Greyhound Puppy Issues..

caron

Hi and thank you to anyone reading my post.

I adopted a 10 week greyhound puppy on Saturday with much happiness and excitement. So far she has been an amazing pup. Really chilled and at times a little aloof, as I have been made aware is a Greyhound trait. I've had the typical puppy issues but the problem I'm having is one I've never had to deal with before. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure she is displaying separation anxiety. If I leave the room and close the door behind me ( my potty break ) and leave for only 1 minute she will wee on the floor. Even if I've only just taken her out. I'm in the process of crate training which at first went really well but after day 2 was horrible. As soon as I leave once again she is pooing and peeing in the crate. So far I've been doing the leave puppy for a short while and when she stops crying coming back and rewarding. Pretend to leave the house and come back a few minutes later. Not making a big deal on leaving and returning but nothing seems to work. Even when I'm sure she has gone potty outside she will sure enough do it inside minutes later.she gets really upset when I leave and I'm really concerned as I need to go back to work next week. I don't work long hrs just 4-5 hrs 2-3 days a week. Also I think I've overloaded my brain with Greyhound info and am a little hesitant to use my previous training methods as I've heard that Greyhounds are very sensitive. If someone with Greyhound knowledge could reply it would be so appreciated.

Thanks

where did you get your pup from? If she came from a race breeder it is likely she has gone straight from outside with all her siblings to inside with no one. Huge change for her. If she came from a rescue group, (I know one that had pups a week or so older them my current litter) then I would be asking to speak to the foster carer to find out the previous living situation. Greyhounds are a soft breed, no doubt about it, but what methods would you usually use? How much outside time is she getting?

where did you get your pup from? If she came from a race breeder it is likely she has gone straight from outside with all her siblings to inside with no one. Huge change for her. If she came from a rescue group, (I know one that had pups a week or so older them my current litter) then I would be asking to speak to the foster carer to find out the previous living situation. Greyhounds are a soft breed, no doubt about it, but what methods would you usually use? How much outside time is she getting?

Hi thanks for replying.

I got her from friends of the hounds.

She was with her litter till I picked her up, 5 all up and was crated with one of them at the time.

I know that they were with mum up untill 8 weeks and were then at a foster home where they received all the attention and love they needed. I picked her up when she was 10 weeks.

They were crated inside and had the freedom to roam and interact with the foster carers.

At the moment I'm not working so she wakes up with us at 5 am. Go for wees and poo. Come inside quiet play then she usually rests a little on balcony while I wait for kids to wake. Then outside again to play a little and toilet. I then crate her for the rush in the morning. ( a little unsettled but not too bad ) then free time with me to go out and about or go for training/ or short walk.

It is at this point I try to crate her and practice leaving her as I need to go back to work next week. I'm not going to leave her in the crate when I'm working only in a play room that has access to outdoors. But whenever I try to even go to the toilet and leave her by herself she carries on and makes a mess on the floor.

I've only ever had large bread dogs that have been real boof heads and have had to use quite a harsh correction with their leads ( always soft collars. No chokers or prongs)

She is a really gorgeous puppy with an amazing soft and kind nature but at the same time kind of resilient and nothing fazes her.. Except being left alone.

I'm kind of lost as to how to go about training her as well because I've never used treat rewards before. I'm attempting it with Lola at the moment but she is not food driven at all. I've taken her to one session of puppy school where we used treats as a distraction and motivator but she was not too interested

Would love to herar what you think.

Thanks.

Poor baby, she's never been alone. Most certainly do not use corrections on her for this. She needs to learn this. What is she like outside? Can she go outside during the busy period?

Where does she sleep at night and is she good then? What happens if you put her in the crate and sit down and read a book. Her messing when you leave is a sign of extreme stress. Same with treats, they won't take them if stressed, they shut down. It's a greyhound thing. Well it's lots of breeds but greys are very good at shutting down.

Edited by Rebanne

Poor baby, she's never been alone. Most certainly do not use corrections on her for this. She needs to learn this. What is she like outside? Can she go outside during the busy period?

Where does she sleep at night and is she good then? What happens if you put her in the crate and sit down and read a book. Her messing when you leave is a sign of extreme stress. Same with treats, they won't take them if stressed, they shut down. It's a greyhound thing. Well it's lots of breeds but greys are very good at shutting down.

If I put her outside she cries, even if we are close by. She is better in the crate when we are around. A little upset but settles pretty well starting yesterday. As long as we are around. At the moment she is in the crate at night by my bed. We tried to leave her in the lounge one night but that didn't work out. Last night in my room she was great. No complaints and only up once for toilet. I don't correct her at the moment only strong no and redirect. Food wise even when she is calm and happy she is not interested so the shutting down doesn't apply there.

My only real concern is how to get her used to beeing alone.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it

:) Caron

Also might add that I don't correct her crying when alone. I only leave. Wait till she is quiet then come back.

Is that the right thing to do?

Edited by caron

Perhaps leave puppy with something really good that she only gets when you leave her alone? You could give her a bone when she's outside during the morning rush or a kong when she's in her crate? That is unless she completely shuts down when you're gone and is not interested in anything else but if that's the case you could get her used to playing with a kong in her crate while you are in the room, wait till she's really going to town on it and slip out of the room briefly and come back in (rinse and repeat) so that eventually she pays less attention to what you're doing because she's more interested in the super good thing mum gives her?

Also the first day of puppy school is extremely overwhelming, she may have been too nervous around the other pups to take food from you or she might've been too excited by the other pups to be interested in what you have to offer. Or if she just really isn't food motivated you could try using her favourite toy?

Oh and yes greyhound puppy pictures would be appreciated!

post-23039-0-76022700-1409807093_thumb.jpgpost-23039-0-98734900-1409807068_thumb.jpgpost-23039-0-92728000-1409807044_thumb.jpg

Hello and thanks all for your replies. A quick update. went out today for 2 1/2 hrs. i was really dreading it but it had to be done. I set up by kids playroom as a doggy playroom, lots or treats (kong and some other contraption i bought) lots of toys, bed, crate which was blocking the entrance to the rest of the house, news paper for when nature calls and off i went. When i got back I was amazed to find that such I little (well not so little puppy) could move a X large crate and escape into the house. i scanned the area. no puppy and no destruction. i went slowly thought the house no puppy and no accidents either. kind if got worried at this point because there was no puppy in sight. i eventually found her fast asleep an my bed. when she saw me there was no real reaction just a drowsy looking puppy that followed me into the lounge.

she was pretty quite until the kids got home and only then did the puppy in her come out. Not sure if her subdued behavior was stress from me leaving her. love to hear what others think.

All in alll I think it went pretty well.

Ive added some photos for those that asked, not sure if its going to work .If not ill try again later.

Thanks again for your replies.

yep photos worked. Bad lighting though..

Edited by caron

1409821795[/url]' post='6556583']

Ah yes the old greyhound in the bed syndrome :laugh:

She's gorgeous and it's obvious she has a wonderful home, what's her name?

What advice is Katrina giving you?

Her name is Lola and I got her from Lisa not Katrina. Katrina is on the sunny coast isn't she?Might give them a call and ask their advise Thanks.

Her name is Lola and I got her from Lisa not Katrina. Katrina is on the sunny coast isn't she?Might give them a call and ask their advise Thanks.

Oh ok I thought Katrina handled all the adoptions these days, I only dealt with Katrina when I fostered a dog for them down here. Rebanne will be the one to help you here, she breeds show greyhounds and is very experienced with litters. Lola is gorgeous :)

See i would be doing the opposite have her out at busy time ,she needs to learn to interact with everyone but realize its not about her ,the more she can mingle on her own the quicker she will learn about life is great & go about doing her own thing,then when everyone has gone quiet time .

At present the crate to her is all about being left & she hasn't learnt to have self moderate her time & life experiences,she has always had company BUT by being able to interact with no attendtion made she will quickly learn that being velcro is boring & that there are more fun things to do.

You need to train her not to be needy .

Greyhounds are lounge lizards ,she will be happier with a couch than a crate BUT all our show greys where crate trained .

When left alone we always leave the TV or radio ,our boarding kennels has the radio 24/7 because its a noise not a deadly silence

Greyhounds now they have done something wrong so generally you don't even need to say anything .they will slink over & have the expression of extreme sorrow.

As for treats what are you using ??

Is she a good eater ??

Does she like toys ??

Does she have a coat for the early mornings a cold Greyhound is also an unhappy Greyhound .

Do you leave the crate door open when she is free & does she happily take herself there or do you have another comfy bed set up that she will chill on?

As for toilet training all my pups are brought in & then i will take them straight out again & use the "toilet" key word because often they forget & owners then train them that coming in a toileting is the routine & when they go massive praise especially if she is reliant on you to open the door for access,

Enjoy this clumsy time mits like living with a baby Giraffe & don't forget training ours loved obedience * i did agility with another

1409835903[/url]' post='6556696']

See i would be doing the opposite have her out at busy time ,she needs to learn to interact with everyone but realize its not about her ,the more she can mingle on her own the quicker she will learn about life is great & go about doing her own thing,then when everyone has gone quiet time .

At present the crate to her is all about being left & she hasn't learnt to have self moderate her time & life experiences,she has always had company BUT by being able to interact with no attendtion made she will quickly learn that being velcro is boring & that there are more fun things to do.

You need to train her not to be needy .

Greyhounds are lounge lizards ,she will be happier with a couch than a crate BUT all our show greys where crate trained .

When left alone we always leave the TV or radio ,our boarding kennels has the radio 24/7 because its a noise not a deadly silence

Greyhounds now they have done something wrong so generally you don't even need to say anything .they will slink over & have the expression of extreme sorrow.

As for treats what are you using ??

Is she a good eater ??

Does she like toys ??

Does she have a coat for the early mornings a cold Greyhound is also an unhappy Greyhound .

Do you leave the crate door open when she is free & does she happily take herself there or do you have another comfy bed set up that she will chill on?

As for toilet training all my pups are brought in & then i will take them straight out again & use the "toilet" key word because often they forget & owners then train them that coming in a toileting is the routine & when they go massive praise especially if she is reliant on you to open the door for access,

Enjoy this clumsy time mits like living with a baby Giraffe & don't forget training ours loved obedience * i did agility with another

Hi.Thanks for that. I have noticed the last day or so when I have had her out she has become a lot more independent. So what you said makes sense.I have also noticed she is a lot more responsive to Raw food so will try training with that. At the moment she is on both raw and kibble. Not so keen on the kibble but will eat it.Yes she does go to crate when open and also has another comfy bed to go to.I'm on the Gold Coast so it's not so cold any more but she gets lots of blankets to keep warm.On toileting. I have a real big open open plan house so it is hard to keep her confined to one area. So when I do give her free time we have a lot more accidents. I take her out every hr or so and do use toilet as a key word and lots of praise. This might sound silly but I also feel she is getting annoyed that I put her on lead and take her to the toilet area. She puts on the breaks and just sits there.Thanks for the advise. I appreciate your time:)

1409829566[/url]' post='6556649']
1409828567[/url]' post='6556644']

Oh ok I thought Katrina handled all the adoptions these days, I only dealt with Katrina when I fostered a dog for them down here. Rebanne will be the one to help you here, she breeds show greyhounds and is very experienced with litters. Lola is gorgeous :)

She is pretty cute :) thanksWho is Rebanne?