Loving my Oldies

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, an empty plate!!

Hasn't been one since then :cry:

Danny is now down to 5kg and I just don't know what to do. I'll have to go back to syringing, because even when I get all excited thinking I've cracked it, he will stop eating the new food after a couple of meals.

He'll come racing into the kitchen, look up at me with a glowing face, so I'll give him something, he'll sniff at it, walk around it, and then look up at me as though I am the worst person in the world for not understanding what he wants. Whatever, I put down gets the same reaction.

I timed him yesterday when I tried him with a meal of Nature's Gift Groumet. He picked up a piece dropped it on the floor, circled the bowl, sniffed the piece on the floor and picked up another piece and followed the same procedure. He sniffed at the bowl without taking anything out of it for five minutes. Honestly. I turned the stopwatch of my phone on. I also videoed it, but don't know how to put a video up here.

You must have your settings at a small number of posts per page, CavNrott. My computer says 6. But that is neither here not there. :) :)

Danny is on Carafate, Ranitidine and Cisapride. Three times daily for each. Poor little man. The Carafate and Cisapride are alright, but the Ranidine tastes horrible. :cry: :cry:

I've spoken often with my vet about his nauseousness, and while these meds are supposed to help, I guess they don't take that away. He doesn't often throw up any more, though.

Because they were hanging around looking deprived, I decided to give them all an early dinner. I sat at the dining room table mixing two containers of food into one and Danny was jumping up on my legs pawing at me, so put one of the empty containers down for him to lick.

He sniffed and looked up at me. "You are a horrible mother. This is not what I wanted." He started to lick the container only when the others started to push in.

When the food was ready I put a dollop into the container. Would he eat it? No. This was the exact same food that he had been leaping up and pawing my leg to get at.

I ended up putting it into a larger dish, which strangely he seems to prefer and he ate a bit, maybe two tablespoons. Better than nothing :( . I will try him with another food, probably kibble later tonight.

You must have your settings at a small number of posts per page, CavNrott. My computer says 6. But that is neither here not there. :) :)

Danny is on Carafate, Ranitidine and Cisapride. Three times daily for each. Poor little man. The Carafate and Cisapride are alright, but the Ranidine tastes horrible. :cry: :cry:

I've spoken often with my vet about his nauseousness, and while these meds are supposed to help, I guess they don't take that away. He doesn't often throw up any more, though.

Yes I read that he was on those three drugs DDD but none of them prevent or relieve nausea in fact Carafate can actually cause nausea. Nausea will almost certainly affect his appetite.

Each time he refuses a meal adds to your already considerable stress. I would be asking the vet again about medication for nausea and not take no for an answer unless the vet can give you a very good reason why he's not being medicated for nausea. I hope things improve for you.

Been following this and feel sorry for you and Danny, nothing worse than a sick dog :cry:

You mentioned putting the food in a different dish and he ate some. While back I mated my bitch and she just wouldn't eat anything. I know this isn't your situation but thought what I did might work. When I had finished my tea I put Abby's food (just the normal stuff) on my unwashed plate. She didn't eat it all but at least every night got some down which was a relief. Turned out she wasn't pregnant so who knows what the idea was lol. Good luck and I hope the New Year brings lots of improvement.

We once had a dog that literally did go "whacko for Smackos." I always assumed they added some particular aromatic.

Now I have two Flat Coats. They will eat anything, especially if they think the other will get it.

To give them pills, I just make a game of it, and toss it in the air. They will snaffle it without thinking.

Pebbles, as I was reading your post I was just finishing some pizza and Danny was giving me a push now and then, so I decided to finish and give some to him on the same plate. I scraped off the topping and cut the base up - probably amount to 1/2 dozen bite sized pieces. He ate the lot with relish.

I left the plate on the floor and just now tipped out some kibble on it. Wouldn't touch it. :( However, I managed to get him started by holding a piece in his mouth and he eventually ate maybe 15 - 20 kibble. Not even an 1/8 of a cup :( But better than nothing.

Ah ha, people food lol then you insulted him 'dog food' lol. I even went as far as cooking a tasty mince (OH thought it was for him) pretending to eat it then putting the plate down, all gone! Not sure what all Danny can eat but some tricks with what he can have might work. Just have to outsmart the little dears sometimes.

I think that at Danny's case and age, feeding whatever it takes to get him to eat something is fine. Whether it is pizza crust or scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets etc, something in the tum tum is good if he can keep it down.

Most people here will know I am very fastidious with food and nutrition but sometimes we have to lose a battle to win a war and this is why I think is okay for Danny to eat whatever enthuses him :)

Hugs to you, Yonjuro. I have become a bit obsessed about looking at the fat content of food, but I am leaning towards getting him some chicken nuggets as you suggest.

In two months' time, Danny will have been my little mate for thirteen years; as he was estimated to be about 3 at that time he could be going on for 16. Pretty old really. :cry:

So, I think I will start relaxing about fat content. Afterall, his mum carries plenty of it around :D

Hugs to you, Yonjuro. I have become a bit obsessed about looking at the fat content of food, but I am leaning towards getting him some chicken nuggets as you suggest.

In two months' time, Danny will have been my little mate for thirteen years; as he was estimated to be about 3 at that time he could be going on for 16. Pretty old really. :cry:

So, I think I will start relaxing about fat content. Afterall, his mum carries plenty of it around :D

Good on you DDD, I think these very elderly years are the times we can afford to spoil our lovely oldies, its now all about quality of life in my opinion. :)

We once had a dog that literally did go "whacko for Smackos." I always assumed they added some particular aromatic.

Now I have two Flat Coats. They will eat anything, especially if they think the other will get it.

To give them pills, I just make a game of it, and toss it in the air. They will snaffle it without thinking.

We do this with our flat coat too! We play "catch" and Gus literally will hoover the biggest, worst tablets if he thinks it might be something tasty. :laugh:

I love having a silly easy dog!

We do this with our flat coat too! We play "catch" and Gus literally will hoover the biggest, worst tablets if he thinks it might be something tasty. :laugh:

I love having a silly easy dog!

Thank you for sharing. Very appropriate in this thread wherein I have expressed despair and sorrow and trying everything to,help my little dog.