What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pleased to see your update DDD, good on you for giving them honest feedback on the issues too.Sounds like everyone is a teeny bit better, you might manage without the forgotten tramadol! Hope it continues to improve.

Get the caramel popcorn ice cream from Coles... Very soothing!!

Because my podiatry appointment was next door to the little IGA at Westleigh, I went there. I actually did stand in front of the ice cream cabinet and wiping up my saliva before commonsense prevailed and I dragged myself past. Did find some scrumptious Mersey Valley spreadable cheese though :D

Thanks Cavs. Yes, if Angus hadn't been around these past few days, I'd have been up s**t creek. He even came out of a seminar to call me after I'd left a message. I :love: him and Penny. Jill McAllister is terrific too.

Yes Angus was very kind to me after I lost Lani. I was in shock as I lost her in 14 hours.

He dropped around a lovely card and photo to my house. The card had some lovely words in it.

You were very strong to resist the ice cream but the Mersey Valley cheese is almost as good!

Hope Danny continues to improve

Eggs.. Zig has discovered that one of my lovely chickens lays her eggs in the garden or the run of the coop - he goes in every single day to see if there is one there for him.

He has never really been very food motivated but he will happily sit and wait while an egg is laid for him :)

Luckily the other three are laying in the nesting boxes, so he can't get in there to get those ones..

First major throw up this morning since last week :( :( . Apart from a few very minor regurgitations which have been promptly licked up, he has been pretty good, so his vomit this morning is very disappointing - I'm sure he didn't enjoy it either, poor little man. He seems okay though and I guess the day can only improve.

Watching anxiously (sorry LG can't help it :D I am a born worrier) to see if he keeps breakfast down.

This is one of the emails from the SASH vet from yesterday. So I need to monitor him carefully (keeping a detailed record) for quite some time:

If we ‘trial’ the carafate, it would be most useful if you could try to observe a clear ‘cause and effect’ of using a new drug.

So, before starting the drug, you want firstly, everything else to remain the same, and secondly, have a general idea of how things are going (for example in this case our goal is to improve appetite so get a baseline of his appetite).

I emphasise the GENERAL idea, in that what is happening that day or that moment is not as important as the bigger picture over the past 5-10 days.

So you might say, I’m sticking with this general diet, giving these medications, and Danny’s appetite over the past week has been FAIR.

Then, start the drug and after 5 days or, make another assessment as to how that general appetite is. So then you might say, I’ve kept everything the same and Danny’s appetite since starting the drug is BETTER.

If it’s unchanged, then the drug is not helping and can probably be stopped.

If it’s improved, then the drug has helped and we should continue.

If you are not sure, then we are not sure, and we won’t know whether to continue it or not.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I used carafate for a long time with Ollie - he had MCTs and used to throw up a lot (we didn't test but assumed the MCT had made it way to his stomach but as he still wanted to eat, most of the time, and was happy we just kept plodding along).

I found the carafate very helpful for him.

Edited to add - if you choose to go with it, ask the vet for a prescription to get it from your local chemist.

It is much cheaper this way than if the vet supplies it.

Edited by Staffyluv

Thanks for that, StaffyLuv. The biopsy report came back yesterday and nothing conclusive at all just "non-specific gastritis".

We have just re-started the carafate and hopefully it will improve his desire to eat with his tummy being eased just a little bit more. He seems to really like (I'll bet I've jinxed it now) the Eukanuba Intestinal kibble. I have a can of this as well, but haven't tried it yet.

He seems to have gone right off the i/d slurry and had to syringe some this morning. I hate having to syringe the food as I am worried that it will bring on gags and vomits. I'm off to the chemist today to see if I can find some I can manage more easily. The ones SASH gave me look big enough to feed a horse and you'd have to be able to bench press 400kg to control the flow.

At least all the medications are now via syringe, so that is one worry gone and because the syringes are so small, I don't worry so much about this bringing on a gagging fit.

Thanks LabT and RSA. I'll hold off the cuddles for a little while :laugh: :laugh: . He is sound asleep next to the table and I think he must be exhausted as well. I don't even dare move from here because he'd be up like shot following.

On second thoughts, I might just join him on the mat LOL.

I have heard of people using a turkey baster to help get food in and I would imagine it to be pretty gentle, the other thing that might work is putting some peanut butter or a bit of honey on the end to encourage the licking and then you might be able to gently squeeze some food in.

I've heard of them being used for other purposes, Yonjuro :D :D

Despite my shock at discovering how expensive the compounded liquid medications are, I cannot express what a relief they are.

All Danny's meds are via syringe now and (touch wood), so easy. I just measure the appropriate amount, dip the tip in yoghurt and he takes it without any problems.

Tamar is on propalin and that is via syringe too, so I have four small glasses lined up on the kitchen bench for each syringe. After each use, they are washed in boiling water and back into the glass :laugh: :laugh: . Yes, I'm a bit anal, but it works for me. :o

Danny's demeanour seems to be improving too, he actually went to sleep on his mat near the dining table when he couldn't see me :eek: :eek: and when I came back from walking the other three this afternoon, he wasn't at the side gate. He was at the top of the back stairs wriggling himself into a pretzel and wagging his tail, so I think he'd gone back upstairs and slept until we returned. Almost unheard of. So he is obviously feeling tired from the whole business and giving in to it.

Each day is different.

I need to know how I have offended St Francis, because I obviously have......BIG TIME :cry::cry:

Finally managed to get to sleep just before 4am this morning. Alarm went off for Danny's first med at 7.00. Staggered out to do that, staggered back to bed. 7.30am alarm again, back to bed and sleep until next alarm at 9.30am. I actually got up before then as Gussy Cat wanted out so I opened the door for her, gave her a little bowl of food and shut the door on my finger :eek::eek: I was so groggy that I'd propped myself against the door opening and didn't move in time.

Gave Danny his 9.30am med and then noticed he was pawing at his eye. Took a look and the eyelid is all red and swollen. I thought at first the cut he'd come home with from SASH might have become infected.

Off to the vet as soon as they could see me and he has a sty. Poor little chap.

So if anyone has a direct line to St Francis, please intercede on behalf of my dogs, cat and me :pray::pray: