Greyhound And Chooks

caron

We just adopted two with our whippet.

First off, I'd never trust them alone. I know she's pretty drivey and I wouldn't want to risk it. I know another DOLer, perhaps Kirty, has a beautiful whippet who is quite happy to interact with the chooks.

Is she on the drivier side? How old is she?

We did some LAT exercises and rewarded her for leaving it, and ignoring them.

Best tip is to dog proof your coop and don't expect too much from.her, they're smart about it, and I know Rosie would absolutely have a chook if she could get to them...

She is only 11 weeks. I've never owned a grey so I don't know if she has a high drive. She dose seem very interested in anything moving but no more then any other pup I don't think. We have two cats that run around and she is pretty good with them( they have swiped her though so that might be why) At the moment I'm taking her down to chooks with lead. She notices them but doesn't seem to fixate which is good. When she looks away I praise and give a treat.She does lunge at times too. Chooks have been free range since we got them and their coop is not easy to fence off. Bummer if I can't train her. Oh well chooks will have to go then.

My pups are 10 weeks old and already tracking birds flying around. Greyhounds are hunters, Sighthounds, movement attracts them. There is the very occasional one that is ok with chooks, I fostered one, kill a cat as soon as look at it but ok with chooks. I'd never trust one.

Edited by Rebanne

My pups are 10 weeks old and already tracking birds flying around. Greyhounds are hunters, Sighthounds, movement attracts them. There is the very occasional one that is ok with chooks, I fostered one, kill a cat as soon as look at it but ok with chooks. I'd never trust one.

This.

They're smart enough to know when they can get away with it too.

Might be good as gold when you're around but the second your back is turned...haha.

I'd definitely not leave them free range. Not even with a dog I trusted not to eat them.

A friend of mine has Greys. They were all brought in as rescued adults. She has free ranged chooks and peacocks. They are fine together but she still locks up all the birds when she goes out. Even if a dog is 100% with them I still wouldn't go out and leave them. Have read way too many horror stories on chook forums of peoples adult dogs who have been raised with chooks, massacring the lot suddenly one day. My house dogs are perfectly fine with all my birds but I still lock the dogs up when I'm out, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Depends a bit on the dog, I had a Borzoi who was safe with chooks, she would run past them to startle them but knew she shouldn't chase. Same dog went crazy over foxes so it wasnt a lack of drive. But that is one Borzoi out of seven, the others could not be trusted alone with chickens

• 1 month later...

depending on the dogs they can be trained to be fine with chooks. My whippets are high prey drive but once they learnt the chickens were off limits they were good with them. I dont assume my next dog will be the same.

The chicken isn't injured here, she's sunbaking with the dogs.

10769552184_a6fdf5fa5d_c.jpg5F6A0184dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

10769093046_50cc86da15_c.jpg5F6A0179dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin