Discount Vet Clinic

Maddy

Recently, this place (FB) opened up down in Hobart and I was wondering if anything like this exists on the mainland and if so, what impact it's had on nearby regular clinics?

Reason I ask is that there's been some discussion about whether or not this really benefits the community (they don't offer desexing) or if it just gives BYBers a cheap way to do the vaccs/worm/vet checks. Obviously the idea is lower prices but very high volume, sort of like The Reject Shop, but for animal health.

Thoughts?

Would you use a vet where you/your animal were seen/treated in the waiting room as standard and surgical procedures weren't actually available*?

*I assume because GA/monitoring equipment would require a lot more of an investment by the owner of the clinic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap vaccinations, worming and microchipping are great but I'm not sure I'd visit this clinic if my pet had a medical problem. I think I'd prefer to go somewhere with X-ray/anaesthesia/surgical facilities. This approach will definitely cater to people who may not be able to spend as much on their pets or who just have a quick problem/question though, but I'd be a bit worried about medications e.g. corticosteroids, antibiotics being overprescribed or even wrongly prescribed, with a lack of diagnostics being performed to work out what the problem really is.

I believe this clinic's motto is that a cheaper alternative should always be offered with a referral to a fully-equipped clinic and I'm not too sure what I think about that. And at $12 per consult, would there a lot of pressure on the vets to get clients in and out quickly in order to make a profit? Realistically though this clinic will probably (and should) be 99% focused on affordable preventatives and that can only be a good thing...

I love the idea of lower prices.... a good idea! Not sure how the concept will work though ...with no surgery performed - it will be really easy for folks to not bother about desexing ...

It actually seems very popular/busy. And when I first heard about it, it did sound like a good idea.

I suppose the reason I was curious about other peoples' thoughts was the impact it would have on other clinics in the area. A vet nurse friend posted about that issue, pointing out vaccines/worming/check-ups were core services that help to cover more expensive services (like desexing) for regular clinics. Pet Aid says they're cutting their overheads by not providing those services, which suggests they're expensive to offer. So.. for regular clinics, losing the bulk stuff could actually drive up prices for things like desexing/other surgery/diagnostics, which doesn't actually benefit the community in the long term. And the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with her.

Might put pressure on the other vets clinics to be a little more cost conscious.... When you consider that most of the time a vaccination visit takes 5-8 minutes and they charge around $70. Bet the vaccination costs the clinic about $10. Not long ago I had a vet supply a cream for injury to a horses leg... cost $48 just for the cream... I went to the local chemist and brought EXACTLY the same cream for $7.50... complained to the vet and she just shrugged her shoulders...... however see her driving around in a brand Rangerover.... mmmm

I love the idea of lower prices.... a good idea! Not sure how the concept will work though ...with no surgery performed - it will be really easy for folks to not bother about desexing ...

It actually seems very popular/busy. And when I first heard about it, it did sound like a good idea.

I suppose the reason I was curious about other peoples' thoughts was the impact it would have on other clinics in the area. A vet nurse friend posted about that issue, pointing out vaccines/worming/check-ups were core services that help to cover more expensive services (like desexing) for regular clinics. Pet Aid says they're cutting their overheads by not providing those services, which suggests they're expensive to offer. So.. for regular clinics, losing the bulk stuff could actually drive up prices for things like desexing/other surgery/diagnostics, which doesn't actually benefit the community in the long term. And the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with her.

If this is true, which makes sense to me and I feel it is. More of these may open, which will drive all independently owned vets broke :(

It will only be greencross left. And i am not sure how I feel about that..

Might put pressure on the other vets clinics to be a little more cost conscious.... When you consider that most of the time a vaccination visit takes 5-8 minutes and they charge around $70. Bet the vaccination costs the clinic about $10. Not long ago I had a vet supply a cream for injury to a horses leg... cost $48 just for the cream... I went to the local chemist and brought EXACTLY the same cream for $7.50... complained to the vet and she just shrugged her shoulders...... however see her driving around in a brand Rangerover.... mmmm

I know some vets do charge quite a lot for basic stuff but using my own vet as an example.. they do discounts/free work for rescues, are an NDN member, offer pensioner discounts and even if you qualify for none of those, are generally pretty cheap. The senior vet is definitely not rich and I've actually seen him out the front before, doing their gardening. If one of these discount clinics opened up near us, our clinic would go under and we'd actually have no choice but go to one of the very expensive clinics (seeing as they'd probably be able to remain afloat).

I've been seeing the same vet since I was 8 (with my first ever cat) and the kind of relationship and trust you build with your vet is worth the extra few dollars, I think.

Not all vets are like that. My vet drives a Beamer, lives on acres in one of the most prestigious addresses on the Central Coast and is building a mansion on the beach at the moment but he never rips anyone off, offers payment plans for people that genuinely can't afford it and understands that people do struggle. I've been going to him for 20 years, he's a hard man but fair.

