Do You Have An Entire Male Dog Inside?

Stitch

I am interested to get some feedback on having an entire male dog inside your house.

How hard was he to toilet train & how reliable is he?

Does he lift his leg on the furniture & do you find little accidents around the place?

As a breeder I have only ever had bitches as a house dog and never let my stud dogs in the house unsupervised.

I am now contemplating keeping a male puppy and would like to have his companionship.

He is just starting to get the hang of toileting outside.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entire male Dally here - has not been used at stud but is a HUGE marker. If he's not training or exercising or sun baking he is inside.

Lifted his leg once indoors at 9 months and I just went back to puppy inspired toilet training. The only other time he was tempted to mark indoors was when we moved house - again I just went back to taking him out every time he had been sniffing previous dog smells. He toilets on command which is a huge bonus. My ESS bitch does drive him silly when she's in season of course but he has never marked indoors. He also wouldn't dream of marking on the deck or balcony as I treated that area as indoors for the purpose of training. I've had a young male pup for a few months and have a friend's desexed male staying for a week with no problems but I would not pressure him with another entire adult male. It's a bit nuts when you have girls in season but I really enjoy the balance he lends to the pack, apart from the fact that he really is a lovely lad.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Isn't house training the same no matter whether they are entire or not?

We grew up with mostly male dogs (all entire - desexing wasn't the in thing back then) and never had any issues with them marking inside a house.

All my dogs as an adult have been male but all neutered - I just house train all my dogs. The foster dogs pick it up pretty quick as well (house training).

I had an entire male staffy live inside with us for 15 years. Never had a problem with him having an accident in the house until he was very old and suffering dementia, occasionally then he would forget and lift his leg :( Poor old darling.

If you start as a puppy then I think it would be fine.

With an adult male dog, there is pretty much no hope and I've had countless undesexed male fosters through my home in 15 years - until I could get them to a vet I've attempted to housetrain them without success.

I've rescued an entire male dog this year who was already housetrained to my surprise and my first ever dog in the UK was entire when we adopted him from the owner who'd had him since he was a puppy, he was also housetrained.

Don't have the bitches in season complication (my girl is desexed), but my entire boy has not been a problem .. came to me at 10 weeks and lives in the house .. and when we travel, we stay in dogs inside dog friendly accommodation.. He's nearly 6.

Yes, have had 2 entire male Great Danes live inside.

No, I never had problems toilet training them, usually done by 11 weeks. Your toilet training is done before they are sexually mature so they have no reason to mark in the house as babies.

Neither of them ever marked inside the house.

1 would toilet appropriately only in the yard. The other one lifts his leg on stuff I wish he wouldn't such as chair legs (outside), the BBQ etc.

Edited by sas

I have a 17 months old entire Cocker Spaniel that spends alot of time inside. We got him at 10 weeks and he toilet trained quickly.

He is a very clean dog in the house, never marks and is a pleasure to live with, a truly beautiful boy. He has not been used as a stud dog.

Isn't house training the same no matter whether they are entire or not?

We grew up with mostly male dogs (all entire - desexing wasn't the in thing back then) and never had any issues with them marking inside a house.

All my dogs as an adult have been male but all neutered - I just house train all my dogs. The foster dogs pick it up pretty quick as well (house training).

This was my experience too, although I do remember our entire dog then going to a neighbours house and cocking his leg on their telly! We were kids and never said a word. :shhh:

We never had any problems with our entire male Golden Retrievers - had two for many years and several girls who were entire. However, our little Yorkshire Terrier boy has to wear a belly band because, try as hard as we can, we just can't get him to stop lifting his leg inside. And none of our Yorkie girls are entire so it is just a territory marking exercise I think.

Edited by Furkidsforever

Never had a problem - even with multiple males, bitches in season, strange dogs/bitches coming in. House training is house training IMO.

I have found that dogs are easier to housetrain than bitches as puppies. When they get to the age that it becomes marking rather than just urinating (i.e. leg cocking age) they usually try it in the house but one attempt is all they make here - one of the few times they'll get a right bullocking. Never had a repeat offender :crossfingers:

I have three entire males that live inside. Two have been used at stud, and all have been around when my bitch has been in season. They do not pee inside and were no harder to house train than the bitches I have.

I am interested to get some feedback on having an entire male dog inside your house.

How hard was he to toilet train & how reliable is he?

Does he lift his leg on the furniture & do you find little accidents around the place?

As a breeder I have only ever had bitches as a house dog and never let my stud dogs in the house unsupervised.

I am now contemplating keeping a male puppy and would like to have his companionship.

He is just starting to get the hang of toileting outside.

10 month old entire male as well as a 14 year old entire male here, Stitch.

The older male is the perfect dog. ( I kid you not). Only place he ever marked was the brand new white sofa of my SIL when he was much younger. He had one poop accident as a puppy. No problems at all for all the years he lived with his desexed brother who crossed to The Bridge last year. When he did stud duties, he was almost bashful with the bitches.

This pair of Vizslas were so clean to live with right from puppyhood.

Puppy is a work in progress. He has had two incidents. That was because his Daddy misread his signals. Luckily he came in January so the nights were warm to do the training.

Hope this helps.

:)

Entire 16month old male here. He's currently going through the above "cocking rage", and wants to pee on everything during walks. But never had a problem in the house. He amazed me with toilet training actually. After 2 days being home at 8 weeks he was taking himself to the door to go out to toilet, and the few accidents he ever had was my fault.

I do have a friend with an early desexed male who is fine at his own house, but cocks his leg at other peoples houses on furniture. But they don't really do anything to teach him not too icon_smile_mad.gif

Two entire males. One is 11 months, the other is 5. The 5 year old has sired quite a few litters. They mix with each other. We also have in season bitches in the house. Not sure what will happen after the younger dog has had a bitch. :confused: Face it when it happens, I guess

Both are totally trustworthy in the house and neither lifts his leg on the outside of the house or the porch. Training is your friend :)

Edited by Jed