Which Breeds Do You Wish Were In Australia?

Kavik

Sort of following on from the East European Shepherd thread, and some discussions with others, I got to thinking about what breeds I would interested in that are not yet in Australia.

Since my main interest is agility, the breeds I am interested in are some that would be ideal for that sport. Here are some that I think would be great to try:

Mudi

Pyrenean Shepherd

What breeds do people wish were in Australia?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top picks would be the Karelian Bear Dog (which I got to meet while in Finland recently :love: ) it's a breed I've been in love with from afar for many years and getting to meet some was pretty special.

And the Yakutian Laika (which I also got to meet as a friend of mine had recently bred a litter, so many cute puppies!)

Edited by Bjelkier

Agility and sport I kind of hesitating putting it together. Some representatives of any breed can show extreme intelligence not necessarily by selection of breeding. Even some no breed cross-cross-cross dogs can trash hi profile top of the class breeds in competition if they allowed to.

I believe should be a competition where bread is in no use till they win.

And as far as I know Australia got every dog breed representative from around the world.

Agility and sport I kind of hesitating putting it together. Some representatives of any breed can show extreme intelligence not necessarily by selection of breeding. Even some no breed cross-cross-cross dogs can trash hi profile top of the class breeds in competition if they allowed to.

And as far as I know Australia got every dog breed representative from around the world.

There are a LOT of breeds not in Australia! In this thread there are a few mentioned, there are many others!

Agility is definitely a sport! While all dogs can compete in agility, and this is one great thing about the sport, lots of crossbreeds do well, there is a reason why some breeds are more popular all over the world at the top levels. Agility is changing all over the world, and becoming a sport which requires speed, agility, accuracy and turning ability. Courses are becoming more difficult, obstacle training techniques are improving,and handling techniques more complex. Most people in agility are not interested in breeding, just training and competing :) I think there are some breeds not yet in Australia that would be fun to own and train and compete in agility with.

Edited by Kavik

Oh wow Kavik! The Pyrenean Shepherd is so sleek and agile!! Even though you talk about your love of agility and wanting suitable breeds I was still expecting it to look and be similarly built to the Pyrenean Mountain Dog. Was completely surprised!!! :laugh:

Glad you were pleasantly surprised :laugh: She is probably the most famous trainer with a Pry Shep :laugh:

My top picks would be the Karelian Bear Dog (which I got to meet while in Finland recently :love: ) it's a breed I've been in love with from afar for many years and getting to meet some was pretty special.

And the Yakutian Laika (which I also got to meet as a friend of mine had recently bred a litter, so many cute puppies!)

The little bit I've read on these dogs suggests they have a rather serious temperament!

I can't really understand your post very well.

Are you saying agility is not a sport? And it shouldn't be respected or taken seriously because a cross bred dog can be successful?

There are lots of breeds not yet available in Australia. Although. many of the top agility breeds are already established in Australia. It's pretty hard to look past a well bred working or performance kelpie or border collie for an agility prospect.

Pyrenean shepherds would be interesting but I'm not really into long hair! Although I think they come in different varieties of coat.

I also like the polish lowland sheepdog but again a bit hairy!

I like the look of beauceron's, hovawart and Dutch shepherds. But not really dogs that would suit my needs unfortunately.

The little bit I've read on these dogs suggests they have a rather serious temperament!

Karelians do need an experienced hand, yes.

The ones I all met were very well adjusted and friendly dogs.

I'm not that all into hair either :laugh: . I think the Mudi looks the most interesting to me.

There are a couple of Dutchie breeders in Australia :thumbsup: Look interesting, I've only met one in person, but probably a little on the bigger side for me!

Here is a shot of me with a lovely Laika named Volk (Wolf in English) in Kamchatka - Eastern Russia. He was a brilliant dog that would bark when bears were near. Laika means bark :) It was great to have along as there were many many bears.

2009136.jpg

2009134.jpg