How Do They Know?

Ivory & Beau

I have a bank of four bird avaries in the yard. Whenever I do anything outside, three of the four dogs follow me to help. That is a given! Even when I'm in with the birds, they are hanging around up that end of the yard. Ivy will patrol the fence, the other two just loitering around.

The largest aviary has quail in it and the dogs always get the eggs to eat. I don't feed/water that aviary till last and I very often will walk out to re-fill my watering can BEFORE I have even stepped foot in the large aviary where the quail are. The dogs always get excited to see me come out again and they help me fill the watering can, because I can't possibly do that on my own!

But when I come out and I HAVE stepped foot in the large,quail aviary, all three are at the flight door itching for egg. Even before I am physically out of the aviary. There is a massive flight area that acts as a safety door.

How on earth do they know the exact moment I have been in the large aviary and I should have eggy treats? I don't always bring eggs out for them either. Sometimes I'm just in there to dish out fruit. But they still act the same. And it makes me feel guilty to have not picked up the eggs for them.

Hope I make sense?

I don't know about the eggs, but i put 2 new cockatiels in my aviary (with the 2 existing ones) and one of my dogs knew they were new and spent some time watching them. He never showed any interest in the existing 2 and didn't see me put the new 2 in the cage - so he just knew things were different in his garden.... The other two dogs had no idea we got new cockatiels.

Not bird related….but when I go to my room to get changed into training gear Em knows. She goes bonkers. She is in the lounge room behind a baby gate so she can't see what I'm doing. Clearly there is something about how I open drawers or the order in which I do stuff but she always goes nuts. Zig goes a bit crazy too but I wonder if he is just copying her lead.

One of the best incidences (if this is the correct word) involved a cross bred dog belonging to a friend.

Because of her OCD tendencies, the dog got a bath every Saturday, any time after 09:30am.

And every Saturday morning, at 09:25am ( give or take a minute) said dog went and crawled under the double bed.

She never got towels out, said the 'b' word.

I watched this on many occasion.

We both howled with laughter.

How would the dog have known?

:eek:

Not bird related….but when I go to my room to get changed into training gear Em knows.

Our family's Cardigan Corgi, Biddy, used to watch what clothes my father put on in the mornings. If they were his work clothes, Biddy would turn tail & follow my mother for the day. If he put on the clothes he wore for going out on his boat, Biddy would dash downstairs & sit next to his car. He always took her out on his boat when going fishing.

Biddy was passionate about going on the boat. She got to the stage if my father mentioned the word 'fishing' at night when making plans with his mates on the phone... she'd dash downstairs & sit next to his car. And would be prepared to sit there all night in case he forgot her (which he never did).

The poor man got to spelling 'f-i-s-h-i-n-g' on the phone. Of course, Biddy soon learned what that meant.... :)

My dogs used to know whether I was going horse riding as opposed to jogging by checking out my shoes as I walked out the door :)

My dogs now, know if I'm going out and just go into their respective beds, despite the fact that I sometimes just wear paddock clothes when I go into town :)

we usually take the dogs places on the weekend so when OH and I are getting ready in casual gear (jeans, shorts etc) they run around like mad hatters. This has lended itself to them doing to same thing on Friday mornings when it's casual dress at work. Mon - Thurs though they couldn't care less while I'm getting ready.

Yep, my 2 know the difference between my shoes, work shoes, paddock shoes, dog walking shoes, man do they make a racket when I put on the walking shoes. You best believe that I had better high tail it to the leads and not decide to have a toilet break with my shoes on - both dogs barging into the loo and bouncing up and down and yowling their heads off - "Hurry Up MUM, couldn't you have done that before!!" :rofl:

My old girl used to know it was Sunday and would not settle down until we headed off to dog club :confused: .

How they know a 'day' always amazes me.

Bessie, long gone after 15 years of being a sheep & cow dog AND puppy maker even knew times on days.

My Uncle used milk a big herd of cows. His only day off was a Sunday.

Every Sunday, at 14:30pm, Bessie would go up to the back paddocks and bring the cows into the byre for milking.

Same bitch during lambing would know where to go on the property to find the ewes in distress in lambing.

My Uncle would tell people that if he had not had Bessie, he would never have survived on the farm such where her skills.

In her later years, she was riddled with arthritis. He would lift her in and out of the ute.

His reasons were so simple.

She was his loyal and loving best friend.

:cry:

My old girl Miss, used to act all dejected and would take herself outside and put herself in her kennel run if I had my school uniform on. If I had jeans on she would stay all cosy in her bed unless I had my handbag on then she would do the same if I was wearing my uniform.

She wouldn't bat an eyelid if I had other clothes though, unless I walked out to the laundry and opened the cupboard then I was greeted with a black labxkelpie missile coming flying at me (the food/treats and leads all lived out in the laundry cupboard).

--Lhok

Tempeh seems to know the time, day and night and regardless of the season. Initially breakfast had to be no later than 7am and dinner no later than 5.30pm. But we introduced a late night snack at 11pm and breakfast can now go as late as 8am. Half an hour before breakfast and dinner are due Tempeh will be stuck to me like glue and as the minutes tick down she does everything she can to ensure I don't forget, particularly if I am on the computer just before dinner. Same with the late night snack. She can be fast asleep on my bed and all of a sudden turn up in the lounge room and sit in front of us just prior to 11pm. I figure she might be able to work out the breakfast and dinner times based on sunrise and sunset but how does she know 11pm? We don't watch the same tv show or make cups of tea at certain times every night so there is no routine to go by based on us.

And Stussy seems to know Sunday's too. Every Sunday as a treat I take her with me to the paper shop while the other dogs stay home. I wear the same clothes I might for a walk (change in my pocket) but instead of heading out the front pathway she knows Sunday means we turn left and head to the car.

ours are pretty good with the time of day regardless of the time of year as well. Whenever I get home from work they are waiting impatiently behind the gate but I can go home at lunch and catch them asleep in the kennel

Mine know the difference between gym clothes and walking clothes. This is pretty clever as there isn't much difference! They actually look me up and down which is hilarious. When I put my hat on they know for sure that it is walking time!

They also seem to know Sunday is dog school day. No idea how as I don't do anything different on a Sunday prior to school.

They also know the shopping bags bring food back. And will lick their lips when they see me going off with the bags. I have never fed them directly from the bags either so I assume they can smell the food in the bags as I carry them in.

Amber got super excited when I was packing the car for our last holiday too so she knows what a suitcase means now :laugh: