Chinese Cresties

Rascalmyshadow

Can anyone that owns or has owned cresties tell a little bit about what they are usually like with other animals.

I know I can read plenty of info on the net but I would like some first hand information.

Are they a breed that tends to want to chase?

I am considering adding one to our family but I have bunnies and chooks (including bantams) that free range most of the day, our three dogs are very gentle and don't chase or hurt any of them.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I'm not sure about the chasing aspect but many live happily with cats.

We at Iggy Rescue have rescued a number of Cresties with no other options (3 in the last 4 months) and they have all been beautiful with other dogs.

They are quite like Italians and can be strange little souls. Recently I was told that if they get some sort of fright as a puppy, this can affect them permanently.

They can climb and require daily care for their skin so a busy household that is likely to forget is not a good option for them as it doesn't take long for the skin to have problems.

They can only wear cotton next to their skins and then you can put other coats over that.

I love them and last year I adopted one from another rescue group - he was old and more the traditional style (no hair at all), he was 9 yrs old and about 10 kilos - I find they vary enormously in looks and size.

Unfortunately he was not good with my other dogs (they are extremely good natured with all other dogs as I foster regularly) and I had to return him within the trial period. He was rehomed as an only dog.

I'd consider another Crestie in the future but not right now as my life is very busy.

They also tend to need a lot of dental care - just like Italians.

There are not a lot of true hairless about these days.

Some that you see are shaved to look hairless and that can be a lot of work to keep and maintain the dog in that state.

Some are what are called hairy hairless and grow coat all over their body.

Maybe you may want a Powder Puff but it will also require some grooming to maintain the coat.

All the best in your search. :)

CrazyCresties will be able to tell you more, but knowing her dogs yes they love to play chase, but they are also great with her cat. Her youngest comes to lure coursing :)

I thought of CrazyCresties.

Her dogs are a delight going by the photos

:)

They really are, and surprisingly fast!

I have a powderpuff, a hairy hairless and a true hairless. They are a breed that need good socialization when young, Louis and Daisy are both rescues and have ongoing issues from their younger days, but at home with us are great and also with guests once they've said hello. I've had them with cats and they get on just fine, but I'm not sure about bantams and rabbits. Louis killed a rat without hesitation in the garden and they are pretty bird focused with crows etc. and do like to chase them in the garden and at the beach. If you had it from a puppy I think they would be ok though.

Their skin does need care, but a good diet helps with that a lot. Mine seem fine with a wash every couple of weeks and coconut oil rubbed in occasionally. Mine aren't huge sun bakers, but you have to be sensible with them. Louis and Poppy have lots of clothes and are fine with fleece PJs, not all their clothes are cotton.

I find them quite sighthound like in their behaviour and just love the breed. I haven't had any real issues with teeth, Louis had his first dental recently at 8yrs old, he needed some small incisors removed but the vet was impressed with the condition of his rear teeth.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions, mine are all rescue types so I don't have any breeder recommendations, but could probably find some for you. They do vary in size and build, my older two are close to 10kg, but Poppy is not quite 5kg

Pics of my lot here :) http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/258338-the-crestie-gang/

Typical speed at the beach :)

Edited by CrazyCresties

Thank you for the replies, cc your cresties are very cute so is your kitty.

My dogs chase wild birds and possums, and also play chasy with the cats, Rascal helps me get Honey the angora rabbit back into her enclosure each night by nudging her bum, we have had the bantam chicks running freely around the yard since they were 4 1/2 weeks old and the dogs never bother them even when chasing pigeons.

What I don't want is a breed like the poodles where most of them have high prey drive even if exposed to small animals a young age, it's the main reason Im not getting another one.

I have 2 one is a 2yrs old hairy hairless boy. He is very timid and not keen on men. He is getting better but still timid if you raise your voice he runs.

The other boy is hes 5mths old and bullet proof nothing fazes this dog, he is a pain in the butt full of personality loves to play, annoy the other one, but learns quick when the other boy growls at him.

Both boys hunt anything that moves out side, the neighbours chook's have started to come over but my dogs dont approve and the dogs win.

I had a 8ft high pen made out of temp fencing panels and they both climb over it and out. I have found if they can get a footing there over or will jump a 5ft fence, but pool fencing has then stumped at the moment.

Mine are both mummies boys and sleep on the bed and never far from me. If I have a bad day and spend it in bed they stay with me.

They both love to run zig and zag around the place, IM lucky on a few acres they have plenty of room.