Advice And Opinions Please

chaostheory

I wasn't necessarily recommending a large breed like a labrador, just saying that many things are possible if you are committed :)

I do have a friend with two retired racing greyhounds in an apartment and like Rebanne said, I often think they are a really great choice for smaller spaces. Actually IMO there are quite a few low-energy larger dogs/breeds that could be just as, if not more suitable for an apartment, than many highly active small breeds.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog is essentially an apartment dog, I live in a townhouse with a garden for a backyard but she isn't allowed out there as she eats the bark and chews on the onion grass that is almost impossible to control which makes her sick.

She is 100% toilet trained, she goes on her doggy toilet which is fantastic as it only has to be cleaned every 2nd or 3rd day but I pick up the poos straight away. It has worked really well for us, she gets one walk a day and free run time at a field near us. I would recommend a toy breed (mine is a griffon bruxellois smooth). She really doesn't seem to mind not having a backyard and it's so handy having her trained to a dog toilet.

If you like cockers go for the cocker.

I think there are many breeds of dogs that would suit your circumstances and cocker spaniels are just one that would thrive in an environment where they get to spend most of the day with you, and when you are out they'll just find the spot that smells like you the most and curl up on it.

A couple of extra points about cockers so you know what you are getting into.

- they have a flair for the dramatic... brushing, clipping toe nails and even when they scratch themselves all tend to come with lots of whining but you eventually work out when they are being serious and when they are being a PITA

- they are extremely food motivated which is great for training and like Gruf said earlier their recall leaves a bit to be desired but if they know you have food it will be a lot more reliable

- as I mentioned before they like to be near you or if that is not an option near your smell, so unless you want them rifling through your dirty laundry keep it out of reach

- when it comes to training and what the dog is not allowed to do, if you give them an inch they will take a mile, allow them on your bed once or twice and as far as they are concerned they can hop up whenever they want

but if you can live with all of that then good luck with your search :)

My large breed puppy (nearing 45kg) has been fine with a tiny yard with only a small patch of grass. She only goes outside to do her business or have a bone and sometimes to sunbathe when the weather's nice. She is a low maintenance dog who gets a 45 min romp at an offlead reserve which has her worn out until the evening which then I'll either take her for a quick spin around the block or do some training or play tug. She can be left inside while I'm at uni, the bigger the dog the bigger the bladder but if I am going for a full day and the weather's nice I prefer to leave her outside so I know she won't be in discomfort (she refuses to go inside even if she has diarrhea).

I don't know if I would be willing to downgrade to no yard at all just because I know Didi likes lying out in the sun and playing with her toys and that it'd be a lot more work and hassle for me but I'm sure if I'd started off with Didi in your situation that we wouldn't have known any different and would've made it work, especially since she's the type of dog who can do fine without a huge yard. There are times when I think it'd be nice to step outside and run around and play with her and throw the ball or let her do zoomies without worrying she'll wipe herself out and get hurt in our tiny yard but it has not significantly impacted owning her.

Your situation sounds doable and you sound very aware that your situation comes with some limitations and that you're willing to cater for them :) Just really think it through, thoroughly research different breeds you like, talk to some breeders as they will know if they think their breed or particular dogs could work. The idea of fostering for a bit or dogsitting sounds like a good as it will show you if it's something you can handle doing in the long term or whether it might be too hard.

Also I know you can't fence off an area but if you wanted your dog to safely wander around the yard a bit to stretch its legs and get some fresh air you could always sit outside with a book or a cup of tea and have the dog on a long lead so the dog is afforded a bit more freedom than a normal lead but still adequately restrained and supervised.

Edited by Terri S.

Just adding, I have a little indoor dog toilet, just a cheap one from the reject shop. It works well, they choose to go on it over the hard floor. It does get smelly though so I take it straight outside to rinse and air when I get home. That's with two dogs using it though and one is 21kgs so produces more than a smaller dog obviously. A better quality dog toilet might keep the smell down better too. I'd definitely invest in one if I had no outdoor area.

My oldest one, the poodle x, is in a separate area from the other two and he holds on all day and just goes straight out when I get home. He is fine to go out onto the shared grass area off lead (it's at the back of the house so away from the road), I either go out with him or stand at the door and watch him then he comes back in. If he happens to need to go while I'm not home he goes to a spot on the tiles and goes there and i just clean it up but generally he holds. If he needs to go out while I'm home he stands near the door and either whines or just watches me until I notice him :laugh:

As Terri suggested too I sometimes put the others on a long lead, just one of the extender ones (which only ise for that, not walking) and take them out to the grass for a wander around.

My sister had a rabbit that was mostly indoors and yep, he caused more destruction than the dogs :)

I think many dogs would cope fine in your situation.

If you can commit to 2 daily walks and perhaps get a dog walker or look into doggy daycare on the days you work, then most dogs would be happy with that.

Most dogs just want to be with their owners.

haha guys I'm now more confused than ever! Some people say no, others recommending large breed dogs :eek:

I think you have what it takes to do this successfully. And while I would never sell you a greyhound puppy or youngster, an older greyhound would be very happy as long as it was walked twice a day.

I also think you should go an older dog whatever the breed. They are more settled usually and you know what you are getting.

I agree with Rebanne.

You could also try fostering with a reputable greyhound rescue group to see how you go. I know GAPVIC have homed greys to inner city Melbourne apartments.

Greyhounds have no smell so make great inside pets, most ex racing greys are used to set toilet breaks and they sleep....a lot :p

My Labrador grew up in an apartment until he was about 7 months old. We had a balcony but that was all so it took a lot of time and dedication to make it work but we managed it fairly well.

A good friend of mine in Finland has three Samoyeds that live in a small one bedroom flat with a tiny (and I really mean tiny, like most peoples balcony's would be bigger kind of tiny) garden and they are absolutely fine. She walks them three to four times a day, as well as a big off lead run every week at the dog park, so her social life is totally worked around the dogs but they're very happy, calm, lovely dogs and she's happy as well.

It takes a lot of work and dedication and yes, having a backyard is SO much easier (realised how much I took my yard for granted after getting back to Australia lol) but it can be done and your dog can be just as happy as a dog with a yard.

Guest crazydoglady99

When i adopted my little white fluffy many years ago, i lived in an apartment with no yard. I worked night shift, so slept during the day. My dog was 5yrs old when i adopted her, i walked her for 45mins~1hour morning and evening, plus toilet stops whenever required. It worked perfectly for the 12months we did it (her age helped).

Good luck!

(we have pet bunnies too.. omg, i would prefer to clean up after a dog than a bunny.. and as a result our bunnies now free range in the backyard!!)

its definitely doable. I don't know what people are on about when they are saying that its a pain to take them out to the toilet. They would need that in a house anyways. So thats not an issue.

I have 3 cavaliers, they would fit perfectly into this situation. Mine do not really go outside. We have a yard, and they do not use it at all. They are inside when we are home, and on the deck sleeping when we are out! Just a few steps onto the grass to toilet but even then its always close to the steps haha

Also, do not let their small size deter you. They are still dogs. Mine go hiking often, swimming in the pool, beaches and lakes, one comes jogging, i do agility with 2 etc. All that a working dog can do. BUT they wont destroy the house if i cant walk them for a day or two. Its pushing it leaving it longer, but has been done and with some indoor fetching and tug we survived happily- All smiles and wags!

Cocker spaniels are larger and slightly more of the working type dog. However i have met some downright lazy cockers (usually the chubbier side of the scale though so maybe why :laugh: )

You can always pen off an area indoors when you go out to prevent furniture eating etc. Leave with food interactive toys and cardboard to shred instead.

( I only read the first page, so if others have covered this, sorry. )

ETA: There will always be different opinions. In the end it comes down to what you are comfortable with doing and how committed you are to dog ownership :)

Greyhounds, though large are very content with lazing around all day.

