Pup Doesn't Want To Walk On A Lead

Boronia

Can anyone suggest solutions or point me to previous discussions on 'How to get your puppy to happily walk on a lead (or harness) without throwing himself on the ground and refusing to move'

My friend's Scottish Terrier pup (around 4--5months) is being stubborn, won't go for a walk even with his bestie-house-mate, a GSD. I did get him to come to me if his lead was just dragging and I sat on the floor and called him, but only if I was 1-->2m away.

he is not fussed on treats.

Thank you :)

Put a light lead on him & let him drag it around (supervised of course). What are you using for treats & is he hungry when he is doing lead training??? If not do the training before he is fed. Does he understand the clicker ???? Definately don't try & pull him along, this will only make him more stubborn. Another thing you could try is have his lead on him at dinner time & lead him to his food. Starting out a short distance away & gradually increase the distance. :) There are a few things I would try, but I think, that you need to make sure he is hungry & keen to work for his treats & use really yummy treats...not that salty stuff you buy in supermarkets. My guys turn up their noses at that & would rather work for cardboard :laugh:

My suggestion would be the same as Sheena's really. Use a light lead, and scrap the idea of going out for walks until happy walking around the house or yard. Does he like toys? Rewarding with a play session with a favourite toy instead of food can also work. Good luck!

i just stand there doing nothing when a dog does this. They get bored before you do & start to move. Then its all praise. Bit more complicated if dog struggles, rolls on ground, gets tangled thing etc but works if dog is ok with lead & only stands there.

i just stand there doing nothing when a dog does this. They get bored before you do & start to move. Then its all praise. Bit more complicated if dog struggles, rolls on ground, gets tangled thing etc but works if dog is ok with lead & only stands there.

A good idea Christina, he doesn't make a fuss, he just lies on his side with his head on the ground and his beady eyes watching and waiting to see what you are going to do next.

I reckon he's laughing :o

All food by hand while he's wearing his lead? It's been a while since I had a pup this young but I do remember my amstaff started off like this - she was stubborn. I ended up praising her for centimetres of movement!

(Edited due to fat fingers)

Edited by Stressmagnet

A good idea Christina, he doesn't make a fuss, he just lies on his side with his head on the ground and his beady eyes watching and waiting to see what you are going to do next.

Have to say he is sounding just typical of the breed!

Cheeky little buggar.

:D

Have to say he is sounding just typical of the breed!

Cheeky little buggar.

I reckon...just look at him

post-26505-0-57807100-1416180843_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the dog has all the humans trained well ,there is nothing wrong with the pup having a tainty ,alot of our show pups will do this & create holy hell ,infact there often the best showdogs because they test the waters more ,

The issue here is there is no put putting a lead on it unless there is some sort of human winning & dog not & sometimes they just need a little reminder of who is in charge & who isn't at this age it should be walking very well.

What is pup like being brushed ??

Depends on the lead being used ,i hate harness for dogs & most wont walk as they pull the arms pits .

The odd tug will not be the end of the world but the more they pander the worse it will get ,

All the Svotties i see at shows as babies are very good onleads & easy to train

I got an email this morning, perhaps some progress, but a bit of puppy-self-control would be a future training- plan. This is the email (and Zaroff is her GSD)

Thanks for the info. We took Sholto out this morning. It was a case of him bounding in excitement at cars and other dogs, putting the brakes on, curling up and being carried. I think there were too many new sensory experiences going on. I tried him without holding on when we were at the park and luckily I stepped on the leash in time to stop him disappearing into the brush. He was hard to carry when there were trees as all he wanted to do was go explore. I think he will be walking on the lead within the week as he now knows what happens to Zaroff when he goes out.

Edited by Boronia

My two toy poodles were initially discouraged by the lead (mostly hid in their crates, stubborn refusals) - but after we had them cooped up in the car for about 9 hours (with a break every 2 hours), they started to understand what the lead was for - because that was the only way to safely get them to toilet at different rest stops and for stretching their legs. Good luck - mine absolutely go nuts when I say the word "walkies!".

Sounds like the dog has all the humans trained well ,there is nothing wrong with the pup having a tainty ,alot of our show pups will do this & create holy hell ,infact there often the best showdogs because they test the waters more ,

:D Thankyou, I needed to hear that this morning. Our new Samoyed is full of attitude and throws mega tanties when he doesn't want to do something. He also gets grumpy at random strangers if they dont tell him how cute he is

:D Thankyou, I needed to hear that this morning. Our new Samoyed is full of attitude and throws mega tanties when he doesn't want to do something. He also gets grumpy at random strangers if they dont tell him how cute he is

Ah, remnds me of ZsaZsa BitchVizsla.

'tude was her second name.

He should mellow.

any photos please?

My dog was very stubborn on the lead. She would pull in all directions, at times so hard I was afraid she would choke herself. I found a very simple solution which has rectified the problem completely. I threw the lead away.

My dog was very stubborn on the lead. She would pull in all directions, at times so hard I was afraid she would choke herself. I found a very simple solution which has rectified the problem completely. I threw the lead away.

Yeah, we had another neat command for Binksie (ZsaZsa). It was Stay.

She obeyed that one like drivers obey the no speeding signs.

Man, she was a handful, that beautiful gal.

She actually loved to walk without a lead & ended up being rather good.

Ah, remnds me of ZsaZsa BitchVizsla.'tude was her second name.He should mellow.any photos please? :D

Just made a new thread for him