Advice And Opinions Please

chaostheory

Hi guys!

New to the forum and have a couple of questions. Have been doing some research and really just want to to let you know about my lifestyle to get some feedback about whether a dog is right for me and if so what breed might suit.

When I was younger my family owned a mini foxie and maltese jack russell cross (we lived in the country and they were very much outdoor dogs, and we were very laid-back about raising them). I'm currently living in a unit in inner city Melbourne, and have been thinking for the past year that I would like to have another dog. However I don't have any experience in owning a dog without a fenced yard (the block has a shared yard with no fence). Is it doable? Or cruel? I own the property so landlords aren't an issue. I also live two minutes from a dog park on the yarra, where I walk often. I work from home most of the week and also do three 4 hours shifts in retail a week). In terms of a dog I am looking at something medium sized and low to moderately active, friendly and sociable that could tag along with me during the week. I love the look of spaniels and so have been thinking that a cocker spaniel might be a good match? I think red setters and brittany spaniels are beautiful but too active for a unit environment. I have two friends who have a king charles and a boston terrier in apartments but I think I would prefer something a little bigger.

Thanks for reading, I'd be looking to get a dog in about a years time (still early days I want to do it properly)..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Cockers aren't always the best off lead. Nose down and they can go deaf on you! Maybe look at adopting a young adult that has been in a home environment, so you don't have puppy dramas. Other breeds that spring to mind are the right young adult Golden Retriever , or a retired greyhound from an org. like GAP. Dont quote me but I have met Welsh Springers that are quite placid and less energetic than expected.

If you own the place could you fence of even a small area within the shared area. Not neccisarily to leave the dog in, but like a tiny private off lead place for midnight toilet or a quick throw the ball break during the day

Its doable and great that you are thinking about it properly.

Edited by GrufLife

Is it doable without a fence yard yes BUT it will be a life time commitment to fill its needs every single day of the year no matter what .

The dog will become a big priority due to not having a yard to go into so you will need to decide on toilet training & happiness to sit around until your ready to take it out ,the varying weather conditions through the year that will still means dog must get out & about no matter what .

I read your situation & think Cat would be better

I have three dogs. When I first got each of them I did have a yard and they had a dog door so had access in and outside. Through life circumstances we currently don't have a yard. Like you, I'm in a unit with a shared, unfenced yard. Due to the layout I have been able to fence off a small concrete patio area so they can go outside when I'm home but it isn't secure enough to give them access when I'm not monitoring so they are shut inside whenever I'm out and overnight.

It isn't ideal but it's manageable however it means almost all of my spare time is committed to them. Admittedly the younger two are working breeds (Sheltie and Aussie Shepherd) so need more exercise than toy breeds (ETA a Cocker is of course also a working breed) so my ideal with them is a 30 min walk in the morning, an hour min. off lead run at our local fenced park in the evening and with me pottering around the rest of the time. Even with that they can be destructive when entertaining themselves when I'm out so being house proud is out and leaving them with appropriate things to destroy when I leave them, as well as a clean up every time I come home is essential.

However it is doable, they are happy and healthy and for me it's well worth it.

Having said all that, my oldest dog, a now 5 year old poodle x Maltese on his own could quite happily have grown up in and still be living in an apartment as long as he had me for company as much as possible outside of work and had a walk and exposure to new interesting things for mental stimulation at least 4 or 5 times a week.

I reckon it would be perfectly do-able with a Cocker as long as were up front with the breeder about your circumstances and willing to wait for a suitable individual, and of course are willing to make the lifelong commitment to give it what it needed. For me it's a case of I NEED to have a dog so I will do what I have to to make it work.

The good thing about an owner living in an apartment is that you don't have the option of leaving the dog in the backyard on its own so regardless of all the other aspects at least there is a much better chance of ensuring the dog gets to spend lots of time with its owner :)

Edited by Simply Grand

When we got our first two greys, we lived in a rented townhouse with a yard that we couldn't use for security reasons so both were indoors or outside with me on leashes. Now in our own house our four are indoors when I'm out and outside only if I'm there because of issues with prey drive and problems with neighbourhood cats. And two get very excited and have resulted in vet bills hurting each other.

