My Experience With Male Vs Female

Ivory & Beau

We live with a pack of four dogs.

The bitches are Ivy [6] and Tinker [unknown but guess 5]

The dogs are Badger [4] and Zeke [14]

We have baby gates up so the dogs are just in the main living area and kitchen. We are professional baby gate jumpers here!

In the morning while I have coffee and chill at the laptop I let the dogs back in till breakfast time. They get all excited about being allowed back in after a morning pee. After a few minutes they relax and go back to sleep. All good till I want another coffee or have to get up for any reason.

The boys are on their couch sleeping and hardly move, unless they know food is involved. Even if I get up, they don't shift a bone.

The girls are another story! I shift my leg and Tinker jumps up, tail smacking the floor. She's always laying on the floor behind my desk. Ivy is also on the floor in front of my desk. She will come over for random cuddles and kisses to make sure of something :confused: Paws up on the chair making me spin around.

Yup, the boys are still on their couch asleep. Badger might raise his head.

I have to say I prefer male dogs as pets, although I have owned 1 noticeable exception. Rita my SC Chi many years ago was a doll. The best male dog I have ever owned by a stand out mile was Sonny my Chow Chow, followed closely by the Bouvier boy I had as a teenager. I think I will always have boys in the future.

Both our girls are like cats and want cuddles on their own terms, sometimes ask to come up for a lap sit and a scratch but mostly are independent and like to sleep a good distance away while I'm working at the desk or watching tv or whatever. Carl and Jag on the other hand are total velcro dogs and just thrive off being on/near people, doesn't matter what gender :confused:

I have three girls here who have been nick named 'the coven' for a bloody good reason.

If someone has done something naughty you can bet one of the girls is behind it. If I didn't want to breed I wouldn't have girls at all, I'd take bys any day. So much easier and less moody, not to mention far more affectionate.

I always thought the girls to be more cuddly but as Zeus has got older, he's far more mellow and sooky than Kirah. The only issue I have I that Kirah is totally all 'me, me , me. Oh I'm here, play with me' and Zeus steps into the background. It's hard for me to encourage him over for pats because he just stands back when Kirah's around.

When we're at agility he's such a cuddly bubba because that's all about him and me time and Kirah is at home. His problem too is that he'd love to be a lap dog but he's too lanky with boney thin legs and joints that hurt!

I only had male dogs as pets but tend to foster females, so we have a nice balance.

I think in all honesty, I would prefer to have a male as a pet - I find them 'easier' going.

I did have one male foster, that I got before Zig, so he was here when Zig came home and they got along fine.

Growing up we usually had a mix of male and females - the girls were always more in your face and the lads seemed to be more chilled out.. Just from what I remember but I think they were mostly, equally cuddly.

Zig is the first dog I have ever been around that isn't really into cuddles - he will tolerate them but you can see that he would rather you didn't do it.

If he wants to be close, he comes and lays over my lap and as long as I don't get cuddly, he will stay there but is more than happy to get up and leave if I hug him.

Maddie is my first girl and as much as I adore her she will be my last. She is very affectionate though, moreso than Stan, she loves to be cuddled and kissed and is my shadow but she is a moody cow. She loves Stan but she is so bossy and nasty to him, ambushes him in the yard when he's trying to do a poo and just randomly bites him. She's taken several pieces out of him under the guise of "playing" and takes toys off him as soon as he starts playing with one. Having said all that they do curl up on the lounge together, Stan loves to lay his head on her, and I can't take him anywhere without her or she'll scream the house down.

She does love him...in her own special way :laugh:

Both our girls are like cats and want cuddles on their own terms, sometimes ask to come up for a lap sit and a scratch but mostly are independent and like to sleep a good distance away while I'm working at the desk or watching tv or whatever. Carl and Jag on the other hand are total velcro dogs and just thrive off being on/near people, doesn't matter what gender :confused:

Same here ... we always joke that Juno is a cat stuck in a dog's body ... and Hunter is constantly on top of me lol. He thinks he is a lapdog but he is just a little bit heavy!

I have mainly had girls over the years & ran a pack of four girls with no issues at all - mainly because the top dog was a real alpha in the true sense of the word, she never needed to flex her muscles, just one look would restore order :laugh:

I miss all the ones gone to the bridge, both male & female! Gender to me is not important, but pack dynamics certainly are - nothing worse than trying to juggle dogs that do not get on.

This morning I watched Princess Bitchface singlehandedly shred a plastic bag of hay, spread the hay around the yard and tear around the yard with the plastic trying to goad the sleeping Gus into playing her game.

She's also more likely to snap when confronted with rude digs, despite being somewhat rude herself, whereas Gus just comes to me looking sad when another dog snaps at him.

No more females for us!

