Seriously?

Stressmagnet

I've just been told by a dog trainer that I've been leaving Ernie alone too long and perhaps I should rethink the whole dog idea.

I'm devastated.

You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful I thought I'd post here before I do something drastic - like rehome him.

Ernie's day:

7am - brekkie then out in the garden for an hour to toilet and avoid the bickering and chaos that goes with two teenage girls getting ready for school.

8:00 - in car for the school run, takes all up ½ hour.

8:30/45 - 9:30/10 - walk with me. On lead, off lead, training. Sometimes we stop in at the local pet store on the way home.

10am- 1:pm - outside in our 800sq back yard where he has a wooden dog house, toys stuffed with treats. He's usually so buggered from his walk that he lies on the the balcony of his dog house or flops by the back door. During this time, I'm either out and about doing cancer'd things or cleaning house. Total time outside alone had never exceeded 4 hours since we got him.

1pm- 3:30pm - inside with me. He joins me in his bedtime crate while I take a chemo rest. He can see me and loves his bed and his snuggle duck.

3:30- 4:45- girls home from school. He gets at least another ½ walk or play time with them till close to 5, when they come in to do homework.

4:45-6pm he's outside while I cook dinner, and relearn year 9 algebra, year 6 grammar and learn how little I know about everything.

6pm - 10pm he's inside. Has his dinner, then does some training inside, usually spends his evenings destroying a chew toy and flopped at my feet.

11pm - bed.

On the weekends - an hour walk with me on the Saturday, then the girls hang with him on and off sporadically till dinner time but he still comes inside for my chemo nap.

Sunday's - we take him to the beach for a couple of hours or to a labrador meet and greet. He's outside again until dinner.

Is this not enough family/people interaction? The beagle next door is left alone outside from 8-6 each day, and when I worked full time, yeah, sometimes if I couldn't make it home for lunch (which I did most days), the AmStaff spent 6 hours alone outside.

I thought this was ok. Not ideal but I did my best.

With Ernie, the breeder kept him outside all the time.

We are happy to have him inside as much as we can but he's a labrador and bouncy and gets underfoot if I'm trying to clean or in the girls way in the morning.

The trainer said if I'm home, and I want a happy dog, he should be with me. Inside.

Thoughts? This dog has really stolen my heart and I'm really upset if I've not been doing the best by him.

Edited by Stressmagnet

You need new trainers.

Simple.

perhaps mention to the trainer that they may need to rethink this whole training position thing ....

:grouphug:

How awful for you - when you are putting so much time & effort & worry into raising Ernie !

You have the dog indoors when convenient .. spend heaps of time with him doing family stuff - he has, structure, training and company and he has his own space AND IS HAPPY TO BE THERE!! Important and wonderful :)

Edited by persephone

He sounds like a very lucky puppy! And he doesn't sound distressed by anything you're doing - believe me you'd know about it if he was!

Our boy likes to be with us all the time when we're home, and makes it very clear he's not ok with being shut outside, ever. (ie if the door is shut and we're inside there will be loud, shrill barking!) But, he's very happy to go outside when we go to work, and he's usually home all day without us. Neighbours have said he's pretty relaxed when we're not there. On the rare occasions I pop home in my lunch break to see him, he's usually fast asleep in his kennel, or on his outside bed, or under a tree...

Are there particular behaviours that your trainer thinks are due to insufficient attention? It sounds ridiculous to me. Find a new trainer...

I think you need a new trainer!

I would give anything to spend that much time with our 11 mo GSP but like most people, I have to work work to make sure my dog has the lifestyle he is accustomed to. I dont think he is worse for it - he still gets walked twice a day and has plenty to keep him occupied. I also think it is important that they spend at least some time alone. It sounds like you are committed to doing regular short training sessions and he is happy to chill out inside and out when required. In my opinion this is much better than someone who has a dog inside constantly but doesnt do anything to work their brain.

