Puppy Sexism?

pennysmum

What I hear the most about people preferring females over males is the "cocking of the leg" and inappropriate erections :laugh: I just laugh at the erections which for my youngsters seemed to be always on show when I was just capturing that perfect pic. :laugh: People seem to think males cock their legs on everything inside and outside, not true, none of my males have ever cocked their leg/marked inside. Cocking their legs outside is fine and doesn't worry me one bit.

Out of the 7 Labs I have had, 6 have been males and I have had multiple males at same time. I have had 2 sets of 3 males and 2 sets of 2 males at same time and in each set, one of the Labs was one that I had raised from a pup, the others were adults I adopted from completely different backgrounds ranging in age from 6-10 and all my male labs have got on fabulously with each other and they all just slotted in perfectly with the pack. My one female was a fantastic dog, who I loved dearly, but she was very independent unlike my sooky la la boys who have to be around me and all my males have been extremely affectionate and worship the ground I walk on :laugh: Whilst my preference is males, I won't say that I won't be open to adopting a female Lab in the future, depends on the dog.

I love the boys and a saying that is used quite a bit with regards to females vs males is that "females love you, males adore you", so true and also, they don't call them bitches for nothing :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were looking for a puppy I had a definite bias towards a girl - I've always had a better relationship with female dogs as opposed to male. When it comes time for a second dog I think I'll definitely lean towards boy - harmonious household and I keep reading that they're smoochers ;)

Personally I'd much prefer a male dog as a pet. Overall I find them cleaner, more easy going and outgoing, not as stress or anxious, just more in tune with themselves and a little less needy.... But then I prefer a dog with a mind of it's own and a somewhat independant personality over a squishy wishy washy sweety lovey all over you kind of personality.

Maybe it's a breed thing but in the several breeds I have had I have always preferred boys the exact opposite reasons. I love my clingy, devoted, cuddly boys who are all mine. The girls have always been much more independent and like to share themselves around. Independence is vital in females who will breed and have to be happy to stay with their babies and look after them and I have found in most breeds this tends to happen. Love my boys but when selling puppies to young families, I preferred them to have girls so that the puppy would share itself around rather than be a one person dog. In the last breed I have owned the boys are way more affectionate and the girls can be quite feisty so I chose a boy again so now have two entire males and no girls for the first time in a long time. I loved my girls but would always choose a boy out of the two for a companion dog.

I dont like having to dodge penises when cuddling or picking up a male dog. I dont like it when they get that goey blob on the end of it. I knew a woman with a large GSD who always had a drippy dick. He'd leave pus coloured blobs on her floor and she'd point to them and say clean that up so he'd go and slurp them up. :vomit:

All that said, I have 2 boys and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They mostly have clean penises thankfully.

I think it's mainly because people who want a pet dog are embarrassed by male dog's erection. They don't want to see a penis on view as will often happen at inopportune times with male dogs.

Huh. :confused: I have owned 7 entire male dogs (4 different breeds) and have never seen this happen unless they had a bitch to mate. When does it happen otherwise? I have also never had a make that humped anything other than a bitch.

As for being unclean, I find males faster and easier to housetrain and the girls have always marked outside just as much as the boys.

Some people have some really weird ideas. I find that puppy buyers tend to have heard that girls make the best pets but once the temperaments are explained they come round and are happy to take a boy as there are always way more boys available for sale than girls.

I had a heavy bias to females dogs just because I did. Had 5 GSD's females in a row with never a problem between them. Then I got my first male greyhound, as a foster, - oh boy was I in love. Since then I have a bias to male greyhounds, have owned 4 males to one female. I do now have another female greyhound and love her to bits but she was partly chosen to continue my breeding program. If I had just wanted a pet I would have chosen one of her brothers.

I think it's mainly because people who want a pet dog are embarrassed by male dog's erection. They don't want to see a penis on view as will often happen at inopportune times with male dogs.

Huh. :confused: I have owned 7 entire male dogs (4 different breeds) and have never seen this happen unless they had a bitch to mate. When does it happen otherwise? I have also never had a make that humped anything other than a bitch.

As for being unclean, I find males faster and easier to housetrain and the girls have always marked outside just as much as the boys.

Some people have some really weird ideas. I find that puppy buyers tend to have heard that girls make the best pets but once the temperaments are explained they come round and are happy to take a boy as there are always way more boys available for sale than girls.

My young male Labs have always had erections when they are excited. The amount of pics I have had had to discard showing erect penises is amazing. :laugh: My youngster who is 5 years old, still gets an erection when he is very happy which can include from doing zoomies, from me praising him or revving him up, getting him to pose for a pic or getting in a highly exciteable state around another dog, male or female. When I see it on show, I laugh and tell him to put it away. :laugh:

Are we talking about full blown 'erections ' or just a bit of lipstick poking out? Many boys will have a bit of a lippy sticking out in a sitting position. I would have thought a full blown erection with thrusting and humping ect wouldn't be the norm most days for most boys, ESP dsexed :confused:

Although Gruffy decided to get a bit over aroused during a hand stripping demo I used him for. He started thrusting and I manage to curtail it before he got too excited, but then he did it a second time and he wasn't going to stop until he was satisfied lol! Thank dog the people I was doing the class for were seasoned doggy peeps. :rofl:

My aunt is like this - can't own a boy dog because they have a penis. I think it's weird :)

Our Ma is like that.

