Blackhawk Sells Out To Foreign Ownership

Dr_Joan

Does foreign ownership matter?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather buy an Australian Owned & Made product?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masterpet Australia is a subsidiary of Masterpet Corporation which is a NZ company. So not really accurate to say it is Australian owned. The 2 companies even have the same CEO, who interestingly is based in Australia.

Exactly my thoughts. I'd say they were Australian run and managed, not Australian owned. But I don't think it matters too much, if people wish to buy a food that supports the Australian economy then they're still doing so.

As for the poll, I'm one of the few that voted no. I'd rather by a decent food regardless of where it was made (as long as standards are met). But saying that, if there were two decent products on the shelf for a similar price, one Australia, one international, then I would buy the Aussie food.

I grew up in England, pretty much all the food came from overseas...!

I try to support local business as much as possible. I raw feed, but as a back up I feed K9 Natural (made in my city! Christchurch, NZ). We buy Ziwipeak as treats sometimes too, but K9 is more readily available here.

I have seen BlackHawk sold in NZ recently, and think I saw some breed shows being sponsored too, but it doesn't seem to have taken off. We have a few good kibbles available here so it's a hard market to get into I think. There are a few NZ made kibbles, then the imported ones like Orijen, Acana, Go! and Now Fresh or whatever it is called... And the Organic kibbles, then all the commercial ones (Hills, Royal Canin etc etc)

Masterpet Australia is a subsidiary of Masterpet Corporation which is a NZ company. So not really accurate to say it is Australian owned. The 2 companies even have the same CEO, who interestingly is based in Australia.

Exactly my thoughts. I'd say they were Australian run and managed, not Australian owned. But I don't think it matters too much, if people wish to buy a food that supports the Australian economy then they're still doing so.

I think it matters because Australian owned implies the profits stay here. BH state on their website that they are 100% Australian made and owned. Yet Masterpet is a wholly owned subsidiary of the NZ parent entity EBOS.

I try to support local business as much as possible. I raw feed, but as a back up I feed K9 Natural (made in my city! Christchurch, NZ). We buy Ziwipeak as treats sometimes too, but K9 is more readily available here.

I feed pretty much the same as you, raw, K9 Natural and Ziwipeak. :D Love the stuff.

• 9 months later...

Australian made Ivory Coat is gaining popularity

I used to use Black Hawk for training and treats - my dogs are raw fed mostly. Last two bags (same product) were a smaller size kibble, and the bags were full of fines.

My dogs won some Ivory Coat at a trial. All three dogs liked it and did well on it, so I switched them over. Much easier to get now there is local stockist too. The Ivory Coat Lamb & Roo is a great size for treats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Second price rise since the aqcuisition 9 months ago.Time to vote with my wallet.Good bye Black hawk it was fun but you got greedy and now its over.

If you are going to vote with your wallet...then I would be interested in what you are going to buy for the same value :) The price of raw ingredients especially protein has skyrocketed in the last six months. So if we still want to buy kibble that has Australian ingredients, then maybe we are going to have to pay for it. I am a farmer & the prices for beef & lamb are the best on record...not that it is any use to us farmers as we have nothing left to sell...hence the sharp rise in prices.

It has come a long way from the days of being called Holistic Lamb and Rice in a plain white bag. I still need therapy!

Holistic Lamb and Rice is/was different. BH has always been BH

No it was actually called Holistic Lamb & Rice. There were a couple out at the same time called that, most of them didn't have as good ingredients.

And so we do not have another extremely long 'discussion' about this food here is one of the threads that it was originally mentioned in with the owner saying it isn't branded but is called Holistic Lamb & Rice. I guess she branded it because of the confusion.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/182949-holistic-dog-cat/page__p__4147588__fromsearch__1#entry4147588