Licky Licky Licky

Stressmagnet

Hey

Any ideas on how to train out or reduce the about of licking my pup boy does? No one can stroke or pat him without being covered in kisses. He's submissive by nature so I'm assuming that this is part of the issue.

Yesterday I left puppy class with both knees dripping with slobber.

We've tried going 'YUCK!' And removing ourselves but he's a determined kisser. And I'd really like to he able to give him a stroke or a pat without bring constantly slimed.

Gruf is a slurper too! He has to lick everything. His favourite thing is to lick my legs while I put his walking collar on. I think it is his default behaviour to calm over excitement.

Edited by GrufLife

Excessive licking can be a sign of anxiety or pent up energy. Giving him more excercise might help, or train him by ignoring or walking away when he licks and praising him at times when he's acting calm. You could also train him to lick on command by using a keyword like "lick" or "kiss" ;)

Dog's don't tend to like citrus, so you could use a lemon or orange soap or body wash. That might help.

I accidentally cured my brother's dog of licking my toes...

I put Rid on them to keep the mozzies away. I'm not 100% sold on it as mozzie repellent but it sure worked on the dog. It is a bit toxic tho - in sufficient quantity.

I second the idea of using some sort of lemon rub or lemon oil (in water) misted onto where you don't want licked. My dog will not eat citrus - tho I do know some dogs that will.

Otherwise - having some sort of toy you can swap for your trousers or just grab the collar and hold your puppy away from what he is trying to lick for 3 seconds, then releasing him to make a choice again - then repeat the grab and hold off... loads of praise, ear rubs etc, if he decides not to lick...

Putting the lick on cue is also a good idea. Putting my dog's bark on cue and then rewarding the pre-bark is how I taught my dog to be quiet...

so combination of cueing the lick and the collar grab and choice and not rewarding any lick that is not cued... not with anything (no yelling, no squealing or flapping - just a quiet calm boring collar grab and hold off).

You might also train something that is a bit incompatible with the lick - like a sit... if he's sitting hopefully he can't reach to lick and you can reward that. and the licking is something they do for food and comfort - so if you can meet that need in some other way... that may help with the less licking.

One other thing I did to stop my dog mouthing - was to push my hand that she'd grabbed - slowly and gently towards the back of her throat until she noticed and tried to spit me out - hold for one second and let her spit me out - ie take the fun out of it.

Jager is a licker. I hate it. The occasional one I am fine with but once he gets started he can go forever. I stopped it by saying "Ugh" or "No" in a grumbly voice, and turning away or moving away. That generally stopped him. Now he will give me one or two and then stop himself. My OH is different, he loves the slobbery kisses and will lay there and take them. Jager will happily lick his ear or face for 15mins before deciding he has had enough and doze off to sleep.