. Thank goodness my fav vet was on. While we were waiting, I was holding Mac and he poo'd in the waiting room. It just came out of his bottom anf feel to the floor. He then started really shivering badly and then he threw up again all over the waiting room floor - I had no idea so much stuff could come out of a little dog!!. Anyway he improved almost instantly - and by the time we finally saw the vet he was looking better, had stopped shivering and was pottering around the consult room. Sarah seemed quiet but OK.

Anyway Mac's hydration and temp were normal and so was Sarah's. The vet felt it probably was the dry food but of course wouldn't stake her life on it - could have been the veg but felt it was more likely the dry food.

So we went home, Mac was sick twice more at 3.15 am and 6 am, I got about 3 hours sleep and then I took them all down to their Grandma's for the day on Friday morning. She followed vet instructions and gave them a small meal of chicken and rice but they both threw it up again so she just concentrated on making sure they were hydrated and I tried again with a small meal of chicken and rice later on Friday night which at last stayed down. They've all had nothing but chicken and rice today and its all stayed down.

I've left a message for VIP to call me - and I don't want to panic people as I think its seriously good food and bad things can happen to good food. And if there is a problem it might be further up the distribution chain - eg transport or the supermarket. But anyway, it probably pays for anyone in Adelaide to be careful if you've bought this dry food in the last week - and particularly if you've bought a 3 kg bag it at Woolies at the Arkaba and it looks very dark..

Two miserable dogs, a relatively sleepless night and $300 dollars at the vet later...I knew there was a reason I was a raw feeder frown.gif

Edited by westiemum

If you've still got it hold onto the remaining product and packaging, I would expect they would want to test it

Glad they are on the mend, hopefully you can catch up on sleep!

Contact them, keep the food as I am sure they will want to test it and get them new food.

Hope they are better very soon, poor things

Edited by OSoSwift

thank you all - yes they are all much better but its been a rough couple of days - i'll take it into work with me on Monday as thats when i expect I'll hear from them.

If you could share with us the use by date & the batch number...that would be good :confused:

Yep will do Sheena - I'm moving house (again!) today - long story - so realistically I'll get to post it tomorrow. I put the opened bag in a a plastic bag ready for tomorrow and now I can't find it - temporarily! But I will! smile.gif

Geez... how awful for you & your darling westies :( I hope everyone has settled down again.

Certainly sounds very strange.

I would be definitely sending the food back to VIP to get it checked out. I'm sure they wouldn't want this

happening too often. Especially hard on the older guys like gorgeous Mack as well.

Hi Everyone - the bag is a 3 kg bag of the Wild game with Sweet Potato, with a best before date of 07/01/2016 and the number C 22157. Suggest people check their bags. I'm waiting to hear from VIP and will be disappointed if I don't. We'll see...

OK - just had a very good discussion with VIP - I must say I was impressed with their open and straight forward approach to this - they've taken all the details and their Compliance Manager will investigate and get back to me. Will let you know how I get on.

In the meantime, Mac and Sarah have fully recovered and he kept his Cispride/Zantac compounded medication down last night and they both kept their dinner down last night (raw only - didn't feed dry food) and his chicken wing this morning - so all good. Very much hoping this was an odd 'off' bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone - the bag is a 3 kg bag of the Wild game with Sweet Potato, with a best before date of 07/01/2016 and the number C 22157. Suggest people check their bags. I'm waiting to hear from VIP and will be disappointed if I don't. We'll see...

I was worried I'd bought the same flavour for my dogs but I got the chicken with duck & garden veg with best before date of 26/12/2015. Where did the other no. come from? I can only find the time stamp of A 01:25, is that it?

• 2 weeks later...