Seriously?

Stressmagnet

Umm most sporting dogs are pets too...

Yep! My dogs are titled in 4 sports in total and are currently very active in agility and retrieving. I just did 5-10 min training with each one and, apart from that, they have entertained themselves for much of the day (Em running up the back block and Zig snoozing in the sunshine). I also take classes and the main thing I draw from my experiences is simplify, simplify, simplify!

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

My dogs train, and do dog sports - have titles- and they are just pet dogs as well.

very occassionally they spend a majority of the day in their yard with each oterh but no humans. I cannot take them everywhere and it is not a reasonable expectation.

*waving white flag*

I get it.

Sporting dogs are pets too.

Understood. Just didn't express myself well as usual.

I think she was trying to tell me that there may be parts of a dog's makeup you encourage more than if you are aiming for a couch potato dog.

I promise I will repeat 'sporting dogs are pets too' 300 times before I get to sleep again tonight.

Thank you all for taking the time to post your input and advice. Thank you a LOT for educating me - it's what I come here for, after all.

*waving white flag*

I get it.

Sporting dogs are pets too.

Understood. Just didn't express myself well as usual.

I think she was trying to tell me that there may be parts of a dog's makeup you encourage more than if you are aiming for a couch potato dog.

I promise I will repeat 'sporting dogs are pets too' 300 times before I get to sleep again tonight.

Thank you all for taking the time to post your input and advice. Thank you a LOT for educating me - it's what I come here for, after all.

Oh gosh, I wasn't having a go at you. More pointing out the instructor that told you that is a wally.

With mine they have to have an off button in the house. They lie down on their bed/lounge whatever and there is no leaping around/pacing. When I am training them I have them amped, kinda like a controlled explosion.

Interestingly I was talking to someone one day who said they didn't think they could cope with the energy of a Whippet - I was like huh?????? Then I figured they had only ever seen my three at training. Yes they are up, amped, bouncing and pushing for more. At home they are on the lounge and you are lucky to get an open eye if you poke them to get them to move!

:D

Thank you. I wasn't being all 'poor me", honest. I didn't get that sporting dogs HAVE an 'off' switch myself - so there you go. Hence white flag waving. :D

I laugh when folks ask how I can 'manage' such a high energy pup as my lab Ernie with my illness.

Um, I walk him once a day, bombard him with mind games and all he wants in the evening is lie his head on my feet.

Of course, he does some digging in the garden, helps with taking the laundry off the line and solar light removal at various times but really, he's CHILL.

Edited by Stressmagnet

:D

Thank you. I wasn't being all 'poor me", honest. I didn't get that sporting dogs HAVE an 'off' switch myself - so there you go. Hence white flag waving. :D

I recall near falling off my chair when a friends' Guide dog showed me his off switch. Midas had had his harness taken off.

That equated time to play! Time to voom & hoon around. After that I would take both of them to the park for outings a few times a month.

The other occasion was visting the home of a Police Dog handler. This big boof shepherd was in a wading pool making fluffies & barking in delight.

:)

He's usually sacked out or yes, digging - but I know they grow out of digging and he's confined it to one spot.

Uhmmm? No one told that to my 10 yr old Lab.

Don't

Say

That.

EVER AGAIN. ;)

;) once a habit is ingrained, and pleasureable ... ;) As long as he has 'his spot' it should be OK.

I think you are doing a wonderful job! Trying to deal with cancer is draining mentally :) and physically ,and you are taking wonderful care of your Ernie as well.I think my too would be jealous of his routine ,and I'm home all day..Sending you hugs and give yourself a big pat on the back.You are a great dog owner. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Your timeline is probably a best case scenario, people cannot help but to exaggerate in their favour. In no way do I think you area bad dog owner but I dont think you are as great as you are trying to put across.

"This dog has really stolen my heart" - If this was me I would have the dog inside all of the time.

"On the weekends - an hour walk with me on the Saturday, then the girls hang with him on and off sporadically till dinner time but he still comes inside for my chemo nap." - So he is alone outside most of the day until the girls get off their iPhones.

"Sunday's - we take him to the beach for a couple of hours or to a labrador meet and greet. He's outside again until dinner." - So this and the above, he is outside by himself most of the weekend. Sure there is some quality time, but again, we are probably getting best case scenario with weekend time being prime time for an outside dog.

I am someone who believes that all dogs should be inside with their pack, which may not be the common belief in this forum. Just don't kid yourself that you are the perfect dog owner when you are not, your dog is often outside or inside in a crate. You are a hell of a lot better than a lot of dog owners out there, but you are seeking justification in a forum for agreement that your trainer is wrong and you are a great owner, which is not the case.

I don't know the Lab breed, I would not want you to own a Stafford though, having any Stafford as an outside dog is about as cruel as it gets.

No offense intended, I have subtlety issues! In no way do I think you should re-home this dog, but you need to be realistic in regards to how perfect a dog owner you are.

• Like 1

BigDaz I don't think you have subtlety issues dude I think you have issues full stop O.o

What YOU believe means jack really and if you could point out where SM says she is the perfect dog owner that'd be great. Don't worry yourself about her owning a Stafford and leaving it outside because guess what?...she doesn't want one :shrug:

Wow. Haha. BigDaz and his staffy can live whatever life they please.

I'm not sure I can spot a positive post from this user, don't take it to heart.

My retriever is currently snuffling about in the rain by himself while we are all still in bed, door is open so he will be back, but he genuinely likes being outside sometimes.

Ignore the Grinch here, you and your family are battling through a crummy time and your dog sounds like he has a great life. Keep doing what you're doing and if you ever need a hand, call out. There's some lovely people on here