It takes a lot of commitment but it can be done. Ours get two to three walks a day. The morning walk is 45 minutes to an hour. Turn out or quick potty walk after breakfast. Turn out when I get home. Leash walk 20-30 minutes. Potty walk before bed. I can do this because they are all adults and mostly bone idle. Or, more nicely, they take retirement from racing very seriously! But when the first two first arrived, they were 20 months old. It was a lot more walking and training just to tire them out. But again, the right breed means that wasn't as difficult.

I think a dog could definitely work in your situation, but it's a massive commitment. For me personally, my dogs are what I structure my life around. And I don't have so working breed. I don't because my life and work don't allow for that kind of stimulation. One day, hopefully. So,for you, the right breed and the right dog (I'm looking at my boys here who would adore the life you're suggesting but not so much the girls) would be fine.

Having lived in a unit with a dog, I wouldn't do it again. It was a huge commitment timewise with 3 walks a day (I worked near home and went each lunchtime as the dog couldn't hold on).

I'd tried a cat but got the wrong one, it did put me off having another cat even though I grew up with them. This one kept escaping from the unit - he really wasn't happy and didn't adjust so for his own safety, I returned him to the shelter and he found another home with a family in a house. I should just say that I volunteered at the shelter and hadn't even been looking for a cat, they wanted me to give it a try.

Back to the dog, he never seemed very happy in the unit either, he had separation anxiety and toileted everywhere, the minute I left his sight.

If I was to move back into a unit and want to have a dog, I'd need a huge balcony that was safe and with space for a doggie toilet so that if I had to work late or got caught up somehow, I wouldn't be stressing. Going home every lunchtime isn't an option these days.

I have rehomed dogs to units but it's easier if there is more than one owner and in other cases, the owners have paid for a dog walker to come in.

I think it's doable if you're committed. I live in a house with a (small) fenced garden, and my dog barely goes outside at home, only to go to the toilet! If the door is open she still chooses to stay inside on the couch or on my bed. We walk a lot though, go to the beach or forest during the day, or go tracking during the day... and have training classes most evenings. I'm lucky enough to have a job that lets me do those things.

Depending on how far away your yard is, having a puppy could be difficult, being able to just open the door and let the puppy outside to toilet is a nice luxury! If you're having to put shoes on, grab a lead, grab a poo bag, grab a torch... Every half hour in the evening, even in the rain, that could get old quick!

Edited by DiscoDobe

Cheers for the replies, given me a bit to think about as they're pretty mixed. Sadly fencing off part of the yard would be a no. :( But my door does open directly onto the yard.

I'm a bit torn, I think a smaller low energy companion dog could work in the unit but then I think would like to wait until I'm in a situation with a backyard to have a large more active dog that I could take hiking etc.

The thought of taking a dog outside frequently for toilet trips does not stress me out greatly as am home most of the time.

I have had a cat before but find their personalities can be a bit hit and miss (also you can't walk them without looking a bit nuts).. I think we lucked out with our cat, what I liked most about her was that she played fetch and was super affectionate...like a dog!

It can work if you have plenty of time to be with the dog and will do twice a day outings for exercise training and play time.

I had a neighbour with 2 Weimaraners in a unit with a tiny court yard.He made it work by putting the time in to keep them happy.

I think a Hungarian Vizsla may suit your situation .Talk to some breeders; they will help to find the right one for you.

If the pups have been raised around cats and other pets that would be a bonus.

Make sure you teach good recall;some formal training would be good idea and get the dog used to meeting other dogs and cats.

efs

Edited by Purdie

I think you can do if, like everyone has said, you are happy to put the time in and you make sure you chat to a lot of breeders and find the right dog for you. I second the recommendations to adopt/buy an adult dog, I think this would make things a lot easier. As an example, we have two young adult labradors that we bought from a reputable breeder when they were around 2yrs old. They already had nice manners, basic obedience, calm friendly temperaments, don't destroy stuff and make the perfect house dogs (if you are happy to vacuum everyday lol). They fit into our lifestyle perfectly and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

We also wanted a breed that loves retrieving as this makes it easy to have a quick but tiring session at the park if we are pushed for time. We live in a small semi with a little courtyard but I am home quite a lot. The dogs love just being inside with me plus their morning and afternoon walks or play at the park. On weekends they usually get a decent all-day trip to the beach, river etc. They toilet on command and last all day or night inside with no problems. They are actually loads easier to keep happy than one of our cats that is always bored and scratching/meowing to go in/out/in/out...! Obviously not all labradors would be suitable for this situation (!) but we kept an eye on the Mature dogs page, had a few breeds we liked and waited until we found the right breeder and dogs for us. Good luck :)

it is doable - however , 7 days every week , it is your responsibilty to accompany the dog outside for training, toileting & exercise . Your unit needs to be safe - any barking ,etc will need to be addressed ,and it is a whole new lifestyle ;)

If you can't fence any of your yard I wouldn't get a dog at all.

Your situation is fine, especially working from home, but every time the dog needs to go to the toilet you will have to put it on a lead & take it outside & wait.

Alternative is to get a toy breed like maltese, yorkie or chihuahua & train it to go on a small fake grass dog loo. Wouldn't try that with a bigger dog though.

Absolutely doable!

I'm always amused at the Aussie attitude that dogs need a backyard... Coming from Europe where apartment living is much more common, and dogs are well adjusted and used to city living.

I live in a small terrace in Sydney with a cat, a small terrier cross and a cocker spaniel and they all live indoors. 45 to 60 minutes walk in the morning, another one late afternoon and a toilet break before bed time and they all cope fine. My spaniel needs more mental stimulation than anything (loves training, doing tricks, nose work etc) and provided their needs are met, I see no issue with your living situation. I know of a few other cockers in the area who live in apartments, and many other breeds too. Most people in my area have their dogs indoors too, and I believe a dog left in a backyard in a highly urbanised environment could easily become problem barkers (high level of stimulation, passer by, construction noises etc)

As a side to this thread, I reckon if I ever had to live in an apartment with no yard, my pet of choice would be a giant breed rabbit!

I had a dwarf lop during my apartment days. :D personally I'd rather pick up dog poo in the backyard than have to clean out a rabbit cage on a regular basis :vomit:

Consider a breed that's known to have cat-like self-possession ... so very suited to in-house living. Tibetan Spaniel. And look for an adult where that personality shows & has mellowed.

By coincidence, a NSW breeder (whom I consider a 'go to' person for how he raises this type of Tib), has one currently available. Described as 'a sweet natured and charming adult sable girl. Housetrained. Likes nothing else than to curl up on the bed with you.' Pic and details here:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/tibetan-spaniel.asp

Or you could enquire, in Victoria, from the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria.

Edited by mita

haha guys I'm now more confused than ever! Some people say no, others recommending large breed dogs :eek:

as per a recommendation I think fostering a dog or dog sitting for a while next year might be a good idea.

Would love to hear from people who are currently keeping dogs in apartments or units.

I must admit still keen for the cockers...

p.s i've heard indoor bunnies can be more destructive than any dog, so much chewing and bunny proofing!

Lots of dogs live in apartments in cities like New York. Two American dog trainers wrote a great book on how to do it. I've got this book out of our local library & it's excellent. 'Metro Dog: Essential Guide to Raising your Dog in the City.'

http://www.amazon.com/Metrodog-Essential-Guide-Raising-Your/dp/0446679186

Edited by mita

haha guys I'm now more confused than ever! Some people say no, others recommending large breed dogs :eek:

I think you have what it takes to do this successfully. And while I would never sell you a greyhound puppy or youngster, an older greyhound would be very happy as long as it was walked twice a day.

I also think you should go an older dog whatever the breed. They are more settled usually and you know what you are getting.