Vic Govt Amends Puppy Farm Laws

RuralPug

Golly can you tell there is a state election upcoming??

State Govt Opposition has been inundating social media etc with their promises to be the anti-puppy farming party. Meanwhile the present state coalition goverment has revamped the code for breeding and rearing practices, to take effect at the end of the week.

I haven't seen the detail yet, it will be online at DEPI after 9.30am Thursday 30th October.

According to the DEPI summary release, the code is now "more holistic". Changes include:

Mandatory post partum veterinary check for bitches.

Bitches are only permitted a maximum of five litters throughout their lifetime.

Both of the above had been pleaded for by many who made submissions when the former code was being written. Oh, well, better late than never.

The summary says that the new code "provides a strong stance on:

• basic record keeping to ensure traceability, consumer protection and to aid in the management of animal health and welfare;

• minimum staffing levels to ensure minimum standards of care and animal welfare in large businesses;

· a maximum number of 5 litters for female dogs; and

• mandatory veterinary care for every animal in the business."

I am hoping that last paragraph means that they have made more realistic the minimum staffing levels and wish I didn't have to wait until next week to find out the detail.

Also, those of us who submitted comments on the code, received a letter from the responsible Minister (Peter Walsh) stating that a total of $6 million dollars has been granted to the RSPCA commencing immediately with $1.5 million earmarked as enforcement for the Code of Practice.

The RSPCA says "Whilst we welcome the $6 million over 4 years for this new 'Special Investigations Unit' and it is a good start, it will require additional investment and legislative change to bring this cruel practice to an end. "

According to the Minister's letter other changes include: · introduced a ‘fit and proper person test’ for breeders. This means: ü anyone found guilty of animal cruelty offences will be banned from running, owning or managing a breeding or rearing establishment for 10 years. ü we’ll shut down existing businesses being run by people who have been found guilty of animal cruelty in the past. · introduced compulsory detailed records for pet shops to ensure animal traceability. This means: ü pet shops will be forced to keep detailed records on the source of every dog and cat they have for sale. ü these records can be used by Council and RSPCA officers to investigate and prosecute illegal puppy and kitten farms who are doing the wrong thing.The Minister also claims to have granted greater powers for the RSPCA to investigate puppy and kitten farms. RSPCA (VIC) are pleased that all major parties in this state election have an anti-puppy farming platform.

Frankly, I will be placing my votes not based on promised, but on past performance of the candidates and their parties. I have no faith in electioneering promises.

And I will be looking closely at the new changes when they come into effect next week.

The Code ONLY applies to registered animal breeder and rearing businesses, not to BYBs or accredited organisation members with less than 10 fertile animals. Legislation and regulations never apply to those who are happy to disregard the law, I would have liked to see funds allocated for education but at least there has been some extra funding to police the new legislation although not everyone will be pleased with the enforcement being left to RSPCA (VIC).

What a bloody joke - if having only 5 litters per bitch and needing a post partum vet check is really needed to be sure its done for the benefit of the bitch and not vets then why doesnt every single bitch come under this legislation? Nothing based on science and all still a crock.

Exactly!

If you want to be even more frustrated, take a look at Victorian Labor Party's online facebook page. One of their sitting members hosted a 'discussion' tonight on there to answer any questions about Labor's puppy farm platform.

Apparently limiting everyone in the entire state to owning 10 entire dogs as an absolute maximum is going to improve life for every dam and sire in the state. I can see that going down really well on large properties with working dogs, where they are kept entire so that the best workers can be chosen for reproduction duties...let alone ANKC members who may be campaigning a whole stable of dogs without constantly breeding them. But the politicians think that anyone owning more than 10 entire dogs must be a puppy farmer, regardless of whether they actually produce or sell any puppies at all. AL activists must be rejoicing.

It won't stop illegal puppy farms - only severely increasing the penalties for being caught will deter the illegals. And policing online advertising is "tricky" according to one MP, probably why no party is promising that.icon_smile_mad.gif

Owning and Breeding dogs is a legal activity and its difficult to see how one state can restrict someone's ability to do what they want on their property as long as they comply with codes and laws and restrict trade anyway. It means people in other states have the ability to own and breed more dogs than Victorians.

Are they seriously telling us they can wave a magic wand and remove people's rights and simply just shut down already established businesses after they have made them spend hundreds of thousands to operate?

Apparently, existing domestic animal businesses will have until 2020 to phase out entire bitches over the number 10 limit according to Labor MP who was answering (or dodging) questions on the issue on the FB page Wednesday night.

I honestly don't see it happening - the bureaucrats who get nice little kick backs from the entrenched interests won't let it happen - we saw this already with the Coalition government attempt.

Smoke and mirrors is about right.

How do they expect to be able to tell the big guns that have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to comply with their crap codes who have hundreds of dogs on their property to "phase them out to 10" ? Seeing is believing.

and yet again, they have only listened to the AR mobs who have no idea on practical animal husbandry, or the need to actually protect fragile newborns from unnecessary vet visits, no lets expose them all to a vet surgery so they can catch god knows what or cause the new mother who may already be stressed to want to have nothing to do with the babies instead of being allowed time and space to bond with them. Yep, brilliant idea.