Does Anyone Leave Aircon On For Their Dogs?

Guest donatella

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the timer so it comes on late morning or mid afternoon, depending on the severity of the weather. That way you don't have to let it run all day. These days some of the modern ones can be controlled remotely using apps. If you close off as many rooms as possible you won't have to have it at such a low temp setting. I set mine between 21 - 25.

Yep in the old house I used to leave it on for the day if the temp was climbing into the high 30's and beyond - or subsidise the mother to have them in her aircon. Although I didn't like the increase in power bills I figured it was still cheaper than a vet bill. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Same here, I am super paranoid about house fires starting when I am not home. All the talk of CO2 poisoning is worrying me too. My RE agent is refusing to get the aircon serviced even tho it hasn't been serviced in over 2 years, so there's no way I'd leave it on with nobody home. All power switches are turned off when I leave home too.

I wouldn't feel safe leaving an aircon running either. I agree with others about appliances and switch everything off if leaving the house :)

Especially at this time of year with storms a regular occurrence, we unplug everything if going out for the day ... The lightning strikes very close to us on a regular basis :eek:

The dogs can always find a cool spot on the floor somewhere.

I have been known to leave the ac on for my dog but so far this season - haven't needed to. It takes at least 5 days of stinky hot with the doors or windows open for this house to heat up. My last house - was a flat uninsulated tin roof with brick walls - and what ever temp it was outside - it was the same inside - immediately. But I don't live there any more.

I can clean the dust off my AC filter - so I figure that's enough. Fires can start even when no device is switched on - my brother lost all his stuff when an electric blanket he didn't even know was on the bed he was in - decided to set the bed on fire... So I am extremely paranoid about having those plugged in - I've been zapped by one as well (Bendigo in winter - dodgy motel - FFS COLD).

Rats can stuff up wiring in roofs too. I guess if you think it is a possibility you need to be able to check your wiring. Or have some sort of safety switch that would cut out. And maybe a sprinkler system like offices have. Most house fires around here - are started by smokers who fall asleep or people who are into incense, candles and flammable curtains.

If it's going to be hot, I close the house up early, shutters down, curtains pulled & put air con on so living area is cool before I leave. Dogs can get out & in dog door if they need to. I also never leave air con running if I'm not home.

Agree they find the cool spots. Will often come in to find my lot stretched out on the kitchen or bathroom tiles.

Guest donatella

What kind of aircon have you got? Evap can be pretty cheap even if left on. You won't need it super cool.

It's a wall aircon, what's evap?

Guest donatella

Ahhhh problem I have is I have no way to air the apartment out as no security screens and I'm not leaving the doors open as we are only level 2 so easy to get into. Dammit

My understanding that it is better anyway to leave it on if it is going to be a hot day, as the AC uses more power to cool down a super hot room (as opposed to putting it on in the morning where it is just 'maintaining' the existing room temp). At least that is what the Aircon people have told me!

My understanding that it is better anyway to leave it on if it is going to be a hot day, as the AC uses more power to cool down a super hot room (as opposed to putting it on in the morning where it is just 'maintaining' the existing room temp). At least that is what the Aircon people have told me!

That's what I've been told as well. So far our summer bills haven't been too bad at all, at least compared to the winter ones!

That's what I've been told as well. So far our summer bills haven't been too bad at all, at least compared to the winter ones!

My winter bills don't look too bad until I add up the cost of firewood, way more expensive than Summer!

I am also a tough (ex) QLDer so I don't use the AC willy nilly. It has to be predicted to be close to or over 40 before I would put it on (but my house does stay quite cool naturally)

Edited by huski