What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

Powerlegs

that description reminds me of something evil my mum used as medicine on us kids - called Kaolin - was as much fun as drinking clay slurry.

she also recommended apples (containing pectin) for settling an upset tummy - my experience was if I could keep an apple down - nothing was wrong. Otherwise it acted as an emetic and then I felt a bit better - even tho I deeply hate throwing up.

DDD

If he liked icecream yesterday but got the tummy wobbles - he's going to remember that when he sniffs the icecream today. Hence me thinking try something completely different (eg rotate through what you offer like toys to keep them novel) something like the beef stock or vegemite tea (no dairy).

Hope the nausea meds stay down and work.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DDD

Someone just posted on another forum that they got their old dog enthusiastic about food again by feeding a dog roll from coles called VIP Gourmet Chicken. The enthusiasm for that one has lasted more than one day. I can't see any good reason for it based on the ingredients but old dog - why not.

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/Gourmet-Chicken-1kg/0,2745,14532,00.html

Might be worth adding to the rotation - freeze what doesn't get eaten in single serve sizes...

Thanks, Mrs RB. I'll give that a try.

I am just so unhappy this morning. The vet said he was happy for Danny to have the Cerenia injections, so I decided I would give the tablet one more try this morning. I dissolved it in a tiny bit of water swished around Gussy Cat's Fancy Feast can which he will sometimes eat. There was no food, just the water slightly flavoured. I syringed it in and he didn't like it at all, whereas the other times he hasn't protested. Watched him like a hawk and followed him downstairs where he started to lick dirt. He has't done that for months and only started it because Myrtie used to do it.

Back upstairs and he promptly threw up.

So off to the vet when they open and I can ring for an appointment.

Today is going to be a tough one as I have literally not been to sleep. Tossed and turned, got up and had a cup of tea at one stage, went back to bed. Got up at 4am and have been up ever since.

At least I have given the dogs a walk before the day gets too hot. Saw a few people I haven't seen for ages, because I am always so late or not walking at all in the mornings.

Actually, I've just had a thought. Maybe today won't be so bad, because three nasties have happened already.

1. I went to make the bed and found a cicada on my pillow. :eek::eek:

2. I was putting more plastic bags in my dog walking bag when I felt something walk over my hand. ANOTHER CICADA !!!

3. Was Danny's throw up.

So nothing more can go wrong, can it?

OMG DDD

cicada in the bed - prehistoric monster bugs - give me the creeps (yes I think living in NZ or Albany West Oz is hard)...

I was boiling apricots and sugar today - and noticed a giant flying shiny black weevil bug thing in my chimney vent. It's got a little bit of flywire over it to stop dirt and bugs coming onto the cooking area but... obviously this thing was big enough to push its way under. About the size of a big olive. I put it outside.

Really did not want that in the jam - so good save I think.

I did water the garden but it was too hot at 7am to be walking anywhere. Sigh.

Hope the injection works.

My hope that nothing more can go wrong has been seriously misplaced.

Danny had his Cerenia injection this morning. I took Bunter in for a consultation as he has had the most godawful dry hacking cough. He has a very mild heart murmur and vet seems to think this has worsened and I had to leave him there for X-rays.

Came home and tried Danny with some icecream. He licked some up, then threw it up. He did lick a little bit of it back up.

I spent the next couple of hours out to it on the couch.

Gave Danny, Jeune and Tamar small amount of Science Diet Beef Stew and also put some Goats Milk and honey down for Danny. He started eating (read: picking and spitting out), but eventually ate a tiny amount and then started on the milk/honey mixture.

Tamar has now thrown up all over the deck and Danny has thrown up again inside.

Jeune coughs and brings up a bit of slime when she drinks water. She is eating normally though if anything she does could be called normal.

In a couple of weeks' time, we will have lived here for 10 years. At that time, I had 5 dogs (Danny, Jeune, Tamar, Tirra and Gong Zhu) and one Gussy Cat. Today, with Bunter at the vet clinic, it was the old originals here. So many dogs have passed through my home in those 10 years, it seemed strange that, 10 years on, 4 of the originals (Danny, Jeune, Tamar and Gussy) are still with me.

A lot has happened in those 10 years. Can't say I am wiser: definitively older and sadder.

