Snake Season Again :(

Kirislin

I see these warning threads from other DOLers reminding us to be careful and watch out for snakes but this time it's happened to a friend. Her beautiful little rescue dog Dash died yesterday from a tiger snake bite.

I knew him, he was such a sweet little dog. :( Farewell little Dash.

14985462963_2e6acc5aff_c.jpg5F6A1294dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

15605604475_f852bc7954_c.jpg5F6A1299dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

15419503838_8a4848491b_c.jpg5F6A2467dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

He liked giving

15605602625_69077a3a66_c.jpg5F6A1288dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

15419497948_2b83ca21bf_c.jpg5F6A1287dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

and receiving kisses

14985465033_82c1456df3_c.jpg5F6A2466dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

RIP lil Dash rainbowbridge.gif

Been keeping an eye out since the really warm weather kicked in...hate summer for the snake season [don't mind snakes, just what they can do]. Have to leave the boys locked up inside if they have to be left alone [as snakes frequent under the veranda where the dog run is]. Bring on winter!

Very sad. I fear for my dogs with snakes. Our vets ran the last snake detection test for last season in June and the first for this season in late August/early September. Scary how long the snake season can be.

Hopefully the snake which was inside my house last summer has well and truly moved on. I managed to get him outside but he disappeared pretty quickly.

RIP Dash, what a cutie.

Yes, the snakes are scary, I have already seen a 4 foot RBB and the neighbours have seen a brown, we live on acreage so no getting away from them, you just have to be aware and scan the surroundings.

We have actually snake meshed the new dog enrichment garden and I am feeling a hell of a lot better about leaving the dogs in there during the day while I'm at work.

RIP Dash :(

Koda had a close encounter with a small snake a few weeks ago while at a friends property. He was barking at it, and it was trying to get away but looked a bit like it tried to strike out.

Thankfully he didnt get him but i watched him like a hawk for weeks after.

Also thankfully ive never seen one around my house here in Brissy.

My AmStaff girl was killed by a brown snake this past Feb. Stupid Ex hub couldn't be bothered to mow the lawn (and we have kids). She got the snake - over 1 metre long. I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't taken the girls away for the weekend and they'd been outside with her. I miss that dog. I don't miss the f-ex.

I am so sorry to hear about Dash.

Be vigilent everyone, snakes can be anywhere. I lost my Jack Russell last March after doing all I could to snake-proof" the yard, close palings, palings on the horizonal bottom of fence, cement under, no rubbish, shrubs, water etc in yard, outside 5 acres kept short.... but still they came, and as good a snaker as he was, he was not good enough this day.

Now my new boy is 15 months old, and I fear the worst, he is not as savvy as Tip was, so I am concerned!

Thanks for the reminder for vigilance.

Di

small, but deadly?

Went to feed my bantams ..& jumped 3 feet backwards after seeing a 4 foot long brown snake on the floor of the aviary! As it had some twigs on it ..I guessed it was no longer alive - found a (very) long stick , tapped, poked ..& was proven correct .

One gorgeous, bright and healthy looking dead reptile. hmmmm... on closer inspection, it had a couple of bloodied patches ... so I presume it was attacked by the banties , who injured it, or it injured itself trying to escape , causing death by internal bleeding, probably . Bantams & chicks are all fine .

I almost feel sorry for the snake ..he was on mouse patrol it seems .... Still - one less to be concerned about with dogs & humans ....

We have had two large browns here already.

This was the first one

post-15010-0-89915800-1414365666_thumb.jpg

The second one I was talking to my husband distracted and he goes "snake"and the damn thing was under my feet and I completely freaked out even though I know to stand still and I was dancing around trying to get away from it. :laugh: The poor thing was so freaked out and it was huge! I was so lucky not to get bitten. :o

so sad to hear of another dog lost :( to a bloody snake :mad

Perrin thats one big Joe Blake :eek:

I have seen two video clips on FB

one guy standing still snake comes at him at a rapid speed bites his leg and then keeps going on its way .

The other Guy standing still snake calmly goes between his legs and on its merry way .

I know I would be like you dancing around or maybe I'd be a running and not stop :laugh:

This is my biggest fear with our dogs as we are looking at moving to the country in a few years.

My grandparents used to own a farm up in Kinglake and one of their dogs was bitten and killed by a snake. A terrible way to go :(

I've had at least half a dozen close run-ins with snakes but I think they would have to be moving at the speed of light to catch up with me.

so sad to hear of another dog lost :( to a bloody snake :mad

Perrin thats one big Joe Blake :eek:

I have seen two video clips on FB

one guy standing still snake comes at him at a rapid speed bites his leg and then keeps going on its way .

The other Guy standing still snake calmly goes between his legs and on its merry way .

I know I would be like you dancing around or maybe I'd be a running and not stop :laugh:

can you find the link to this one? I'd like to see it. Was it in Australia?

Perrin, I saw a dead snake of a very similar colour to the one you posted the pic of. It had a blondie colour with a metallic sheen. I thought it might have been a copperhead.