The vials for the vaccines actually cost very little less than these guys are charging to do them for. They used to be cheaper, but the price went up rather steeply a while back.

When you go to a regular vet for vaccinations, you usually get a general checkup of your dog too... let's not forget that.

T.

I know some vets do charge quite a lot for basic stuff but using my own vet as an example.. they do discounts/free work for rescues, are an NDN member, offer pensioner discounts and even if you qualify for none of those, are generally pretty cheap. The senior vet is definitely not rich and I've actually seen him out the front before, doing their gardening. If one of these discount clinics opened up near us, our clinic would go under and we'd actually have no choice but go to one of the very expensive clinics (seeing as they'd probably be able to remain afloat).I've been seeing the same vet since I was 8 (with my first ever cat) and the kind of relationship and trust you build with your vet is worth the extra few dollars, I think.

Not all vets are like that. My vet drives a Beamer, lives on acres in one of the most prestigious addresses on the Central Coast and is building a mansion on the beach at the moment but he never rips anyone off, offers payment plans for people that genuinely can't afford it and understands that people do struggle. I've been going to him for 20 years, he's a hard man but fair.

The vet i have found sounds a lot like yours, more so yours Maddy, as the clinic itself is small and slightly tired looking on the outside, and she drives and old car- so i dont think she's rolling in it. But she is a lovely lady, says it how it is, and wont rip you off at all. I found her after going to 2 different vets who did not think this way...

I used to work at a pet supply store in Melbourne that had something similiar. The store didn't sell fluffy critters(fish and a few birds) but did have a groomer and a visiting vet that came for 2-3 hours a day. The clinic only did vaccs, discount chipping, etc, etc. The vet would look at medical issues but the person would be referred to the associated vet clinic if surgery, etc was required. Very successful concept.

I had the misfortune of taking my 2 young ACD's, 2 year old boy, and 5 month old boy, to this clinic for vaccination. Older boy went first, very young Vet, (perhaps just out of Vet school???), needed 3 attempts to insert needle into him :mad . Thankfully he wasnt worried by her constant attempts to get the needle into him :mad .Very basic 'checkup', listened to his heart, checked eyes, ears, mouth etc, no temperature taken ??? Pretty much the same happened with the young boy, but failed to notice he has 2 retained baby teeth next to his canines, despite 'checking' his teeth :confused: . She tried twice to get the needle into him :mad ...

No I wasn't at all impressed with her skills, and this is a very basic skill that she should have had.

Also dog before us, a 2 year old very lethargic large crossbreed, she thought he might have a bowel obstruction, but gave anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and was sent home, with the advice that if he was still unwell to bring him back tomorrow :eek: WHAT ??????? I hope that poor dog is still alive...

I will not be going back to that clinic, EVER. I will not recommend anyone to take their dogs there either.

I do not understand why they are taking 3 goes to vaccinate a dog?

You do not need a vein for vaccinations, it is just given hypodermically- under the skin.

So literally all you have to do is scruff the dog, put the needle there and voila.

Clearly something is going on in her head!

Exactly Denali, a very simple thing, im sure they are taught in1st year, then they woukd be practicing this skill, regularly for the next 5 years :mad ?????????????????? 5 attempts for 2 dogs ??? My hubby is a nurse, he very nearly snatched the needle from her and did them both himself, lol...

I had the misfortune of taking my 2 young ACD's, 2 year old boy, and 5 month old boy, to this clinic for vaccination. Older boy went first, very young Vet, (perhaps just out of Vet school???), needed 3 attempts to insert needle into him :mad . Thankfully he wasnt worried by her constant attempts to get the needle into him :mad .Very basic 'checkup', listened to his heart, checked eyes, ears, mouth etc, no temperature taken ??? Pretty much the same happened with the young boy, but failed to notice he has 2 retained baby teeth next to his canines, despite 'checking' his teeth :confused: . She tried twice to get the needle into him :mad ...

No I wasn't at all impressed with her skills, and this is a very basic skill that she should have had.

Also dog before us, a 2 year old very lethargic large crossbreed, she thought he might have a bowel obstruction, but gave anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and was sent home, with the advice that if he was still unwell to bring him back tomorrow :eek: WHAT ??????? I hope that poor dog is still alive...

I will not be going back to that clinic, EVER. I will not recommend anyone to take their dogs there either.

Oh dear, that's awful :(

Unfortunately I don't have a good report for there either. I took my dog and one of our cats there, the dog for a vaccination and the cat due to hair and weight loss. The vet gave my very old dog the WRONG VACCINATION :eek::mad and wouldn't take a blood sample from my cat because she 'wasn't good at it'. OK, I'm glad she didn't do it because she didn't feel confident, but I wasn't expecting to have to go back on the weekend when the manager was going to be there to do the blood test. In the end we went back to our usual vet, who is fantastic.

We thought we'd just give it a try for the very basics (like vaccinations, claw trimming etc.) but even my husband said there's no way we're taking any of our guys back there for anything again.