Miniature Fox Terrior

Cavstar

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Perse said they are not a registered breed - about 20 years ago they tried to get recognition but weren't allowed because they are not a miniature of the Fox Terrier, so the breeders split up and some went for recognition as the Tenterfield Terrier, and some stayed as mini foxies. There are slight variations between the two standards including foot shape (TT says round foot, MF says oval foot), but the breeds are very similar.

This is a LONG time ago ..but my mini was a rabbiter..would run miles ..and was hardly ever still - she was my perfect companion, being a bush kid- always on the move :) When I had to go to boarding school - she apparently sat by my pushbike in the shed and didn't eat for days ... :(

Hmm thanks everyone.

I'm going with the lady to meet the dog on Friday. The dog is 5 & the current owner has said that she would prefer an elderly person to take her in.

well, if the owner said that- and the dog is mature - all may be fine . Then again , hopefully dog is not a 'keg on legs' :(

My dog is 7 and I think he would be better with an elderly person than with us... he can be a bit ball crazy and has a habit of hunting for rats / ball chasing but I'd say 22 hours of the day he just likes to snooze and when my mum is looking after him he picks up on her quietness and just follows her around snoozing in the sun and he particularly loves fossicking in the dirt when she is gardening :)

I think people can sometimes say they want an elderly person because the dog gets stressed out with hustle and bustle and groups of people, I have seen a lot of TTs / MFs that are anxious so it wouldn't surprise me if this was why they were saying they wanted her to go to an elderly person. Mine fits this description and I can see how he would be better with an older quieter household.

But sometimes they say an elderly person because the dog is not good with kids, which can be a problem if grandkids visit often...

Yes- be careful . if the dog is in anyway fearful /shy ... fat .... noisy .

Check if dog is wary of men

is it OK physically - no kneecaps slips etc which is why perhaps it doesn't exercise ... teeth good .. vaccs/HW etc done /desexing done

Check allergies

is it OK with other dogs/people/noises when walking ?

My dog is 7 and I think he would be better with an elderly person than with us... he can be a bit ball crazy and has a habit of hunting for rats / ball chasing but I'd say 22 hours of the day he just likes to snooze and when my mum is looking after him he picks up on her quietness and just follows her around snoozing in the sun and he particularly loves fossicking in the dirt when she is gardening :)

I think people can sometimes say they want an elderly person because the dog gets stressed out with hustle and bustle and groups of people, I have seen a lot of TTs / MFs that are anxious so it wouldn't surprise me if this was why they were saying they wanted her to go to an elderly person. Mine fits this description and I can see how he would be better with an older quieter household.

But sometimes they say an elderly person because the dog is not good with kids, which can be a problem if grandkids visit often...

Thanks Pie.

Yes the current owner has said that she gets anxious around men which wouldn't be a problem (her husband died recently). The current owner has 3 small kids & said she is great with them. Its a necessity as the lady who's looking at the dog has loads of grandchildren! The owner is going to bring one of her kids with her when we meet.

I'm going to bring my dog to see how she is with other dogs..

My elderly friend just basically wants a companion dog.. a little lap dog that will follow her around & that will enjoy a walk every day.

Yes- be careful . if the dog is in anyway fearful /shy ... fat .... noisy .

Check if dog is wary of men

is it OK physically - no kneecaps slips etc which is why perhaps it doesn't exercise ... teeth good .. vaccs/HW etc done /desexing done

Check allergies

is it OK with other dogs/people/noises when walking ?

Thanks Pers. I'll add them to my list

the wariness of men could be a problem ..esp as your friend lives alone ... think hard about what may escalate if the only men she sees are workers/folks with noisy kids , etc ...

I am also wondering why she is being rehomed .Did they not say anything in the ad/enquiry?

the wariness of men could be a problem ..esp as your friend lives alone ... think hard about what may escalate if the only men she sees are workers/folks with noisy kids , etc ...

I am also wondering why she is being rehomed .Did they not say anything in the ad/enquiry?

She is moving interstate & unable to take the dog with her. She said she gets scared of men & will just shake & go in her kennel.

One of my cavs is like that though & it isn't an issue. She generally just bolts into her crate as soon as an unknown (or known) man comes in.