No male dogs ever but she had 5 sons.

Go figure that one out.

Quite a few weeks ago, Horrible Herbert found he had something between his legs. He came into to show me with a kinda dazed look on his face.

Luckily he obeyed the 'crate' command. He lay there for over one hour to recover.

He's still a little shocked I just ignore him.

:rofl:

Edited by VizslaMomma

I dont like having to dodge penises when cuddling or picking up a male dog. I dont like it when they get that goey blob on the end of it. I knew a woman with a large GSD who always had a drippy dick. He'd leave pus coloured blobs on her floor and she'd point to them and say clean that up so he'd go and slurp them up. :vomit:

All that said, I have 2 boys and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They mostly have clean penises thankfully.

Such a funny description - yes I have seen similar!

Depends on the male, I think. I had a beautiful boy who was affectionate, focused and keen to work. Also always clean downstairs and never had the lipstick out when guests little kids were cuddling him :laugh:

Another boy I had always left dodgy small yellow blobby stains on the lounge/rugs etc, which I have to admit is a bit gross! And the lipstick was out all the time! He had a very sooky/soft temperament and would have been great for a family, I found him a bit soft and lacking in any kind of drive. Love my current girl's energy, determination and guts but it's all down to the individual, isn't it?

I always used to have boys and everyone always recommended boys as pets, but I think I've crossed over to the dark side now :)

I prefer girls but not because of the penis.. I am just more partial towards the girls as I like the finer, lighter build of bitches in every breed. I also like girls temperaments more. That said I have had boy dogs before and they are great fun and very dependable. Nothing against them - just a personal preference for me.

Um. My teen girls took Ernie's lipstick appearance in stride. It's appearance has been halved since he's been neutered but still makes an appearance if he's excited or happy.

I don't really think it's that big a deal. It's not a full blown erection and he's not humping other dogs.

For all the rest of the good things he brings to our family - 2cm of lipstick popping out occasionally seems fair enough. Plus the bonus is that he's so hopelessly confused about it when it happens; quite comical.

Honestly, you'd think people would go by personality and temperament not anatomy for a family pet. A semi erect penis is hardly the most traumatising thing a kid can see - there's violence and racism and sexism. But maybe that's my own hippy bias.

I kinda can understand the not part about not liking the look of a dog's penis because some dogs do have really hairy/ugly or too big ones. Zeus is just lucky I think he has quite a nice looking penis; small, neat and clean.

Zeus is actually my first male dog and I really do enjoy how much calmer and mellow they seem -- even moreso since bringing Kirah home. She is a HUGE marker and even handstand pees to get her scent the highest. Whoever said girls don't cock their legs need to meet her; she always pees on three legs.

Honestly, you'd think people would go by personality and temperament not anatomy for a family pet. A semi erect penis is hardly the most traumatising thing a kid can see - there's violence and racism and sexism. But maybe that's my own hippy bias.

We can be hippies together then.

Never been put off either. Always preferred males dogs for their loyalty & love.

Dear Dog though, never had the fun with them that I had with ZsaZsa BitchGirl Vizsla. She was a proper tart. Got us disqualified from Obedience because of her wilful nature more than once. If one can have two Heart dogs, then ZsaZsa was that.

:D

Italian greyhounds have disproportionately large genitals. They are very well endowed for such little dogs, and randy too!! Always lots of humping and conga lines with Iggies, it's not just the boys who have biggies either........... the number of photos I have decided NOT to post of Neko might surprise you. I've even done some photographic surgery (labiectomies) on her when it was distracing. :o

A penis seriously gets in the way of a good belly rub.

I also hate the way that people with boy dogs let them cock their legs on everything including my stuff, my beach bag, my towel, my shoes, my agility equipment, and they've cost the dog club thousands in needing to replace rusted out light poles.

But that's really the owner's fault.

My brother's dog cocks its leg inside my mum's house and then my dog has to leave an adjacent message - but at least that's on the floor.

I do know some girl dogs cock legs too but it's not quite as persistent and invasive as what the boy dogs do.

personality wise - I like both boy dogs and girl dogs and haven't noticed much difference. My current desexed bitch is independent, wilful and impossibly soft (yell at her - she rolls over immediately and is insecure and sulky for days).

Italian greyhounds have disproportionately large genitals. They are very well endowed for such little dogs, and randy too!! Always lots of humping and conga lines with Iggies, it's not just the boys who have biggies either........... the number of photos I have decided NOT to post of Neko might surprise you. I've even done some photographic surgery (labiectomies) on her when it was distracing. :o

ROFLOLAWMP

Soz that is the most hilarious post EVER.

Simply because it is true.

Dear Dog, what a thread.

:rofl: