6 Month Old Naughty Boy

Stressmagnet

oh, Stressmagnet!

He's a lucky boy to have you. It's early in your relationship and he's a youngster adjusting to life.

I think you are going really well.

Another great point is the mere fact you are making an effort to train him as well.

I sincerely think you are not messing up.

Any type of training needs to be 'tweaked'.

HUGS to you & dont over fret this.

:love:

Agree with the bolded bit. I'm sure he will mature into a great dog with such a dedicated owner but Rome wasn't built in a day. :) He is an excitable 6 month old Lab. Pretty normal I would say.

Here's a link to a you tube video of teaching calmness by Kikopup. She does fantastic video tutorials of all sorts of training stuff. Well worth checking them out.

Good luck with him. Have you joined an obedience club?

Yup. I'm clicker training.

He will settle and calm down in his crate - but getting him to calm or settle outside a crate is proving challenging. He settles, I click/reward, he bounces up for a repeat.

On occasion, he barks when the clicker comes out - and he gets a time out.

I'm thinking IM reinforcing the excited 'I get a treat' behaviour rather than the calm behaviour.

We also ignore him in an excited state -- sit for a pat, or all 4 on the ground.

Where am I messing up? It's not his fault, I'm not reading him right, I know.

Make sure he can't see your treats or clicker....hide them in a pocket or behind your back. Don't have treats at the ready in your hand. As soon as his bum hits the floor..click, but hold off on the treat for half a second & then get another treat to him (no click) while he remains still, then another etc increasing the time between treats. As soon as he gets up, the game is over & no more treats, till YOU are ready to play again. It's the timing of the click that's important...it doesn't matter if the treat comes a second or two later. You have to be careful that you don't get into the habit of clicking & treating at almost exactly the same time. :) It will come...he's a bouncy boy & it doesn't happen overnight, & keep your sessions very short, quitting while you are ahead & on a good note.

I find the clicker excellent for times when you want the dog to be a bit perky. For times when I want calmness I use rewards that will not induce a state of excitement. For calm behaviours I find soothing voice and soothing pats to work well.

Also you could use filled longs or bones to reward being in the crate. Bones are good because chewing typically relaxes dogs and your dog comes to associate the crate with relaxing.

I'm sure you'll get there with him :) he's an excited pup with not much self-control to draw on at this stage so it's just a matter of clearly communicating to him and being patient :)

Um.

I AM walking him on lead for short walks according to the vet's recommendations. It's not enough, he needs to run but that's not happening for another four days.

Argue all you want. I ignored a vets advice with my last dog and ended up with burst stitches, and an incontinent dog.

I'll practice the video technique and the excellent advice given here, and count the days till he can burn off more energy.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Um.

I AM walking him on lead for short walks according to the vet's recommendations. It's not enough, he needs to run but that's not happening for another four days.

Argue all you want. I ignored a vets advice with my last dog and ended up with burst stitches, and an incontinent dog.

I'll practice the video technique and the excellent advice given here, and count the days till he can burn off done energy.

Not looking for an argument. :shrug: You said the dog was on "enforced rest". I took that to mean "no exercise".

My bad. embarrass.gif

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Enforced rest - my bad. I meant he gets a measley amble up and down the street for 15 mins 2x a day as opposed to his ranging 30 minute walk plus recall work in the morning and a 40 minute brisk walk/run/walk in the afternoon.

I'm just a bit cranky with my kids who are inundating me with homework, it's a bad chemo day and Ernie peed on the carpet because my 11 year old would rather text.

Sorry I came across like a snot.

Ps. My vet wants me to crate him most of the day. Argh.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Enforced test - my bad. I meant he gets a measley amble up and down the street for 15 mins 2x a day as opposed to his ranging 30 minute walk plus recall work in the morning and a 40 minute brisk walk/run/walk in the afternoon.

I'm just a bit cranky with my kids who are inundating me with homework, it's a bad chemo day and Ernie peed on the carpet because my 11 year old would rather text.

Sorry I came across like a snot.

No offence taken. banana.gif

I have never rewarded with treats or used a clicker, just verbal praise however the sit & then wait command is invaluable before being allowed through the front door & in many situations even if it does take ages & patience.

Years ago I had my toy poodle in the car on the back seat. They were all trained to stay in the back & behave while I was driving & there were no harness/crate laws back then.

It was rush hour & I pulled in a busy petrol station for fuel on a main road. A dog in a nearby car had its head out of the window doing its nut at my dog. I opened the door & my dog shot out :eek: I yelled sit. stay & automatically without thinking he just did it so I could pick him up & safely contain him in the car.

Leave it is another good command. The one time mine saw a snake I also yelled leave it & sit & the damn thing went under the house while they all sat there. Doesn't work on cats though. 2 of mine pinched my fillet steak when I went to answer the door :)

With 2 teenagers & what you are going through :flower: I am sure you have had plenty of practise being patient. He sounds a good dog.

He has the makings of a fantastic dog. He's just frustrated at not being allowed to do much and he's a teenager. It's just been 6 years (pre-cancer) since I owned a pup and while the rewards for putting the time in are tremendous, I do have my cranky days. Cancer HASNT made me any better as a human being or mother, I fear!

I'm so looking forward to him getting his stitches out and really getting to know him. He's not been with us long enough for me to see his true personality, but what I have seen, I'm liking.

I've taken the advice here and watched the video and the quiet non-clicking approach to settling down appears to have more success than clicking. I was obviously doing it wrong. I'm the old dog here!

I cannot thank everyone enough - esp those of you who thought I was being cranky and were nice anyway.

H He's not been with us long enough for me to see his true personality, but what I have seen, I'm liking.

I've taken the advice here and watched the video and the quiet non-clicking approach to settling down appears to have more success than clicking. I was obviously doing it wrong. I'm the old dog here!

I cannot thank everyone enough - esp those of you who thought I was being cranky and were nice anyway.

I am yet to be convinced this is all you. Where I am coming from is getting a puppy myself after 15 years of adult dogs.

Bluntly, it's been an exhausting culture shock.

We even named him Horrible Herbert.

Not that he has a bad bone in his body. He is simply a full on active AND darn intelligent dog. But he is also immature.

Your position is similar, methinks. Being in a situation that matches little that you have ever known before.

That's alright. You are on a learning curve. you are working out what to do. A slow, steady pace is needed & you are finding the best way.

Good for you

:love:

Thank you. Means a lot, given you have Vizla in your username. I've loved Vizlas but oh Maude, there's no way I could handle all that energy. A labrador doofus is my absolute limit. I had a Weimaraner growing up and I remember my mother weeping at the kitchen sink after he re plumbed the sewage system.

I'm another one who forgot that puppies can be hard work - plus the stress of trying to raise them 'right'! I've definitely had a cry over my girl, more than once!

Good luck with him, it sounds like you've got the makings of an amazing bond :D