Teeth Cleaning

Airedaler

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their website is not very forthcoming with information. It doesn't even tell us where this vet dentist is located. It seems they are somewhere in Victoria.

I would really like to know how they relax dogs and particularly cats enough to be able to carry out the anaesthesia free dental procedure. The animals would already be stressed simply by being in an unfamiliar environment. It is beyond my imagination to picture animals 'opening wide' on the command by the dentist.

The concept is great but I would like more information about how this is done.

I agree there is little information on the website. They are located at Dandenong (it is on their FB page) but they are a mobile service so will come to your home.

I'm tempted to try them.

Edited by Airedaler

there's another one who's been advertising on facebook for a few weeks now, not associated with this bloke. I asked if she sedates them at all or if she's a vet. No to both questions. I too wonder how they manage it. A few of the photos show the dog just laying there and I cannot help wondering if it's had a sedative. I wonder if they let you stay and watch.

there's another one who's been advertising on facebook for a few weeks now, not associated with this bloke. I asked if she sedates them at all or if she's a vet. No to both questions. I too wonder how they manage it. A few of the photos show the dog just laying there and I cannot help wondering if it's had a sedative. I wonder if they let you stay and watch.

If they are doing it at your home they would be hard pressed to stop you from watching.

I would very much like to know how they keep the dogs still enough to carry out the procedure. There are lots of before and after pics on the FB page and it's stated that they don't sedate the dogs. I can't imaging my dogs lying perfectly still while all this is going on.

Wow, that video is really good, makes me want to run out and buy some dental tools and do my own dogs if they ever need it. Tag and Puck dont but Feather occasionally needs to have a bit of plaque picked off and I'm told IGs are notorious for having bad teeth.

Both people advertising have worked in the US too so I would assume that they trained there to do the procedure.

My horse dentist was really, really good with horses. No drugs needed. He just had this calming presence about him. I did use a vet once who had to drug the horse that the dentist just used to do drug-free. So I would imagine it is the same with dogs.

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT THIS IS AS GOOD AS A VETERINARY DENTAL PROCEDURE OR EVEN COMPARABLE!!

It is really quite upsetting that this is sneaking into Australia because it has caused so many problems in the US :cry:

Sorry for the caps but this is how much I believe in it. Scaling the tooth is cosmetic only because there is no possible way to get under the gumline to do a full examination. It is not just about the dog sitting still. And if you think of the risk of bacteria getting into the blood stream via the infection under the gum and causing infections in the heart and liver then you can understand that it is simply not worth the risk of not having a proper dental done.

Jules- equine dentistry is about rasping the top of the tooth down, not about probing under the gum. That being said we are starting to realise that Gingivitis and periodontal disease is actually a huge problem in horses too and vets are now starting to treat this during equine dentals as well as ensuring the teeth glide appropriately.

Please go to this link see why http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/perils-anesthesia-free-dentistry-pets

ETA this link http://www.avdc.org/dentalscaling.html

ETA- Just watched a video and I didn't get past 'Step 2'- that wasn't even close to an appropriate full oral exam :(

Edited by Jumabaar