Advice And Opinions Please

chaostheory

Sometimes I wonder whether some of these instances are not so much dogs being stolen from yards, but dogs getting out and then being found by people who choose to keep them (or choose to keep them after making only half-hearted attempts at finding their owners).

I say this because I have actually come across a lot of people who have actually done this, and I was speaking to a vet nurse who has also heard this story many times.

I also notice how often parcel delivery people leave gates open while they deliver the parcel. A dog across the road from us got out this way just last week.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gumnuts spent the day inside with outside access, they prefer outside, and not even on their beds outside... Gus likes to be a hobo dog and sleep on the concrete pavers and give himself gross scaly elbows.

We live in Western burbs of Melbourne, I have to say them being stolen doesn't often cross my mind, albeit totally possible, we have a lovely little cul de sac, padlocks and chains on the gate and they have enough bark to make people think he might not be worth taking on, even though he just wants to come out and play. If we got broken into he would help them out with the TV.

The alternative of leaving them both inside while we work wouldn't be possible, they are big, young dogs who run around, steal things and chew things to oblivion. The house would be trashed and they would be raring to go when we got home, as opposed to expelling some energy wrestling and running around like dingbats.

If they were little or older the story would be different, but it works for us for now. Fingers crossed we never run into trouble.

Sometimes I wonder whether some of these instances are not so much dogs being stolen from yards, but dogs getting out and then being found by people who choose to keep them (or choose to keep them after making only half-hearted attempts at finding their owners).

A fair comment, raineth.

But in the NW Brisbane case where the police issued a warning to residents, they had evidence & witnesses that a group of people were involved.

Since then, I've erred on the side of caution. Our tibbies are never in the front yard. Only in the backyard (with side fences & solid boundary fencing) when we're home. When we're out, they're on a locked verandah deck (access into house) with access via a doggie door to a small purpose built high fenced, locked courtyard, for toileting. We share this with neighbours' tibbie. If they're out for the day, she comes to join ours.

Edited by mita

A fair comment, raineth.

But in the NW Brisbane case where the police issued a warning to residents, they had evidence & witnesses that a group of people were involved.

Since then, I've erred on the side of caution. Our tibbies are never in the front yard. Only in the backyard (with side fences & solid boundary fencing) when we're home. When we're out, they're on a locked verandah deck (access into house) with access via a doggie door to a small purpose built high fenced, locked courtyard, for toileting. We share this with neighbours' tibbie. If they're out for the day, she comes to join ours.

Some years back, there was a group going around Fairfield, Cabramatta,Canley Heights doing this same thing. Local Police also gave a warning to residents. I worked with someone whose Maltese Terrier was taken. Luckily, he was returned home.

Group was targeting 'obtainable' & easy to handle dogs.

:cry:

Thanks guys, I think at this point he will stay indoors when home alone. Reasons being I don't know this new area too well and I know how 'trendy' small brachy breeds are. My family originally from the country where our dogs were kept outside all day but they weren't the cutest scruffers (to an outsider) and would bark their heads off if anyone walked by. New puppy is very quiet little guy and would run straight into the arms of a stranger.

I'd be very wary to leave a small dog outside inner city. I've seen quite a few drug addled creepers that loiter around residential streets, would make me very paranoid.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The smooths are just the best, I love their facial features and the looks they have. He is so photogenic! How much does he weigh?

Last time we were at the vet he was about 4.2kg

I would love to get him a friend, maybe in another year or so.. :thumbsup: