Puppy Sexism?

pennysmum

Hey everyone,

I know this is an odd question, but has anyone else come across strong dislike towards MALE puppies? I'm currently searching for a puppy and when I've mentioned to my acquaintances (coworkers, etc) that I want a boy, it's been met with a lot of EWW. When I question why, it's been simply because they have a penis.

Now don't get me wrong, it's perfectly FINE to want a female over a male. What I don't understand is the hate towards male puppies for no other reason than their genitalia. Some breeders even price males hundreds of dollars cheaper than their sisters because they're so unpopular (maybe there's another reason?). Also I'm talking about pet homes where they will be desexed.

I hope this topic isn't too weird, but I'll be interested to read the replies :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd much prefer a male dog as a pet. Overall I find them cleaner, more easy going and outgoing, not as stress or anxious, just more in tune with themselves and a little less needy.... But then I prefer a dog with a mind of it's own and a somewhat independant personality over a squishy wishy washy sweety lovey all over you kind of personality.

Edited by GrufLife

Yes there is a definite gender bias towards females. My female pups are always more in demand than males. This is so sad. Boys make great pets when desexed & are a little bit softer, more affectionate & less independent than girls.

People do have stupid ideas.

One lady said I like to give belly rubs & can't do that with a boy dog. Why not ?

Another time I heard a grandmother telling a child looking in a pet shop window that you don't want that puppy. Its a boy & will be dirty & cock its leg up & wee all over everything & your toys :mad. Another one said boys hump everything.

There are so many stupid ideas & people with silly attitudes to boys. I love the boys & would prefer them as pets more than the girls.

I don't think it is an odd observation at all! We are currently researching our next breed. We have a female SBT so the next pup will be a male.

We are looking at all different types of breeds but have found a bit of a gender difference in the ads for small and large breeds. Males seem to be snapped up in larger breeds but females in smaller breeds.

This is a huge generalisation based only on my observation at looking at the ads on DOL/breeders facebook pagers over the last month or so, and size and gender balance of the litters make a difference but it was obvious enough to me to make that observation!

Boys make great pets when desexed & are a little bit softer, more affectionate & less independent than girls.

We had this discussion at obedience the other day and I basically said this (above).

My boys have always been more willing ad sweet. My girls (many breeds) have been tough, independent and willful.

Neutered boys all the way for me. That said, I once made mum buy me a gelding / (strongly worded the request for) because she was always putting my mares in foal - so.... maybe I've always been a fan of boy animals.

I prefer my girls, but then again it's all i've ever had. I'm up to 5 now (counting from childhood), although the boys have definitely earnt a place in my heart and I love the affectionate nature of them and one day I will have a special boy. The penis does put me off, I won't lie! I can still give belly rubs, but I don't enjoy accidentally touching their bits - girl parts are just easier to avoid :laugh:

One thing that has put me off my girls though is the bitchiness, i've not had the experience of two females since I was about 5 and the memory is sketchy of that time (and they were both spayed). My girls have rumbles, and we have to manage them in certain situations which is not pleasant. They're not aggressive, just like two bloody teenage sisters, all yelling :mad

I'd love a nice soft boy to be my sweetheart :D

edited for clarification

Edited by dotdashdot

I think it's mainly because people who want a pet dog are embarrassed by male dog's erection. They don't want to see a penis on view as will often happen at inopportune times with male dogs.

I have a male and a female Cavalier. Both are desexed. They're both nice dogs but my boy is better behaved, more affectionate and is with me at all times. The girl is more independent and is not as attached to me as my boy.

Greater majority of our calls want a female as they think there cleaner & that girls don't lift there legs (yeah right :rofl: )

Yes in some breeds gender can be very different but i am a male person through & through & fined them way more loving .

We do have those set on a female only But after explaining most become open minded & happy to have the right pup .

Very few have said because of the male anotomy just a preconceived idea of what a male is & does

squishy wishy washy sweety lovey all over you kind of personality.

LOL. it's our bitches who fight, kill poultry, are the watchdogs , and who are the best independent workers! the boys are pretty much softies .......

Haha yes! That comment was more a breed comment than a sex comment. I prefer breeds known more for their independent and strong characters. The first thing I will be doing when I am not commuting/ living a split life is get my next Chow Chow. Right now I am just not living a life that would suit a Chow. They are my heart breed. A male Chow all the way.

Hah. Ernie was much cheaper because of his penis. I've always had female dogs and this time, I was determined to have a male. I had folks try and talk me out of it for all the reasons mentioned - girls were more protective, bonded more closely; more willing.

Not sure. Depends a lot on the dog's temperament, I think. I've had soft submissive needy girls. Ernie would have been soft and sooky if he'd been Ernestine.