2 boys, 2 girls. My boys are much more mellow and chilled out. One is very affectionate (hello Benny!) the other is very easy going. Hermon is, as a vet said the day I met him, a dude. Nothing phases him, worries him, or gets him too excited. He just chills out.

The girls are both much more intense and trickier. Brandi is a very snuggly dog, but definitely has a mind of her own and will obey usually. Unless distracted. Paige is very independent and has her own agenda all the time. On walks, she is always 'on'.

We had the girls first, and I think I will always have a girl. They appeal to me with their independence and spice (and one day I will own a female grey called Sugar and Spice). But we'll also now always have a boy or two around. Just sooooo much easier on every level.

I have a 13 yo female and a 9 yo male (who I got at 4 yo). The female was really independent and not hugely keen on cuddles until fairly recently. Now that she doesn't see so well she's really fixated on following me around. The boy has always been a bit of a soppy date, similar to my old fellow who was a real mummy's boy. I've been thinking if I get a pup of this breed I'd like a female because they tend to be a bit smaller but actually I think the males are soppier.

As a child we had both male and females and i don't remember any big differences. Only one of our boys was a soft cuddly more clingy type. As an adult i've only ever had dogs - I admit i prefer males. In 3.5 weeks we're getting another pup; this time a girl. Although i would prefer a dog, i chose a bitch to help make it more harmonious living between my 3yo dog and the new bitch.

This morning I watched Princess Bitchface singlehandedly shred a plastic bag of hay, spread the hay around the yard and tear around the yard with the plastic trying to goad the sleeping Gus into playing her game.

She's also more likely to snap when confronted with rude digs, despite being somewhat rude herself, whereas Gus just comes to me looking sad when another dog snaps at him.

No more females for us!

The beady eyed assassin does the same, tries to goad Stan into playing but he knows he'll get the rough end of the stick so he just tries to saunter past her. She play bows in front of him, blocking him from coming inside, she's a thousand times quicker than him too so he can't even outrun her.

Dallies are normally snuggly but Zig is not - he is very sweet, fun to train and likes his space. Em has an intensity about her that never ceases to amaze me - she's currently on my feet and would prefer to be on my lap. She is absolutely wild when out working in the field and I often feel as we are JUST maintaining connection with a silk thread. I absolutely love being on the edge :D I like the balance in my household - I'm looking after a pup for a month and that has really put a spanner in the works with a bitch from a different, more bold breed!

No more females for us!

The beady eyed assassin does the same, tries to goad Stan into playing but he knows he'll get the rough end of the stick so he just tries to saunter past her. She play bows in front of him, blocking him from coming inside, she's a thousand times quicker than him too so he can't even outrun her.

Exactly! And then the poor boys give you the 'mum, help!' face.

God knows how many times Gus has been in trouble for her work. She's smart enough to rile him up and watch him go, so he more often gets caught at the tale end, but I always know who started it.

I don't think gender is a factor in how a dog is overall.

Whether the dog is a lone dog, one of a pack, entire or desexed & what they own is how people base their personal experiences.

When having only one dog a very, very long time ago I didn't find much difference that was based on sex. Having a pack, some entire & some not, obviously they behave differently but apart from the boys vying in a pee fest when girls are in season generally in affection & liking to be near me, like glued to me, gender makes no difference.

I note how boys seem to be favoured in responses here but when it comes to people wanting puppies for some odd reason girls are always in demand more. Weird when little boys are just as loving & obedient.

In owning 2 cats, 2 horses and 2 rats we always had females. Didi was meant to be a boy but when I saw her face and watched her pull her own pee soaked paper towels out of the foster carer's bin and all over the kitchen, I knew she was the one :)

I can't say that Didi's traits are due to her being female but she is so cheeky and calculating, once she knows something is naughty, she will carefully and sneakily do it as much possible, eg. instead of just chewing my shoes she will rip the innersoles out of the right shoe (only the right) and put it back where it was so you are none the wiser... until you go to put your shoes on of course. Just now I forgot I'd put her outside for a wee and only remembered to let her back in when she whimpering (cold and windy out) instead of coming straight back in, she sat and stared at me accusingly right in the eye until I got the point and then trotted in.

On the flip side she lives for cuddles and is a huge sook, she will whine over the littlest thing and while she's fine doing her own thing, she enjoys being as close to us as possible. She's very patient and forgiving with other dogs, barely ever seen her snap and when she is snapped at she just looks sad and slinks away.

I've got to say I was a bit worried I wouldn't bond with a female dog and that she would be drawn to the men in my family instead and while she is in love with my Dad (he is definitely her favourite) we have a solid bond and while she might be most affectionate with Dad, she knows I am her 'person' and the amount of snuggly-sookiness I get from her is more than enough. I think my next dog will probably be male just for the sake of trying something new and avoiding a two bitch household if I can... but I will always want a female, it's what I've always known and I can appreciate that 'spice' (good word btw whoever used it) and think it suits my attitude too.