Dogs That Hate Visiting The Vet

Yonjuro

My dog used to "pant and pace" at the vets, almost worst than a thunderstorm. I also had to put a muzzle on her when we were in the room, the vet couldn't get near her until head was safely tucked under my arm - she was about 6kg JRT. She would also cling to me like a koala if I picked her up.

My old SBT girl always hated going to the vets. She'd usually pee, poo or puke in the waiting area or consult room to express her dissatisfaction. Since the vet staff knew us well it ceased to be embarrassing. On her very last trip to the vet to be pts we didn't give it any thought. She was injected and we stayed with her and were just talking to her, stroking to her and kissing her. Then suddenly we heard a splashing noise and my sister and I started to laugh through our tears when we saw urine pouring everywhere off the table onto the floor - there seemed to be litres of it!. Two vet nurses we knew well came in and started laughing too. I know it is probably a normal body reflex after a dog has passed but that was so typical Ricky, letting us know she wasn't happy about being at the vet by leaving a big mess behind!

Zig has started shaking when he goes to our vet - no idea why.. It has happened the last two times, when I take him out of the car at the vets, he shakes. Not like when they shake water off, actually shaking like nervous type shaking.

He doesn't seemed scared once he is in there but walking to the door, shaking the whole way.

Stan loves the vet! He bounds in dragging me wagging his tail madly and trying to drag me out the back to the surgery, considering all the awful things that have happened to him I don't understand it but that's Stan. Maddie HATES it. She wimpers when we pull into the carpark and then trembles uncontrollably the whole time poor little chicken :(

Edited by HazyWal

Our sheltie, Shelley, was a drama queen .... but she went full on at the vet's.

At the UQ clinic, the vets used to wear white coats. First sight of a white coat & Shelley went into reverse. She wouldn't walk to the examination room...she'd toboggan down on her bottom, pulled along by her lead, because the corridor was a smooth concrete slope. On the exam table, she'd shake so hard that the big heavy metal table would shake, too. The vet used to assign students the job of checking her vitals... like taking temperature. That'd take 4 students... on the floor, not the shaking table.

As soon as she stepped outside the clinic, Shelley, would switch back to her high-stepping, happy self. No permanent damage. I honestly think she enjoyed the drama... & the attention.

Mita that sounds like my basset, Jester, we get to the door at the vets and he puts the brakes on. He can't be dragged so I have to go and move his front legs run to his back end do those legs, back to the front etc until we are through the door. Once we are inside he complies with all requests reluctantly but he is just waiting for when he is allowed to make an escape. He won't even take treats from the vet, he looks the other way with a look of disdain.

BJ, I love how Jester will only enter the vet's if you move his legs for him. :) But I'm impressed that once inside he complies even tho' it's reluctant. Shelley figured she could wreck the system if she kept shaking ...!