Malamute And Adolescence...tell Me It Gets Better!?

ellejaytee

We have a 7 month old Alaskan Malamute. I gather he is going through adolescence because he is being a terror! He was pretty bitey towards me as a young puppy, but we trained him out I that.

Last night, he dug a hole in the grass (a big no-no, he has a huge section where he can dig), so he came inside to the laundry (where he sleeps). Emptied his water bowl on the floor. Put him in the smaller yard, he re-dug 3 holes, jumped in his pool, wouldn't listen, got jumpy and bitey. Came back inside and he emptied his water again, tried to eat the hose fittings for the washing machine, got told off and put in time out (door closed, lights off) which calmed him down. He is usually a saint for my partner, he adores him. He was at work last night. Our puppy is usually very good for me when my partner is at work.

This morning, he has MOVED the washing machine out from the wall, and chewed the output hose, then has taken issue with his poop bin outside (been in the same spot his whole life!), knocked it over and started pawing furiously at it.

Gosh! I can't believe how naughty he is! He used to be so well behaved, although he's not like this every day.

I'm just looking for support...tell me it gets better?!

For the record, I wanted to crate train him, partner didn't. He is successfully housebroken, and is very good at letting us know when he needs to go out.

Any other mal owners with advice? This is my first dog, although my partner has had a mal before.

He gets a lot of attention from my partner - he works weekend nights so is home with him all week. I am home weeknights and weekends. It's almost like our mal plays up so he can see my partner (dog trainer told us they will do anything for attention - be it positive or negative).

Playtime is a mixture of training and playing - he loves fetch (I taught him this, so proud!)! We also hide treats in his toys/treat ball. It's mainly my partner who takes him walking daily while I'm at work, so I think I lack authority because of this - he sees me as more of a playmate than his leader. He is a champion at sitting and waiting for food. He also doesn't get anything for free.

He has plenty of toys, the trainer told us that it either has to make noises, food has to fall out, or if he pulls it, it has to pull back - basically something stimulating. He loves new toys - but his favourites are his oinking pig, and this long tube one that makes a different sound at each end. He did have a duck, but he destroyed that! He has heaps of other toys, but those seem to be his favourite. He also likes to carry the milk crate outside around the backyard. He seemed to like chewing on gumboots, so I bought him a rubber witches hat. He also loves splashing around in his pool, then doing zoomies around the yard!

By the end of each day, he is exhausted!

:) he certainly sounds as though he has plenty of playtime .

he does, however need periods of training ..and periods of "lie-down-and stay-calm training."

perhaps 3 or 4 short training sessions will help - they only need to be 5 minutes - but need to be work - him learning and thinking, and getting much praise for doing new things :)

Being only 7 mths - perhaps 2 shorter walks each end of the day ?

may I also suggest your partner doesn't start rough&tumble games with pup ;)

You could perhaps do the early morning, or after work walk ?

Fetch is a good base - so much more can be fitted in to this ! Come, Sit, Give, Hold, Wait , heel ...all sorts :D

These might give you some ideas :)

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

It sounds like you might need to teach him to relax and do nothing.

Teach him that relaxing on his bed is a really nice thing to do.

Just like your trainer says. When he's on his bed give him attention. Not excited attention ofcourse, but soft praise, relaxing full body strokes and even the odd treat.

You can also play a game where you get him all revved up and excited then get him relaxed as quickly as you can (ideally lying in his side). You add a cue to this behaviour and then eventually you only need to say your cue and he will relax. Also time it and see if you can make the time between being excited and relaxed as short as possible.

My girl is very well behaved in the house but has trouble relaxing outside of the house and this game has helped her a lot.

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips and suggestions. I forgot to add - on a Friday afternoon, my partner naps before work and our pup is very good, he'll nap in the laundry too. Last weekend I had a big headache so my partner put him in the laundry and he napped for a couple of hours. If I try that, he'll attack the washing machine, backchat, bark etc.

I think I will try the relaxing outside exercises though!