Securing A Pet Door Overnight

kwirky

We have a pet door in a sliding security door with a simple magnetic closure so the pup and kitty can come and go during the day. We close the glass sliding door at night to keep them in.

Now that the weather is improving I am trying to come up with a way to be able to effectively 'lock' the flap at night so the boys can't get out but being able to leave the glass door open (to allow a breeze).

So far I have thought to use bull dog clips (from work he he) which seem to work however this leaves a gap which I think the insects would like.

Has anyone had a similar experiences or any ideas?

Most commercial pet doors come with a lock...obviously yours doesn't. frown.gif

Can you get a piece of perspex or even plywood and slide it to wedge between the frame and the door so that it covers the flap but leaves the flywire above the flap exposed?

can you put a chair or footstool in front of it?

our pet door in the laundry door locks, but I'm absent minded so I just put the washing basket in front of it if I want to keep the little dog out when mopping floors so then I can easily see that it's 'locked' and open it later

My pet doors were installed by the people who custom made the security doors. And they put on thingies exactly like those, KC, so the pet doors could be clipped shut when needed. Simple & works a treat.

Edited by mita

I found my two can push the flap open, even when bolted shut :eek:

Not a sliding door, but for my back door I put one of the bunnings compost panels on the inside, folded at the edges to fit in the frame. It bends easily, so removing it is quick :) Maybe something like that would work?

It obviously keeps them outside when needed too :D

th_IMG_4773_zps452d4d17.jpg