Edited by denali

its definitely doable. I don't know what people are on about when they are saying that its a pain to take them out to the toilet. They would need that in a house anyways. So thats not an issue.

I have 3 cavaliers, they would fit perfectly into this situation. Mine do not really go outside. We have a yard, and they do not use it at all. They are inside when we are home, and on the deck sleeping when we are out! Just a few steps onto the grass to toilet but even then its always close to the steps haha

Also, do not let their small size deter you. They are still dogs. Mine go hiking often, swimming in the pool, beaches and lakes, one comes jogging, i do agility with 2 etc. All that a working dog can do. BUT they wont destroy the house if i cant walk them for a day or two. Its pushing it leaving it longer, but has been done and with some indoor fetching and tug we survived happily- All smiles and wags!

Cocker spaniels are larger and slightly more of the working type dog. However i have met some downright lazy cockers (usually the chubbier side of the scale though so maybe why :laugh: )

You can always pen off an area indoors when you go out to prevent furniture eating etc. Leave with food interactive toys and cardboard to shred instead.

because with a house with a fenced yard you can let the dog out and go back inside and continue doing what you were doing. Or if you have a doggie door, you don't even have to do that. In a house without a fenced yard you have to put them on lead and then wait around while they go :) so it does definitely require more commitment. Especially if you have an oldie that needs to go multiple times overnight in the middle of winter.

Thanks for the info guys! I tried to quote everyone but the post looked massive. It's good to hear stories about dogs in small spaces. I was actually thinking today that on my street there are two town houses (a little bigger than my place but still with no yard) that have a pair of little white fluffy dogs westies possibly and the other a rough collie. I often see the collie being walked at the dog park in the arvo and in the early morning. I suppose people in Melb make it work, must just depend on the individual dog and person.

I wasn't necessarily recommending a large breed like a labrador, just saying that many things are possible if you are committed :) I do have a friend with two retired racing greyhounds in an apartment and like Rebanne said, I often think they are a really great choice for smaller spaces. Actually IMO there are quite a few low-energy larger dogs/breeds that could be just as, if not more suitable for an apartment, than many highly active small breeds.

:) I've heard before that greyhounds are like couch potatoes but it always shocks me due to their size. I'm not sure how I'd go with a big dog, as having never owned one I find them a little bit intimidating and I'm not really sure how to handle them. I watched my uncles great dane for a day a while back and it was a beautiful lazy thing and super gentle but I still skitted around it and watched him like a hawk when he was inside lol.

If you like cockers go for the cocker.I think there are many breeds of dogs that would suit your circumstances and cocker spaniels are just one that would thrive in an environment where they get to spend most of the day with you, and when you are out they'll just find the spot that smells like you the most and curl up on it.A couple of extra points about cockers so you know what you are getting into.- they have a flair for the dramatic... brushing, clipping toe nails and even when they scratch themselves all tend to come with lots of whining but you eventually work out when they are being serious and when they are being a PITA- they are extremely food motivated which is great for training and like Gruf said earlier their recall leaves a bit to be desired but if they know you have food it will be a lot more reliable- as I mentioned before they like to be near you or if that is not an option near your smell, so unless you want them rifling through your dirty laundry keep it out of reach- when it comes to training and what the dog is not allowed to do, if you give them an inch they will take a mile, allow them on your bed once or twice and as far as they are concerned they can hop up whenever they wantbut if you can live with all of that then good luck with your search :)

cheers! imo that all sounds adorable.. but will keep an open mind. The recall thing could be an issue as nearest dog park is unfenced as is yard. Neither are on a main road though.

