Just A Vent About Numpty Owners And Off Leash Dogs.

Malakita

I go to Lillydale Lake a fair bit. It is a nice open area and all dogs must be on leash, unless you are in one of two designated off leash areas. I know all dogs are on leash, I can see far up ahead and I don't get ambushed by off leash dogs.

But lately a minority have taken it as their right to have their dogs off leash in non designated off leash areas. One older woman even has the hide to pedal all around the 2.5 km track with off leash her dog running beside her. Sometimes the dog is way behind or out in front. I told her off last time and she told me to mind my own business. Oh well.

Today I had someone else's dog run up to mine. I said dogs must be on leash. She said mine is well trained and whatever. And that older woman's dog snuck up/ approached someone else's dog from behind and the older guy had to pull his dog away.

Why is it that some people have so much difficulty following a clear and simple instruction? There are signs all around the track that clearly say dogs must be on leash, unless in an off leash area. I am just so fed up of people just doing their own thing with no regard for anyone else. The world would be a much better place if people just had some consideration and respect for others. And this applies to stuff in general too, not just dog stuff.

Ok vent over.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a waste of time but perhaps a phone call to the Council Offices at the tie those dogs are there and off the lead inappropriately may bring a Ranger out to do something. One can only hope.

This is one of the reasons why I don't walk my dogs in public areas.

I find this is becoming increasingly the case at many many on leash parks around Melbourne. It's very frustrating. Sometimes I really just want to walk my dog in peace without interacting with other dogs or humans, even if she is friendly. I took my girl to Albert Park lake one time, looking up online beforehand which parts were on leash only.

Yeah, so much for that. Off leash dogs everywhere, even in very clearly signed areas, and one particularly out of control one gave my girl a nasty fall and a muscle injury, putting her out of action for weeks.

I'm so fed up of people not following the leash laws it's not even funny.

I have thought about calling the ranger, but it is more the ' when will they eventually turn up' that may see the offenders leave before they get there. There have been so many times I wish I could just Dial a Ranger. It is not just at the lake, but in public. People and their right to have their dog off leash when it is supposed to be on leash!!

I didn't know there are now 3 areas. I know the kind of secluded one on the left just as you enter. It is a big round bit surrounded by trees. The other one is next to the stream . I take my girl there when there are no dogs around. Where is the 3rd?

Where else do people walk their dogs? I don't mind seeing other on leash dogs on the walk. Walking around the 'burbs gets abit boring at times.

Silentchild, that is awful about your poor dog! Hope the owner got an earful!

It's a nightmare here on the Central Coast especially my suburb of Terrigal. We have a large off leash area plus two of our beaches are off leash with no time restrictions but nooooo people just think the whole bloody suburb is off leash, they don't give a crap :mad Oh and speaking of crap apparently they don't have to pick that up either. I have been abused countless times by people for asking them to leash their out of control dogs, after all mine are muzzled by law, I was even spat at once by one charmer. Since my greyhounds were attacked by off lead dogs in April I am petrified every time I take them out, the rangers don't care so I give up. I am moving to the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria in two weeks and I'm really hoping I can find a safe place to walk them. If not I can join in with the greyhound rescue peeps who have regular walks and events, at least I won't feel so frightened all the time with safety in numbers. Ignorant people have taken the simple pleasure of walking my dogs away from me :(

I have to put my hand up in shame today. :o I took the dogs to an off leash beach and we'd been for a long walk up and back with not a soul in sight. Then luckily I at least had Tag back on the leash and was about to put Puck on too when he spied a woman appear from a bush track with 2 dogs on leash. He pelted over to them barking as he does if he gets the chance. I called him back and he came, but not quickly enough for my liking. If you are a DOLer I apologise. He's not aggressive but it's not good enough, it was a lapse in concentration on my part.

Why is it that some people have so much difficulty following a clear and simple instruction? There are signs all around the track that clearly say dogs must be on leash, unless in an off leash area. I am just so fed up of people just doing their own thing with no regard for anyone else. The world would be a much better place if people just had some consideration and respect for others. And this applies to stuff in general too, not just dog stuff.

Ok vent over.

I had a 'thing' look at me and say 'but he's only off the lead for a minute and he's just a little dog.'

Said mutt was trying to nip the heels of all the people nearby & charging them. He was frankly a disturbance.

He cleared the park in 5 seconds flat. His 'thing' sat down & proceeded to use her mobile whilst her mutt ran amuck.

BAH

:mad

Bit hard to explain the 3rd area. If you look up Patterson Rd, Lilydale on google maps, it is in that area of the lake. Sort of the hill bit near the wetlands area.

It is quite nice walking around Dorset Golf course. Haven't had any issues there. There is also an off lead area.

Alfred Nicholson gardens are lovely for a dog walk.

The Warburton Trail.

It's a real issue here in the Central Cosst NSW. The idiots whose dog charges right up to you while they grin moronically and flap their arms 'oh he's friendly'. Um, if your dog charges at mine - that's canine bad manners. I've a pup right now who does this so - he's NEVER off leash till he learns some respect. I DONT think its cute or endearing that you don't read your dog or signs for that matter.

And as for the odd slip up mentioned above? We ALL have them -- it's the habitual offenders that chap my hide. And ensure that off leash areas get smaller and smaller.

I so wish there was another fenced off leash area other than Tuggerah as well - fences ensure that its obvious what's on and off leash.

Wow. That was disjointed posting. Sorry, great pain meds.

I have thought about calling the ranger, but it is more the ' when will they eventually turn up' that may see the offenders leave before they get there. There have been so many times I wish I could just Dial a Ranger. It is not just at the lake, but in public. People and their right to have their dog off leash when it is supposed to be on leash!!

I didn't know there are now 3 areas. I know the kind of secluded one on the left just as you enter. It is a big round bit surrounded by trees. The other one is next to the stream . I take my girl there when there are no dogs around. Where is the 3rd?

Where else do people walk their dogs? I don't mind seeing other on leash dogs on the walk. Walking around the 'burbs gets abit boring at times.

Silentchild, that is awful about your poor dog! Hope the owner got an earful!

There is an app called Snap Send Solve, which is great for circumstances like this, I have used it when someone was illegally parked in a handicapped parking space and had left little children unattended. The council were there in a flash !

Of course the success depends on how quickly the rangers respond, but it is quick and easy to use.

There is an app called Snap Send Solve, which is great for circumstances like this, I have used it when someone was illegally parked in a handicapped parking space and had left little children unattended. The council were there in a flash !

Of course the success depends on how quickly the rangers respond, but it is quick and easy to use.

I like this idea a lot.

:)

We've got habitual offenders here including the idiot who watched both of his dogs almost get run over as they raced across the road to get to mine. As small aggressive fluffies, my lot would have made mincemeat if them, muzzles or not. As it was, the car missed them by literally inches. But they still get walked unleashed, still charge at us, and now get sworn at as I manage my dogs and realise that my training has been out back another week as far as reactivity goes.

You all make me feel better. As in I am not the ony lucky special one surrounded by idiots who insist on doing the wrong thing. It is incredibly frustrating for people who do the right thing. And being abused by these numpties make things even worse. I feel so angry! What makes these people so blind to reason? Why do they insist on being stupid/ ignorant.

Like that old guy I told off in Coles yesterday for opening a soft drink bottle whilst in the aisle. I caught him doing it and taking a sip from it. Said he was going to pay. Never did, just ended up dumping the bottle somewhere. I ran out of the store to confront him. He wouldn't tell me where he dumped it and told me to go away. So any of you guys who buys soft drinks, always make sure the tops are definitely sealed when you buy them. As this disgusting old guy only took a sip, the bottle will look untouched. And as it was dumped, some employee will just return it back to where it is meant to be. And some very unlucky person will then buy it. Sorry, that turned out to be another vent!

Hazywal, you are so lucky! I am jealous :) you will love it there! Good luck with your move. Hopefully it will be a place of delightful responsible owners. We were there earlier in the year and it was so doggie friendly. All dogs were actually on leash.

Really fed up with morons and off lead dogs.

I just rehomed the sweetest little old Pomeranian aged 13 yrs to a friend of mine in Byron Bay. She also owns an old staffy and was walking down a road with them both on the lead in B.Bay when a female staffy (no owner in sight) attacked the Pom girl's neck and left puncture wounds.

My friend didn't know what to do but the dog was kicked off by some passers by.

I insisted she report it to the council as it could kill next time. She's only had the Pom for a week.

Turns out the staffy is owned by a homeless person. Personally I don't give a damn who owns the dog - it should be kept on the lead at all times.

I've told my friend to keep on at the council to ensure they enforce the law.

Hazywal, you are so lucky! I am jealous :) you will love it there! Good luck with your move. Hopefully it will be a place of delightful responsible owners. We were there earlier in the year and it was so doggie friendly. All dogs were actually on leash.

Just spent 3 days in Rye and went to the beach everyday. Only had 1 dog approach mine. Every other person kept theirs away when they saw me leash mine. Quite a few stopped and asked why I had hold of mine, :laugh: . This was an off leash area.

Just spent 3 days in Rye and went to the beach everyday. Only had 1 dog approach mine. Every other person kept theirs away when they saw me leash mine. Quite a few stopped and asked why I had hold of mine, :laugh: . This was an off leash area.

It would be lovely to take mine to the beach, I rarely take them here way to many idiots which is sad as Maddie loves to have a little lay down to cool off. Stan's not a fan of seaweed touching him :laugh:

Thanks for the well wishes Malakita I am so looking forward to it :thumbsup:

post-38965-0-18194600-1414190426_thumb.jpg

It would be lovely to take mine to the beach, I rarely take them here way to many idiots which is sad as Maddie loves to have a little lay down to cool off. Stan's not a fan of seaweed touching him :laugh:

Thanks for the well wishes Malakita I am so looking forward to it :thumbsup:

I do hope you have the same experience down there that I have had. :)

I live on the Mornington Peninsula and rarely have a problem with dogs running up. There are certain areas that are technically on leash but most dogs owners let them off, 95% of them are well controlled and put on leash as soon as they see another person or dog.

This I don't mind because everyone is respectful.

Just to add: the rangers down here are very strict about dogs being off leash on the beaches, they are always around even in the middle of winter.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow