Safe Wetter Soil Treatment For The Lawn

Ivory & Beau

We have two sections of lawn. The top section is fenced and the dogs have selected play time as we are growing the grass nice and strong. That section is closest to the house. But the bottom section is theirs to do as they please. So you can imagine the battering it gets from four doggies.

Each Summer the grass dies and it is awful down there but this time I want to treat it with a type of wetter soil and see if I can keep it looking greenish.

I was looking at products yesterday and it came to me, the dogs love eating the grass and I don't know if them eating the treated grass would be harmful? There were "organic" products but I still wasn't sure.

So is there something I can use on the lawn to help it along that won't harm the dogs? Or are the usual products OK to use?

Guest crazydoglady99

I dont have an answer.. but just yesterday I was thinking my lawn needed "something" to help feed it.. We have dogs, chickens and bunnies all nibbling at it ~ so I also thought probably every product would be harmful :(

http://www.fertiworx...ockReviver.aspx

We use the above product on our lawns including the kennel runs - it was developed by a friend of mine to be used on horse paddocks that were still in use so had to be safe to graze on. Aside from being completely safe to use around animals it is also the best lawn fertiliser/repairer we have ever used... we have busy boarding kennels and our yards obviously are high traffic areas so we needed a product that will repair the lawns quickly and encourage healthy growth & repair of the inevitable damaged areas... will attach some recent pics of our lawns coming out of winter (high damage time as the ground is wet + slow growth period) and they have recovered super well!

ETA: The product has just been picked up by Masters so should be available in Masters stores later this month :-D

Edited by Poo-Fong

BC Crazy, we have good old Kikuyu biggrin.gif Yes it's an invasive bugger if you don't stay on top of it (will grow up fences etc) but nothing stands up to the heavy traffic quite like it! So easy to grow back damaged patches, plus you can pull runners from places you don't want and stick them in the places you need it thumbsup1.gif

http://www.fertiworx...ockReviver.aspx

We use the above product on our lawns including the kennel runs - it was developed by a friend of mine to be used on horse paddocks that were still in use so had to be safe to graze on. Aside from being completely safe to use around animals it is also the best lawn fertiliser/repairer we have ever used... we have busy boarding kennels and our yards obviously are high traffic areas so we needed a product that will repair the lawns quickly and encourage healthy growth & repair of the inevitable damaged areas... will attach some recent pics of our lawns coming out of winter (high damage time as the ground is wet + slow growth period) and they have recovered super well!

ETA: The product has just been picked up by Masters so should be available in Masters stores later this month :-D

Thanks for that Poo-Fong. Is it a granule that you sprinkle and water in? Any idea on cost for a 25kg bag? Wish it was in Masters now!

I did buy a spray on product today that by reading it, seems to be safe. But I'm yet to use it on the dog area.

Yep, it is pelletised green waste compost, ideally you water in for 10 mins and then away you go! biggrin.gif It has improved our sandy soil heaps; it now holds water better, grass is thicker and deep green, patchy areas prone to lots of urine burn & wear are now green as well. It improves the root structure of the grass so recovery time is quicker & actual damage is less.

ETA I'm not sure what the cost will be, hang on and I'll ask...

Edited by Poo-Fong