I would say...get another dog trainer :eek: Ask the dog trainer how much time he/she spends with her/his dog. I find with my dogs (BC's) ...they look forward to their walk, agility training & maybe a swim after breakfast (about 1 hour all up). Another walk late in the afternoon & a bit of fun/trick training/or just plain snuggling, before bed. Even though I am home all day, most days, all they do is sleep :)

Edited by sheena

He's not showing anything other than the sad lab face if I happen to shake the mop over the deck while I'm cleaning. He's usually sacked out or yes, digging - but I know they grow out of digging and he's confined it to one spot. He zooms around the back yard but I guess he likes hanging near the back door on the off chance...

He does love being around people, but he's not crying or whimpering when he's outside. The beagle next door keeps up a non stop bark every 10 minutes for the whole day.

And this isn't my dog trainer, just someone I met through a mutual friend. The trainer Ernie's been going to is someone I haven't asked because I didn't want to look goosey.

So if I'm reading these responses right, I'm doing ok and he doesn't need to be constantly with me if I'm home?

Oops - I lie. He occasionally whimpesr for 5-10 minutes but settles once it's clear I'm busy. That's the worst he gets.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I am a firm believer that owners giving their dogs 24/7 access to them are doing their dogs a great disservice.

Sounds like you are mixing everything up very well for your dog.

Just make sure he's not getting too much walking at his age... everything else seems as good as if not better than most of the pets dogs that I know of.

Your trainer sounds like a knob, unless he misunderstood what you are aiming for with your dog or interpretation/communication has fallen down somewhere.

So if I'm reading these responses right, I'm doing ok and he doesn't need to be constantly with me if I'm home?

Yes, you are doing OK, you are doing great. No he doesn't constantly need to be with you, he knows how to be alone and that is good.

Don't worry about what that "trainer" said. You are doing a good job and seem to care for him very much. :)

Edited by silentchild

This trainer considers herself an expert and reckons Labradors are people focussed dogs and by 'confining him outside when he wants to be with me', I'm weakening the bond between owner and dog. She trains agility and obedience dogs - kelpies and Border Collies are her own dogs. She says Labs 'should be part of the family'.

I grew up in a family where dogs were outside all the time. They never came in. I've never wanted that and all my dogs, while not having free rein to go in and out as they please, ARE part of the family. Or so I thought.

Because Erbie spent the first 6 months as an outside kennel dog, we are working on inside manners but he does really well. After he comes in, he gets 15 of training then goes to his place for a bit and then on and off during the evening (Unless The Walking Dead is on) we gently reinforce the settle; the sit; the stay and the 'get the hell out of the kitchen lol'. He has chewies on his mat (place) but yeah, the girls and I are chatting to each other in the evening too - we aren't 100% focussed on him if he's quiet and behaving. A few 10 mins structured training and quieter indoor games at odd times during the evening then back and quiet on his place.

I dunno. Does this woman want me to be totally and utterly focussed on him all the time since I got him late and he's a pup? He's pretty well behaved I reckon - except for normal pup stuff (digging, stealing my gorilla slippers and my youngest teddy who he covets).

I guess I'm just confused. He IS part of our family but he's not my child, he's my dog.

And it's not always convenient to take him everywhere, he doesn't fit in a handbag! I know he'd LIKE it, but isn't part of dogdom being able to handle being separated calmly and confidently?

This friend of a friend trainer doesn't sound like they know much about dogs at all.

By what you've described, your Lab has a great life! Plenty of people interaction, training and walks, and he's obviously quite settled in this routine, dogs don't need to be with you 24/7.

Ps. I'm partially lame (thank you cancer!) do our hour and a bit walk is pretty leisurely - all up maybe 4kms. With off leash time in that. I know he should only have ½ hour at his age so I don't press the girls too much if they just want to free play or teach him tricks.

You are doing an amazing job! Sounds like Erbie is going to grow up to be a very well adjusted doggie!!

I also agree... new trainer time! :) pats on the back to you for what an amazing home you are providing to your dog.