My large breed puppy (nearing 45kg) has been fine with a tiny yard with only a small patch of grass. She only goes outside to do her business or have a bone and sometimes to sunbathe when the weather's nice. She is a low maintenance dog who gets a 45 min romp at an offlead reserve which has her worn out until the evening which then I'll either take her for a quick spin around the block or do some training or play tug. She can be left inside while I'm at uni, the bigger the dog the bigger the bladder but if I am going for a full day and the weather's nice I prefer to leave her outside so I know she won't be in discomfort (she refuses to go inside even if she has diarrhea). I don't know if I would be willing to downgrade to no yard at all just because I know Didi likes lying out in the sun and playing with her toys and that it'd be a lot more work and hassle for me but I'm sure if I'd started off with Didi in your situation that we wouldn't have known any different and would've made it work, especially since she's the type of dog who can do fine without a huge yard. There are times when I think it'd be nice to step outside and run around and play with her and throw the ball or let her do zoomies without worrying she'll wipe herself out and get hurt in our tiny yard but it has not significantly impacted owning her.Your situation sounds doable and you sound very aware that your situation comes with some limitations and that you're willing to cater for them :) Just really think it through, thoroughly research different breeds you like, talk to some breeders as they will know if they think their breed or particular dogs could work. The idea of fostering for a bit or dogsitting sounds like a good as it will show you if it's something you can handle doing in the long term or whether it might be too hard.Also I know you can't fence off an area but if you wanted your dog to safely wander around the yard a bit to stretch its legs and get some fresh air you could always sit outside with a book or a cup of tea and have the dog on a long lead so the dog is afforded a bit more freedom than a normal lead but still adequately restrained and supervised.

Thanks for your story, what breed of dog do you have? I have an outdoor table set up outside in the yard so spending supervised time outdoors is definitely doable. Ultimately I do want a sociable velcro dog that I could take with me when I go out for lunch/coffee, visit friends and family etc. Possibly attend some agility classes with a friend and just hang out with me on the couch and in the home office.

Thanks again guys, I love forums, will continue to keep this thread for questions and what not while I keep researching. Hard as it is I like to make myself wait for a year before making big life decisions.

p.s doggie toilet? never realised this was a thing, but I'll look into it.. I'm picturing a mini human toilet. :) :)

Hey! Cavaliers are definitely on my list but had maybe over looked them thinking they would just want to sleep all day.. Are they yappy? The unit has carpeted rooms and hard floors throughout the rest. The plan would be to close room doors so no chance to pee on carpet (at least initially) and leave dog with free run of rest of the unit when I'm not home. Taking dogs walking doesn't bother me, better I spend that hour and a half walking than watching tv haha. Might cancel my gym membership.

I would also take into account that training to also not be dependent on you is just as important.

Your dog will be with you 24/7 & reliant on you for all activities ,some dogs will them happily accept you have left for a few hrs others will have a total melt down .

Be careful what you wish for in a "velcro" dog ,this can come with giant pitfalls in a living style such as yours & then require even more effort to retrain & be an enjoyable pet

The Cavie i owned certainly didn't sleep all day they are a sporting spaniel & shouldn't be lazy,they are bright & like to use the brain ,they can snore up a storm & shed coat like crazy

Thanks for your story, what breed of dog do you have? I have an outdoor table set up outside in the yard so spending supervised time outdoors is definitely doable. Ultimately I do want a sociable velcro dog that I could take with me when I go out for lunch/coffee, visit friends and family etc. Possibly attend some agility classes with a friend and just hang out with me on the couch and in the home office.

Thanks again guys, I love forums, will continue to keep this thread for questions and what not while I keep researching. Hard as it is I like to make myself wait for a year before making big life decisions.

p.s doggie toilet? never realised this was a thing, but I'll look into it.. I'm picturing a mini human toilet. :) :)

She's a mutt, mainly of Great Dane/Mastiff origins with a splash of pointer or lab. I was very unsure once I found out how large she'd get about bringing her home but I got to meet her mum (she was dumped at the pound pregnant and was in foster care with her puppies) and she was such a gentle and laid back girl, a real couch potato and her and the other puppies definitely inherited it. While she'd suit your living situation, there is a lot of dog to handle, especially in an inner city context as you really need them to be totally solid and bombproof temperament and training wise otherwise there's a lot more potential for things to go wrong than a smaller dog so I'd advise against it if you're really not confident in managing a large dog. Also while she is happy to lie at my feet for coffee or lunch I've found a lot of places in Melbourne are way too cramped for her to be there and not be in anybody's way due to her size and need to spread out. Melbourne is pretty dog friendly though, so leading that sort of life where you're dog comes with you is definitely easy and enjoyable to do.