Yonjuro, I don't know if you read the thread about toxic relatives in Off Topic, but I read that with horror and thank my lucky stars I don't have some of the horrible rellies that others have. BUT!!! I am beginning to wonder if I have a toxic house :eek::eek:

The news for Bunter is good - has some slight signs of bronchitis, but heart is all okay. Meds three times a day for a week and check in with vet and LOSE A LOT OF WEGHT, at least 2kgs .... Bunter and I are very overweight and it is no one's fault but mine.

Mrs RB, Danny ate a little bit of VIP Gourmet Chicken roll. OMG!! They are huge. I'll be feeding them that for weeks LOL. It is all cut up into day sized chunks and in the freezer. I need a bigger frig.

Good that he kept a little of the chicken roll down DDD. I hope today is a better day for you the yesterday. You must have spent half the day cleaning up dog vomit.

To Danny's and Tammara's stomachs. Settle down for krisakes. Your Mum needs a break, she must be running on empty.

LOL, thanks for the larf, CavNrott. I've been running on arrowroot biscuits and icecream that Danny won't eat. I blame him for the 2kgs I've put on in the past month :laugh:

He wouldn't eat this morning, but then even when he was well, he rarely did. In fact some time ago, I stopped feeding all the dogs in the morning, but started up again, because they were going nuts by about 4 o'clock. I actually started a thread on it because I was banging my head against the wall of their lack of interest.

Tamar is hiding in the dark in the study, but she has always been such a funny little timid, frightened at the sound of a twig snapping little thing, so if she is off colour she is a dozen times worse.

Off soon to the vet for Danny's second injection.

Ed to add: I've been on the deck hosing down mats. Luckily I have those that look like material but are in fact polyurethane. They are marvellous. Just hose them down with a bit of detergent and eucalyptus oil and hang them over the railings. Good as new.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

These dogs of yours are so lucky DDD for your dedication to their wellbeing. You must be totally over going to the vet so frequently(not to mention cleaning up dog vomit) and tying to persuade Danny to eat. I hate to think what your stress levels would be.

Please keep us up to date with Danny, and Tamar too.

It is posts like yours, CavNrott, that keep me going. :) :)

And people like Rappie who give me more information (to try Cerenia) - and make me wonder why my own vets didn't consider it :(

In fact the vet I saw yesterday for Danny's injection became quite tetchy when I asked her a few questions. Said she wasn't across Danny's case and didn't have the 1/2 hour needed to read up the case notes and for me to wait until I saw his vet again.

Yet when I went back to pick up Bunter, she could have been more concerned and detailed in pointing out on his xrays the indicators to his problems. Yep, they are human too, but we are in their hands.

DDD if the injections are regular perhaps your Vet can show you how to do them at home? Mick had a 3 week course of daily injections and my Vet showed me how and gave me a supply of needles and solution First time held my breath but Mick and I survived lol. It's really easy, give it a go!

Just back from the vet - Danny threw up on the way home :cry: Just a few specks of frotth, but when we arrived home, he pranced off down the side path like a dressage champion. :banghead:

Pebbles, these injections are a course of no more than 5 (hopefully I won't be charged a full consultation fee for each time :(:( ), so I figured that it was worth it to take him down daily.

He is now lying on a mat beside me, so hopefully he will just sleep and chill.

How could anyone not be dedicated to this little soul? (Danny has roused himself from a deep sleep to check on me because I went into the kitchen, because the washing up was begging to be done. I eventually had to shut him out because he insisted on being at my feet as I stood at the washing up area :eek:.

2015Danny_zpsaaf7bc38.jpg)

I have some news and will try to keep a long story short (as possible LOL). Received a PM from a DOLer who hasn't posted here but has been reading. She wanted to send me some samples of dried treats which she felt sure a certain little dog would eat and if I was okay with that, she would need my address. Was I okay with that? Is the Pope Catholic --- as the saying goes.

Cut to the chase ---- treats arrived today and for the first time in ages, Danny ate like a normal dog. The treats were green tripe medallions, dried chicken and dried roo heart.

I actually had to stop because he would have eaten the lot and I didn't want to overload him.

(The other dogs had to have some as well :laugh: and, of course, they loved them too.)

The DOLer had included a brochure as well, so I immediately rang the suppliers, had a long talk about Danny's problems and will be eagerly awating the post on Monday.

Who is this DOLer whom I am going to nominate for DOLer of the Year ???

TAKE A BOW..... VALBITZ ::thumbsup::thumbsup: