Runny Stools

Aloadofbull

Hi I am just after some advice. I have a puppy who has just turned nine weeks and on the weekend he was diagnosed with gastro. He is on a course of antibiotics and his stools are still soft and slimy. I have him on boiled chicken only and are wondering if the antibiotics would affect the stools and when I should see them firm up?

Any help would be great.

The antibiotics would be affecting his gut. My girl had gastro when she was little and was on chicken and rice for about a week. Don't re-introduce other foods too quickly or in too large an amount, do it slowly. He may also benefit from some yoghurt/probiotics in his food when he can cope with it to restabilise gut bacteria. I can't remember when the poo returned to normal, but I have found that since then she does have a tendancy to get soft poos pretty easily with food changes, rich food, eating strange stuff.

With the chicken you must also have the rice, the starch in the rice helps to bind the problem up, I cut up chicken fillet into cubes and add a 1/4 cup of rice, cook together on low heat and just stir every now and again, cook until the rice has absorbed all the water.

I give a half of pro biotic capsule, for a baby, you have to open it up and scrape out half give that to your baby in a smidge of honey, honey is also something that helps with the stomach flora, give this to your puppy in conjunction with the chicken and rice, do not re introduce kibble until the problem is fixed. Can take up to five days.