Edited by Terri S.

Hey! Cavaliers are definitely on my list but had maybe over looked them thinking they would just want to sleep all day.. Are they yappy? The unit has carpeted rooms and hard floors throughout the rest. The plan would be to close room doors so no chance to pee on carpet (at least initially) and leave dog with free run of rest of the unit when I'm not home. Taking dogs walking doesn't bother me, better I spend that hour and a half walking than watching tv haha. Might cancel my gym membership.

I would not say they are yappy at all, in the 4 i have owned only one of them really barks, and thats at the postman and his dinner bowl while im carrying it haha

They are happy to sleep if thats what you are doing, but they pretty much just follow you around, up when you are, sleeping when you're busy. Then always ready to go for walks haha

And i have never had an issue with seperation anxiety in my boys, yes i have 3 now, but i had two who were single dogs. Anzac was an only dog his entire life- alone 9/10-3 most days and he was fine. Kokoda was an only dog for 2.5 years and the same- no issues. Henry did have issues at first (he was a rescue dog) but now he has settled in to having canine friends and doesn't cry about me anymore :laugh:

That sounds like the perfect plan re. rooms and carpet. And i got rid of my gym membership too :D Mind you, i didn't use it that much to begin with :o

Also post underneath said they shed like crazy, only one of mine really sheds.

I brush them once a week, and some loose hairs ocme out but that keeps vacuuming down to virtually never. Feeidng a good food high in omega oils also helps with this.

My heavier shedder, Henry, I keep clipped, but even then my cat sheds more than my three dogs and he's shorthaired :laugh:

Edited by denali

Is it doable without a fence yard yes BUT it will be a life time commitment to fill its needs every single day of the year no matter what .

The dog will become a big priority due to not having a yard to go into so you will need to decide on toilet training & happiness to sit around until your ready to take it out ,the varying weather conditions through the year that will still means dog must get out & about no matter what .

I read your situation & think Cat would be better

I agree with this, it may be doable but its really not ideal.

When I lived in the apartment I had an Italian Greyhound - as I mentioned, I walked him 3 times a day and took him downstairs for a bedtime pee.

Problem was he was a weird dog (some Iggies are, they have a lot of quirks and he was no exception).

I'd struggle to get him to pee at bedtime - he'd refuse to go in the gardens of the unit so I'd have to walk him up and down the road.

EVERY NIGHT and I mean every night, he'd get me up in the night at least once and want to go - we'd go up and down the road, he wouldn't rest until he'd been but getting him to go was very difficult.

One night, at 3am, we came across a group of guys coming toward us, I picked him up and ran. The area I lived in wasn't particularly nice and it was after that I decided I couldn't go on. It was then I sold up and moved away from all my friends (I couldn't afford a house in that part of Sydney) and it did change my life - not for the better for many years!

I also think that you need to consider times when you may be unwell with flu, stomach virus etc and getting up and going out then becomes a real killer, almost impossible at times. Thank God I didn't have that happen whilst in the unit but it has certainly happened here however the dogs can thankfully put themselves out the dog door.

I have four greys. My biggest raced set 40 ish kilos as Big Block. He is Costco sized. On the other hand, my little Princess Paige is only 27 kilos and really is a medium sized dog.

I don't know if greys would be right for you and it sounds like you're leaning towards a different breed, but there is a massive variety in shapes and sizes. That said, my big boy is definitely the most laid back of all of mine.

As a side to this thread, I reckon if I ever had to live in an apartment with no yard, my pet of choice would be a giant breed rabbit!

I had a dwarf lop during my apartment days. :D personally I'd rather pick up dog poo in the backyard than have to clean out a rabbit cage on a regular basis :vomit:

Just as well I have a back up plan then. Komodo Dragon it is then.......